Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Heater Not Working

Re the 'dealer', I called and did not get anyone who 'knew' about it. This seems to be a design problem which can be difficult for manufacturers to own up to! A 6.1 group survey could provide a straw poll to initiate a VW response?
They can’t fix the known problems with led strip light on the T6. I think you need to hope for a software update from the factory.
The B team must be responsible for the habitation electronics design.

They can’t fix the known problems with led strip light on the T6. I think you need to hope for a software update from the factory.
The B team must be responsible for the habitation electronics design.
I’m starting to think later in the alphabet...
Curious if these issues are also on the T6.1 Kombi as have one on order and getting slightly nervous :Nailbiting

The heater on the T6.1 works a lot differently to the T6.

You have two options on the T6.1. Heat Immediately and Heat Continuously. The continuously is much like how the T6 worked but it will now only kick in if the ambient temperature is low enough, ie, if it's already warm in the van and you have it set to 2 it won't come on. Set it to a higher temperature and it'll start.

Heat Immediately is what the key fob activates. This you can set to a separate temperature level but also set a runtime.

To complicate matters further, the operating mode must be set to 'Aux Heater' for any of the above to function.

If all else fails, do a reset on the control panel using the reset icon.

I’m starting to think later in the alphabet...
Curious if these issues are also on the T6.1 Kombi as have one on order and getting slightly nervous :Nailbiting

How dare you people imply that the T6.1 is not reliable. It is premium German engineering. Everything has been tested thoroughly before being released. :headbang

1601278755149.png

Considered and ordered, didn’t actually see one in the flesh :D , it was that or the Grey, Mrs W said blue. What’s it like?
I really like the blue. I went to a local van centre that had a Transporter in the same colour. I also really like the grey but The Boss said blue! However as with any dark colour it needs to be kept clean.

Mine is Starlight Blue and I think it looks brilliant, right royal pain to keep clean though...........

Thanks - another forum I need to join alongside the Eriba ones...

2 week old 6.1 Coast and heater has stopped working with plenty fuel and battery juice. The symptoms are: control panel indicates on but heater fails to start. There is an audible click every few seconds from the passenger footwell, sounds like a relay clicking off and on, this also reboots the control panel which seems to dump heating selections. With engine running, the panel seems to work as normal but still no heating. Remote control light flashes rather than solid green when selected. The panel also warned that 'maximum running time reached' but that has gone now.
If anyone got any experience or clues they are willing to it would be very welcome?
Hi there - did you ever get any definitive answer on this fault? My 6.1 is doing exactly the same - thanks

Hi there - did you ever get any definitive answer on this fault? My 6.1 is doing exactly the same - thanks
check your battery is charged because the fan needs to run when the heater starts

Sounds like you have the heat immediately function on. That only stays on for two hours max and then switches off. Try heat continuously and it should work.

I am waiting for the first service when I hope they apply a software update that allows a reset. However, if you select 'continous heating' rather than using the remote you will not have any problems.

I don't suppose anyone has seen a wiring diagram for the Auxiliary heater?

If the manual is correct, the auxiliary heater in instant heat mode is run off the starter battery & has been programmed to run for no more than 2 hours without the vehicle being started to save the battery being flattened. removing the fuses I guess just resets the timer?

It also says green flashing light on the remote = vehicle starter battery charge level too low.

Continuous heat mode - according to the manual, can only be used if the vehicle is stationary, if the van is moved it is switched off automatically.

Page 123 of the manual under "Switching the auxiliary Heater on and off using the remote control" says "The Auxiliary heater always starts using the last selected mode"

I'm wondering if continuous mode is off the leisure batteries & instant heat is off the starter battery?

It does also seem to suggest in the manual that Instant heat is from the Auxiliary heater & continuous heat is from the Auxiliary Air heater, a subtle difference.

When Ive got some time free I'll do some proper tests.

If the manual is correct, the auxiliary heater in instant heat mode is run off the starter battery & has been programmed to run for no more than 2 hours without the vehicle being started to save the battery being flattened. removing the fuses I guess just resets the timer?

It also says green flashing light on the remote = vehicle starter battery charge level too low.

