Possible new owner

Brianc26

Brianc26

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi everyone I am possibly buying a 140 bhp facelift California se model
It's got 70k miles on a 2010 plate
Is there anything to watch out for or to check before buying it ?
It seems to have everything with it. It's got a few scratches and scrapes on it. What's the going rate for a se with the units in etc

Welcome , i belive there are already some posts on things to keep an eye on when buying 2nd hand .
There's also a sort of handoverlist with all the bits and things you should get ..
Try To use the search function .
Do think the handoverlist is in the VIP section , only for members....
On prices , can't help as we here are dealing with euro's....:D

Hello Brian, as per above post, there is a document in the VIP section so well worth paying £10 to become a VIP member.

There are some issues with these vans as with all vehicles but don't let that put you off.

Generally they are very well looked after and it is unusual to see them with scrapes and scratches. I would be inclined to look for an unmarked one.

Top of my head I would say £25 - 30k'ish for a 2010 facelift, a bit more from a dealer.

Good luck.

Colin

Thanks for the replies it's a dark blue one so shows the lightest of scratches. It's advertised for £ 28500
There is 4 people trying to buy it so I will need to be quick !

Make sure it's a "real" California, often people call any VW camper a "California". You could post a link for us to check out if it's on the interweb!

I've got enough people trying to buy it lol I'll stick some pics up

If he place the advert on here there's a big chance there will be 10 potential buyers by tomorrow....:)
Collin do got a point , make sure it is not a multivan makeover...

I've got enough people trying to buy it lol I'll stick some pics up
If the sliding door is on the offside good chance it is a genuine Cali ...

Thanks for all the replies. I've have a couple of t5 kombis but never had a California. I am planning on renting it out to help pay for itself then see what happens

By the looks off the pic's , seems ok .
Cabin floormats are nice and clean!
Do see stains on the drivers seat , but could be it are seatcovers....

Edit , no seat covers by the look on the rear seat....

Seems a dealer selling , by the look in the background....big white campers...so a warrenty deal:thumb

It's about the right money. Not many facelifts appeared under £30k, but 70k is highish miles (nothing to worry about...just high for UK Cali's). Should just be young enough to get registered for free roof-rot repairs.

Some scratches etc are to be expected with 70k miles, has it been a rental vehicle already, how many owners etc. Doesn't seem expensive and it will sell so if you want it go for it, get some warranty period if you can.

The roof has a bit of corrosion at the front passenger corner like aluminium against metal type of oxidisation ? Will that get covered by warranty ? It's registered feb 2010. Does the price seem ok ? I also looked at buying a panel van and converting it but thats the same money but not as good as the Cali

At the moment 1 previous owner so if I but it it will be 2.
Full service history
Headlights have a few scratches.
2 keys etc

The roof has a bit of corrosion at the front passenger corner like aluminium against metal type of oxidisation ? Will that get covered by warranty ? It's registered feb 2010. Does the price seem ok ? I also looked at buying a panel van and converting it but thats the same money but not as good as the Cali
Yes, you should get the roof repaired within the 6 year period, i would get it registered for repair with vw straight away. Price seems ok to me, would be another 2-3k with lower miles.

Yes I'd say genuine, looks like it has Climatronic climate control which is a worthwhile option.

There are some threads on here about renting your Cali out.

It's got a control panel in the rear for heating etc ? Is that what you mean

Electric switch panel in the front to raise/lower the roof etc

It's got a control panel in the rear for heating etc ? Is that what you mean
There were two a/c options, Climatic and Climatronic. The former is the more basic but still pipes the a/c to the rear, but is not fully automatic. The latter has separate temperature selections for the rear, passenger and driver. I previously had the Climatic and found I was constantly twiddling the controls, but now have the Climatronic which i never have to touch once set.

All have the camper control unit in the front, which by the way is one of the issues with this model, check that the display is working properly otherwise you could have a repair bill of around £400! If the display is not working it is like trying to use a smartphone with a blank screen:(

Anyone want to buy it for 29k lol