Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

5.0 5.1 facelift

C

camper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
We have a 2009 SE. Is this a 5.0 or 5.1 and what's a facelift please folks? Later model look / lights / grill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a 2009 SE. Is this a 5.0 or 5.1 and what's a facelift please folks? Later model look / lights / grill?

IMG_0259.JPG

Blue - Pre-Facelift. Or T5

Silver - Post Facelift or T5.1

Cheers. Perfect pics. So it's possible to adjust the front end of my 5 so it looks like a 5.1. Anyone done this?

Yes nick at Comfortz has done this

I would be careful doing this, as if I was a potential future buyer of your Cali, I would suspect it had been involved in a heavy frontal collision. If you do it, it may be worth taking photos and videos just before and after, both with proof of the date, so you can prove it was undamaged before the change.

Yeah that is a good idea to take photos. I have extensive photos of my T25 renovation to prove that it was new panels and not filler :) (although you can tell that with a magnet usually).

Is it worth it? Wings/inner wings, headlights, grills, spoilers , bonnet?

Big cost!!

I understood manufacturers always make sure facelifts involve enough cost/work to deter people from easy conversions.

Hmmm. Not just the grill and lights then. Sounds like an extensive parts list. I'll wait til I've front ended it and bought it back off the insurance company!

I've seen recent threads on other VW sites suggesting a cost of £1500 to make the conversion. When I get a chance I will try to add links.

Wonder if the T6 is really just another "facelift", time will tell if anyone tries it.

I think like anything if you intend to keep your van and like the looks then it maybe worth it to some. It is a nicer look I can't deny.

I was looking at an early '5' the other day.
ID forgotten about the "pine coloured" interior. Yuk.
The facelift has a much better colour.

Wonder if the T6 is really just another "facelift", time will tell if anyone tries it.

I think like anything if you intend to keep your van and like the looks then it maybe worth it to some. It is a nicer look I can't deny.
T6 has completely different engine; all the changes were underneath the skin, we were told on our tour of the Stocken plant where they build them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T6 has completely different engine; all the changes were underneath the skin, we were told on our tour of the Stocken plant where they build them.

I like what they did to the front but really wish they had left the tailgate alone.

T4 T5 forum, plenty people have done it, in fact the guy who runs everything California has a very nice black example.

£1500 though, for new lights and a grille, really?

It's a lot more than that in terms of parts needed, see my post and link to Just Kampers above in post #11. And that's a fair few non OEM parts too and unpainted.

I should think a slight update job on the T5 to T6 front valance, say just echoing the extended width lower grille rather than the whole subtle lights/bonnet change would be a much easier job.

And leave the tailgate as it is because the T6 one seems more Transit than Transporter to me...;)

Last edited:
Its a case of what you want weighed up against what's affordable. I swapped my T5 for a T6 not because I like the look of the exterior (in fact a part of me liked the external look of my old van with the ABT bits on it).
The T6 wins hands down on the new interior, so should I face drop a 5.1 on my T6 :Stig

Yeah T6 is now a euro 6 engine, T5 mostly Euro 5 I think. So the chassis is different now?

£1500 though, for new lights and a grille, really?

That's exactly the point, it's NOT just new lights and grille. If you look at the pictures you can see that the bonnet is different, also the whole grille/valance assembly.

Sidepod has already explained why: ie VW probably didn't want to make it cheap/easy to do an aftermarket nose job.

I believe people have now facelifted vans to T6 looks. The parts are available if anyone can be bothered.

I've never understood the whole T5 to T5.1 facelift thing. It reeks of frankenstein botchery to me, I'd certainly never consider buying one as I'd be wondering what was underneath and why it was done

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk