Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion Steel Wheels/Winter Tyres/Snow chains

JockMacMad said:
Friday, heading home. Got three quarters of the way up Skye and the torrential rain gave way to blizzard conditions. Stuck behind two cars crawling up a hill at 20mph. Didn't look like they were going to make so bit the bullet and went up the wrong side.

Was totally upset the the warp jump never happened like it does in the movies when all those white dots are flying past.

Just make sure you have your wellies in the bus jock... :thumb

Just ordered some Dunlop LT60 SP's to hopefully be fitted next week - 215/60/R17 - although I had a bit of trouble sourcing some in the Peterborough area! I managed to buy a brand new set of the 17" steels pictured in the earlier post last year so I'm gonna swap wheels over every 6 months. Only concern was that wheels are 7.5JX17 and VW recommend 7JX17 wheels for that size tyre. Tyre garage assures me that this shouldn't be a problem but I don't really know much about matching wheels to tyres! Does anyone know if this will be ok??

Then need to get some snow chains ready for Xmas trip to French Alps!!

Hi Guys

Off to the Alps his coming ski season so am looking at winter tyres for our Cali 4 motion DSG.

What is the reason for swapping to steel wheels?

I have 18" Canberra alloys on ours Would these be ok with winter tyres? And can you get them for that size?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Guys

Off to the Alps his coming ski season so am looking at winter tyres for our Cali 4 motion DSG.

What is the reason for swapping to steel wheels?

I have 18" Canberra alloys on ours Would these be ok with winter tyres? And can you get them for that size?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers

Phil
Hi Phil,
I imagine that it is purely down to practicality and cost.
Unless you get someone to change the tyres on your alloy rims twice a year, then, it makes sence to have a second set of wheels with winters fitted. Also, why expose your expensive alloys to the corrosion caused by salted winter roads. Have your winters fitted to the cheaper and easier to keep clean steel wheels instead. Of course, it only makes sense if your have the space to keep the spare set.

Hi Phil,
I imagine that it is purely down to practicality and cost.
Unless you get someone to change the tyres on your alloy rims twice a year, then, it makes sence to have a second set of wheels with winters fitted. Also, why expose your expensive alloys to the corrosion caused by salted winter roads. Have your winters fitted to the cheaper and easier to keep clean steel wheels instead. Of course, it only makes sense if your have the space to keep the spare set.
Hi Borris

Good point. I have space to store a spare set of wheels. I guess winter tyres for a 17" steel is much cheaper than the lower profile 18". I will look around at prices. Cheers. Phil

As Phil asked I'd like a heads up on All Season in 235/50/18 if anyone has info, also how about snow chain recommendations for that size rim, will they it behind/inbound side!!! gulp!

For a 4Motion i believe you would have to have snow chains on All 4 wheels otherwise you would have different rolling radii on the wheels which would screw up the Haldane 4 wheel drive system.

For a 4Motion i believe you would have to have snow chains on All 4 wheels otherwise you would have different rolling radii on the wheels which would screw up the Haldane 4 wheel drive system.
Thats an interesting point although I have read somewhere on this forum that VW only recommends fitting chains on the front wheels of a 4 motion. Personally if it gets that dicey and the winter tyres aren't coping then its game over for me. We will park up, turn the heating up and put the kettle on.