Continuous heat mode - according to the manual, can only be used if the vehicle is stationary, if the van is moved it is switched off automatically.

Page 123 of the manual under "Switching the auxiliary Heater on and off using the remote control" says "The Auxiliary heater always starts using the last selected mode"

I'm wondering if continuous mode is off the leisure batteries & instant heat is off the starter battery?

It does also seem to suggest in the manual that Instant heat is from the Auxiliary heater & continuous heat is from the Auxiliary Air heater, a subtle difference.

Really interested to know this. It would seem strange if it were to run off of different batteries depending on the mode selected, but maybe?

It wouldn't be the first time that the manual was wrong. Interestingly the remote control doesn't get a mention in california supplement.

When on Instant Heat Mode, where does the warm air come from? The B Pillar vents or the Dashboard Vents?

I presume the T6.1 still has the 2 Diesel Heaters fitted - Webasto Engine Coolant Heater and Eberspacher Parking Heater.

The Webasto, which normally operates below 5c on previous models, can be upgraded to come on remotely AND also use the Climatronic heating system to warm the cab and defrost the windows, for a set time as this heater runs off the Engine Battery.

Yes there are still 2 heaters fitted Webasto Thermo Top Evo and an eberspacher airtronic M2

I will check what comes out where later as I need to go to get fuel.

The 3rd heating mode "ventilation" is another option on the menu & that does use the climatronic fan & outlets.

When on Instant Heat Mode, where does the warm air come from? The B Pillar vents or the Dashboard Vents?

I presume the T6.1 still has the 2 Diesel Heaters fitted - Webasto Engine Coolant Heater and Eberspacher Parking Heater.

The Webasto, which normally operates below 5c on previous models, can be upgraded to come on remotely AND also use the Climatronic heating system to warm the cab and defrost the windows, for a set time as this heater runs off the Engine Battery.
I’ve yet to use Heat Continously but on Heat Instantly the heat comes from the vent at the foot of the drivers side B Pillar.

Thanks all - seems it may have been a charge issue, although display said leisure batteries were over half full and pushing out enough power, the van's been off of the road for a month, but strange error message - been for a drive since which seems to have resolved the problem and will keep on hook up for the next 24 hours. Now have a fault with the drivers side window, which is a carbon copy of this one https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/electric-window-fault.32472/

This website sure is handy, but I've never seen such a temperamental vehicle from new - hope they they get their software sorted, but going back to the dealer anyway now for the bloody window!

Tonights experiments reveal:

All auxiliary heating modes turn off the second the van moves.

Both Instant heat and Continuous heat blow hot air through 2 air grilles on the B pillar (old van only had one) & suck it in from the drivers footwell

According to the overhead display both the above pull about 11 amps from the leisure battery to get going then settle at about 3 amps for continuous running set on level 10 - so conclude both modes run off the leisure battery.

The remote turns on instant heat unless ventilation mode was the last one used, in which case it turns on the ventilation rather than heat.

In both modes the outlet grilles were hot to touch. Not hot enough to burn but you wouldn't want kids touching them if they were any hotter. Gut feel says same temperature as T5.1 van.

I haven't got hours to spare so didn't wait to see if the heater cycles on & off to maintain the set temperature.

Tonights experiments reveal:

All auxiliary heating modes turn off the second the van moves.

Both Instant heat and Continuous heat blow hot air through 2 air grilles on the B pillar (old van only had one) & suck it in from the drivers footwell

According to the overhead display both the above pull about 11 amps from the leisure battery to get going then settle at about 3 amps for continuous running set on level 10 - so conclude both modes run off the leisure battery.

The remote turns on instant heat unless ventilation mode was the last one used, in which case it turns on the ventilation rather than heat.

In both modes the outlet grilles were hot to touch. Not hot enough to burn but you wouldn't want kids touching them if they were any hotter. Gut feel says same temperature as T5.1 van.

I haven't got hours to spare so didn't wait to see if the heater cycles on & off to maintain the set temperature.
Mine doesn't ,if I turn the heater on from the key fob it will stay on for 30 minutes regardless if the van is moving or not.

Mine too, if turned on from the key fob stays on while driving.

Back