Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Cali height, over 2m

Reading through this thread I still don’t know if my ocean will fit in my garage, has anyone been been able to confirm the height of a new ocean recently?Iv just ordered one for delivery next year, my converted T6 Transporter fitted in,(20 inch wheels lowered)but was tight. I hope at 206cm my ocean will go in, if not I need to book in to have to lowered before collecting it.

9E125538-999A-4E6A-9DBB-FFC8824D6C43.jpeg

EE1EA722-F4A7-4E2E-8D26-E576BF4BF8E0.jpeg

Loads of room, measured my 2019, 4motion, DSG Loaded (possessions), standard height (not lowered), came in at 1940mm. Put a piece of thin material under a 2 meter spirit level (to protect Cali roof paint) which I placed on the middle/centre of Cali roof, side to side. Using step ladders I keep the bubble in the middle of spirit level whilst wife measured from the end of spirit level to the ground. I have an electric, 4 section, up and over garage door which gives more clearance than my previous traditional up and over garage door. I've always been able to keep my Cali in the garage with no issues. Hope this helps

Reading through this thread I still don’t know if my ocean will fit in my garage, has anyone been been able to confirm the height of a new ocean recently?Iv just ordered one for delivery next year, my converted T6 Transporter fitted in,(20 inch wheels lowered)but was tight. I hope at 206cm my ocean will go in, if not I need to book in to have to lowered before collecting it.

View attachment 80006

View attachment 80013
I measured a couple of new vans back in March on the showroom floor. 203cm containing only what they were delivered with, 150 4M as I remember. No idea of the tyre pressures of course.

So if that’s worst case scenario (reportedly they settle on the springs, plus lowering from loading) then you’re fine. It would give me a dry mouth backing into a garage with only an inch to spare though!

Loads of room, measured my 2019, 4motion, DSG Loaded (possessions), standard height (not lowered), came in at 1940mm. Put a piece of thin material under a 2 meter spirit level (to protect Cali roof paint) which I placed on the middle/centre of Cali roof, side to side. Using step ladders I keep the bubble in the middle of spirit level whilst wife measured from the end of spirit level to the ground. I have an electric, 4 section, up and over garage door which gives more clearance than my previous traditional up and over garage door. I've always been able to keep my Cali in the garage with no issues. Hope this helps
Brilliant. Very helpful. I understand there will be some differences between vehicles but if generally most people’s are under 2 meters or very close to it that gives me piece of mind. I’d like to leave the suspension standard ideally so thanks for your help & il keep my fingers crossed.

I measured a couple of new vans back in March on the showroom floor. 203cm containing only what they were delivered with, 150 4M as I remember. No idea of the tyre pressures of course.

So if that’s worst case scenario (reportedly they settle on the springs, plus lowering from loading) then you’re fine. It would give me a dry mouth backing into a garage with only an inch to spare though!
Thank you, 203cm would be very tight indeed. Thanks for the message and information. I guess I will have to hope that once I put my camping gear etc in the vehicle & once the suspension has settled it will go in no problems. It was really tight on my previous T6 Transporter, always made me nervous but having it in the garage is a real plus . Cheers Paul

Brilliant. Very helpful. I understand there will be some differences between vehicles but if generally most people’s are under 2 meters or very close to it that gives me piece of mind. I’d like to leave the suspension standard ideally so thanks for your help & il keep my fingers crossed.
Being under 2m is the whole point of the California. That's the most important single feature that makes this van so attractive. Because of the 2m height many can use it as a car and park it like a car in garages, private and public in addition to fuel economy/speed.
Otherwise a fixed taller roof would have already solved a number of complications and costs that an elevating roof require.

Thank you, 203cm would be very tight indeed. Thanks for the message and information. I guess I will have to hope that once I put my camping gear etc in the vehicle & once the suspension has settled it will go in no problems. It was really tight on my previous T6 Transporter, always made me nervous but having it in the garage is a real plus . Cheers Paul
I am confident it will be below 2m especially an Ocean. It will definitely drop with camping gear. Infact the majority of people complain here of the opposite problem, that the rear end sags!
I would advise, just check it careful the first time you ark it in, being new, unloaded and new springs etc. But with 2,06 you are safe.

Being under 2m is the whole point of the California. That's the most important single feature that makes this van so attractive. Because of the 2m height many can use it as a car and park it like a car in garages, private and public in addition to fuel economy/speed.
Otherwise a fixed taller roof would have already solved a number of complications and costs that an elevating roof require.
Yes, I read some conflicting information in this thread. I also read online on VWs technical information it read 1900mm but I assumed that didn’t include the pop top or awing so started to to worry how high it actually measures. Thanks for the help

I am confident it will be below 2m especially an Ocean. It will definitely drop with camping gear. Infact the majority of people complain here of the opposite problem, that the rear end sags!
I would advise, just check it careful the first time you ark it in, being new, unloaded and new springs etc. But with 2,06 you are safe.
Happy days. Yes, I will have somebody checking behind it etc when I eventually reverse it in. I saw about the sagging when looking at the lowering springs. I think that made me lean towards just leaving the ride height standard & not play about with things. Is the ocean lower than the coast? Iv opted for 18inch wheels but don’t think it’s makes any difference once the tyres a lower profile

Happy days. Yes, I will have somebody checking behind it etc when I eventually reverse it in. I saw about the sagging when looking at the lowering springs. I think that made me lean towards just leaving the ride height standard & not play about with things. Is the ocean lower than the coast? Iv opted for 18inch wheels but don’t think it’s makes any difference once the tyres a lower profile
I think the coast and ocean will be similar. They both are heavier than a Beach because of the furniture and batteries etc. 18" not an issue if ordered with suggested tyres combination (i.e. not higher side wall).

