Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

4Motion Steel Wheels/Winter Tyres/Snow chains

S

Suffolk2526

VIP Member
Picking up our brand new Cali 4Motion DSG on Tuesday. Comes with 17" alloys. Wanting to replace this ASAP for steel wheels and winter tyres (already x2 skiing trips planned for coming season). Your expert advice would be very much appreciated:-

1. Am I correct to assume 16" (as fitted on 140;s)wheels wouldn't fit because of brake calliper size?
2. Steel wheels - advice on where to source and "ball-park- figure" what I should expect to pay?
3. Tyres - good/bad experience with any particular brand/model?
4. Snow chain recommendations?

Sorry if this a bit of a naive/newbie sort of topic but I feel as if I'm walking into a minefield!!

Cheers

Jim :thanks

No 16" wheels for a 180 Cali that's correct .... No specific snow tyres for 4 motion ...I think there's a winter tyre thread for all you snow drivers ..
I'm not that hardcore to stay in the Cali on a ski holiday .. I do like alittle treat of a hotel ....lol

I have a set of VW 17" steel wheels with mud/snow tyres for sale, in as new condition......... :D

Oli can you let me know how much. Header uuuup north at the end of next week and it may be time for me to consider the bad weather possibilities :)

Thanks so for for comments and for looking!
Picked up Cali yesterday and fitted with Dunlop 235/55/17 tyres.
Would be logical to fit winter tyres of same dimensions and get snow chains to fit.
HOWEVER - looking at Owner's Manual the manual states that snow chains must only be used with following Tyre size/Wheel Combination:

215/60 R17 7J x17 offset 55/56

This is a narrower tyre with a deeper wall.

Should I opt of this size tyre for my winter set or stick with original tyre size??

Again advice/ experiences would be really helpful.

Cheers

JIm :thanks

narrower deeper profile tyres cut through the mud ,snow better ,as shown on 4x4's (unless they have replaced like a chelsea tractor bling wheel) :D

We've just put on our all weather set of 17 inch steels, to replace the 18s we usually run that have summer tyres. These are the Mud and Snow Goodyear vector 215/60 tyres that VW supply (we bought our set from Oli). There is very little clearance to the calipers on the 180.

Being all weather you can run them when the outside temperature is above 7 degrees (which I read causes excess wear for full winter tyres); summer tyres have degraded grip below 7 degrees. So all weather is the only sensible uk winter choice.

A narrower tyre should be better in the snow (more kg/mm2 of contact patch) not that our vehicles lack weight... Note the rolling radius is the same due to the higher profile.

£500-£600 seems to be the going rate for a set of 4 with <1000 mile tyres on eBay. You can get the odd bargain if you are patient (a few of us recently got a set of 4 new wheels/tyres for £380 to share as spares)

Hope this helps,

Simon

Very helpful Simon. Take it then they fit OK in wheel arches and don't foul on limits of steering.
Have already ordered steel wheels. Now down to choice between full-on Winter tyres or All Season.

Suffolk2526 said:
Very helpful Simon. Take it then they fit OK in wheel arches and don't foul on limits of steering.
Have already ordered steel wheels. Now down to choice between full-on Winter tyres or All Season.

Full snow tyres only 'work' at temps below 7 degrees. Above that they do not have good grip & may wear badly.
So you may wish to wait for colder weather for snow tyres or stick with 'mud & snow' tyres that are all year tyres.

Suffolk2526 said:

Same rolling radius as my 18s and narrower, so no issues

Still researching but seems but when taking everything into account seems to boiling down to Goodyear Cargo Vector2 an ALL SEASON tyre

PROS:
1. Available in 215/60/17 size
2. Adequate Load Index
3. Good Reviews and recommended by VW (+to fit snow chains)
4. Temp often above 7C in UK and low altitude S Europe NOV-APR (when I plan to have these on)
5. Will be legal to drive in Austria/Swiss and Germany through winter

CONS:
1.Not full on winter tires so has to be element of compromise is really cold conditions.(However with 4MOTION and a set of snow chains should feel confident in the mountains)

Again muchos gracias for your help

Jim :hello

Living in the Highlands I always fit winter tyres to my vehicles. Had two Gislaved tyres fitted to front wheels last week ready for the winter :? I just get them fitted on my existing alloys - costs about £30 to have them changed in October and March. They definitely help with grip in slush/snow. When living near Aviemore used to fit studded tyres - great on ice and yes they are legal - I worked for Police at the time :evil:

Just part of standard driving kit up here - like the deer whistle!

Any one any experience with Nokian WR C Van winter tyres? Similar concept as Goodyear Vector but full-on winter tyre.

JIm

I have to say, in the snow over the last couple of years, I have used my kombi with standard tyres and its been excellent. I suppose having the engine over the front wheels helps. However I have sent customers to the Alps with the Goodyear vectors on, and they have reported that they have been excellent in all conditions. :thumb

I think if you were going to live in the alps for the winter season, then you would go full out winter tyres, however the Vectors for our climate, seem a very good happy medium :D

By popular request, here is a photo of the steel wheels fitted to our Cali.

steels.jpg

Simon

Looking good. Its a very 'euro' look with the 17" steels on.

I've eventually made my decision...

Gone for Dunlop SP LT 60's - a winter tyre. Note that this is tyre used in VW Winter Wheel and tyre catalogue for Cali's. Furthermore read some reasurring reviews and a reasonable price from reifen.com

...hopefully arrive before end of month!

Jim

PS do like the look of the steel wheels. Why don't they come as standard - alloys being an option?

deffo a cool euro look shambly ........i was going down the winter wheel/tyre combo ,but i've never done it in all these years and i think i got carried away in all the "we need winter wheels" talk ......my Conti's have very good results for winter conditions better than i thought,so the money will be going elsewhere..if snow the caddy gets used and is very good and top drawer with snow socks on :thumb
i do intend to use the cali in the winter months ,but not as much as some on the forum and i'm not looking at doing any winter euro camping/skiing ...I will be skiing ,but it usually involves a steam room a well stocked bar and a group of mental skiers ... ;) :thumb :smile

Putting Falken Eurowinters on my Cali on Wednesday. They are full winter tyres. I'll let you know what they're like.

Question : all that are changing to winter rubber is this because your way up north or traveling euro zone or scandi in the winter .. :?: :?: :?:

or just because it's winter in the uk ..???
i must admit i never really heard of many people changing to winter rubber in the uk until i joined this forum . :bananadance

For me, I've been prompted as taking van to Austria in March. In addition to others Germany has now brought in a law that winter tyres are compulsory November to April. The following year I'll be driving down in February. I live in the south east so I agree that if I just stayed round here I don't think I would have bothered.

As I live up north - that's my reason and have done it for past 20 years! Also road clearing's not what it was :censor

eanni said:
As I live up north - that's my reason and have done it for past 20 years! Also road clearing's not what it was :censor

I hear you eanni ..!!! .i think you deffo need them

Friday, heading home. Got three quarters of the way up Skye and the torrential rain gave way to blizzard conditions. Stuck behind two cars crawling up a hill at 20mph. Didn't look like they were going to make so bit the bullet and went up the wrong side.

Was totally upset the the warp jump never happened like it does in the movies when all those white dots are flying past.

I had a similar sensation in a tunnel in Italy. I became Buck Rogers for a few moments...