Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Operation of engine coolant heater and cabin heater

F

fluff34567

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hi all,

I asked on another forum but here there are more owners with my set up, so......

I have a multivan with the 2 heaters, one for engine and 1 for cabin heating, over here referred to stand heating /parking heating.

I have the small crappy lcd control in the roof by the rear view mirror.

Is the coolant heater Only to help heat the coolant when engine is running or is there some way to also heat the coolant when the van is parked and controlled via the overhead control Panel??

If you have both heaters then the engine heater only comes into action when the engine is started and the temperature is below 5deg.
The cabin heater and control panel are independent and optionally supplied with a remote and is powered by the leisure batteries.

If you had say a Touareg, that only had the engine heater, then this has a different module that also starts up a circulation pump and the blower to heat the interior and has a remote. It runs off the starter battery.

I did see a thread on the T6F that discussed the modification of the engine heater control module plus additional wiring to start the pump and blower, but I think the consensus was that not useful as a cabin heater as it drains the starter battery too quickly.

Cheers Loz, suspected I would see you on here.

Hmm that's a shame as would have liked a bit of engine preheating despite having the cabin heated separately.

Cheers Loz, suspected I would see you on here.

Hmm that's a shame as would have liked a bit of engine preheating despite having the cabin heated separately.
That can be done using a Timer or Remote but should be limited to 30mins BUT it involves flashing the Webasto Engine Coolant software so that it will no longer work automatically.

Can you explain a bit more the "not automatically" please?

Can you explain a bit more the "not automatically" please?
If the outside temperature drops to 5c or colder then the Webasto Coolant Heater starts up automatically as the engine starts and helps the engine coolant warm up quicker. It cuts off when the coolant gets to 80c or so. Thus the cab heating will warm the cab up quicker also has an effect on fuel consumption - better, and engine emissions - better.
The Webasto has a heater and electric pump to circulate the coolant to achieve a faster warm-up but is electrically power hungry. Not a problem with the engine and hence alternator working.

OK. Thanks, is it a simple vcds change or a complete reflash of software?

Do you have a link, I couldn't find it

Roof mounted antenna will take you over 2m, if that matters to you. VW does this as an OEM option on the continent without the roof antlers, too bad it's not available in UK (used to be available on the Beach in the UK but not the Ocean, go figure). It might be worth it to see if you can retrofit the OEM VW version.

Thanks for all the replies, I should have said I have a T6, seems all. The mods are for a T5.

Know of anyone on the forum that's done the modification and has the 2 seperate heaters from factory?

Thanks for all the replies, I should have said I have a T6, seems all. The mods are for a T5.

Know of anyone on the forum that's done the modification and has the 2 seperate heaters from factory?
Wouldn't have thought that there was any significant difference to heater system between T5 & T6

Maybe different plugs, will send them a message anyway.

Maybe different plugs, will send them a message anyway.
Have a read here. I think it does work on the T6.

Thank you, especially for this link, which was part of the above thread:

This will also clear up some confusion, from the same thread:
mmi said:
PS. In late MY18 (recently delivered) vans the low voltage cut-out configuration has been changed, see picture below. The both vans from where the codings (above and below) were grabbed have second battery from factory under left seat.
The reason probably is that in MY18 onwards the Webasto coolant heater is powered from starter battery (even with factory installed aux battery). In MY17 and before the power feed was from the aux battery (when factory installed). However there are some indications that the transition is not exactly at MY18/17 transition but within early MY18... EDIT: Wiring diagrams states that change is effective NOV-2017 onwards

Coming back to this, as I have a 2nd factory battery 2016 version so its used for the heater.

The kit shown in the link above, is it just plug and play?

The link gives me the impression its the telestart radio unit just to add the remote and not the reflash as mentioned earlier?

I contacted the company but didn't get a reply yet.

Can't edit the above post.. Just realised the link above might not be correct. There is a seperate T6 section on that site with totally different modules.

Back