The 18" option with 255/45/18 will give a negligible height drop of 0.1" over the standard 215/60/17

Tyre Brand can also make a difference as the tread depth can vary with design purpose, summer/all season/winter.

The 18" option with 255/45/18 will give a negligible height drop of 0.1" over the standard 215/60/17

Tyre Brand can also make a difference as the tread depth can vary with design purpose, summer/all season/winter.
Thank you. Full of information this forum. Impressed

Our 2016 Beach fits in our garage: entrance 2030mm high. Not lowered, standard tires etc, but was a worry before we got it and definitely squeaky bum time the first time I actually reversed it in there :-|
I just drive in like I don't care know, and let everyone else look worried :)

I asked this exact question when I visited vw Liverpool a couple of weeks ago.
The van itself is under 2meters. However with the awning, the coast/ocean is 203.
This is brand new of the forecourt empty with just the fixed interior.

Brilliant. Thank you very much for passing on the information. Cheers Paul

View attachment 80006

View attachment 80013
Our Coast has been lowered by VW by 30 and was measured this morning (to awning top) at 1970. Hardly anything loaded yet, so are hoping to clear 2m height barriers easily.
If you get it home and it’s a bit close, you could always load it up .

There's a small carpark in the park where my office is located. It used to be fine getting under the 2m barrier but then they resurfaced.......first time I went under i caught it. Appears to slope from one end to the other.

I’m very interested in this having just received my T6.1 Beach Camper and now it’s my only vehicle. I had a 10 year old estate car that I kept for when I needed to go into town (theatre, hospital or bank) as they all needed underground carparks. But as the trips into town dwindled to 1 or 2 per year (even prior to Covid) I could not justify the extra cost of running a second vehicle.
Now I have the dilemma that I have a hospital appointment for mammogram (the only time I visit the hospital)... but cannot work out where I can park. It is quite frustrating not knowing exactly how high the van is and how much allowance there is on the height barriers...
Havent measures my t6.1 coast but I’ve had it under several of those 2.1m yellow height barriers with a fair bit of clearance.

Havent measures my t6.1 coast but I’ve had it under several of those 2.1m yellow height barriers with a fair bit of clearance.
2.1m seems fine. It’s the 2m ones I’m unsure about… but good to know you feel you have a fair bit of clearance at 2.1m, thank you.

There's a small carpark in the park where my office is located. It used to be fine getting under the 2m barrier but then they resurfaced.......first time I went under i caught it. Appears to slope from one end to the other.
At the entrance of the underground carpark where my office is, there is a 2m barrier. I touched it a couple of times as immediately after the barrier it slopes downhill. I retried going very slow in order to minimise damage and didn't touch at all.... Underground there's plenty of pipes and illuminated signs hanging at about 2,0001m. it looked from the driving position extremely low and close, confident that I would knock one off sooner or later but I didn't.

Will be buying 3 off fence posts from Wickes. Cut two at 2030mm and nail the third one across the top. Then two of us can pass this 'profile' along the van front to back. If that clears will cut 30mm off the sides and try again ..

Could even cut the cross one to size to check width profile ..

Last edited:
Will be buying 3 off fence posts from Wickes. Cut two at 2030mm and nail the third one across the top. Then two of us can pass this 'profile' along the van front to back. If that clears will cut 30mm of the sides and try again ..

Have you seen the price of timber lately?

Will be buying 3 off fence posts from Wickes. Cut two at 2030mm and nail the third one across the top. Then two of us can pass this 'profile' along the van front to back. If that clears will cut 30mm off the sides and try again ..

Can I have the off cuts when you’re finished with them…

At the entrance of the underground carpark where my office is, there is a 2m barrier. I touched it a couple of times as immediately after the barrier it slopes downhill. I retried going very slow in order to minimise damage and didn't touch at all.... Underground there's plenty of pipes and illuminated signs hanging at about 2,0001m. it looked from the driving position extremely low and close, confident that I would knock one off sooner or later but I didn't.
Balls of Steel:shocked

Also watching with interest. Was planning to swap the garage door for a roller or similar (that could lose the wooden door frame) Absolute max (If there is a door that could open all the way to the Catnic lintel) would be 2.06. So not a lot of headroom. Will be beyond disappointed if the Coast that is on order is over the advertised 1.99
Cali arrived 31st July and I ordered a new sectional garage door 4 days later, after the estimater convinced me his plan would give me enough headroom. The lead time slipped (just like plenty of others) And it was eventually installed today. So four months after bringing her home, she is at last tucked away tonight. Sectional door fitted inside the brickwork (not between as was previously) with the wooden frame removed has given me the 2.06 mentioned above. The pic below suggests that 2m plus the gap equals my 2.06 headroom. Pleased with the look of the new door and even more pleased that the Cali is locked away safe and sound.

IMG-20211125-WA0003.jpeg