Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

6.1 Heater Not Working

Mine doesn't ,if I turn the heater on from the key fob it will stay on for 30 minutes regardless if the van is moving or not.

Can you tell which mode the heater is in if started from the fob? have you set it to 30mins?

Its a shame, always used to leave that heater on until the engine had warmed up.

Mine doesn't ,if I turn the heater on from the key fob it will stay on for 30 minutes regardless if the van is moving or not.
Same here.

Can you tell which mode the heater is in if started from the fob? have you set it to 30mins?

Its a shame, always used to leave that heater on until the engine had warmed up.
Set to heat immediately and 30 mins. Lovely and toasty when I get in the morning and then leaving work. Leisure battery completely topped up after a 10 mile dual carriage way trip either way. Perfect set up for me.

Early or newer 6.1s ?
sports mode on DSG = early, no sports = later. Mine is an early one.

Im going to test again tomorrow when I go to work, wonder if I set off too soon after the heater had started - would only have been a few minutes.

Early or newer 6.1s ?

Im going to test again tomorrow when I go to work, wonder if I set off too soon after the heater had started - would only have been a few minutes.
MY21, Built November 20 delivered January 21. Don't think there is a sport mode, would need to double check.

How long does your heater stay on if you just turn it on from the fob and leave it stationery?

MY21, Built November 20 delivered January 21. Don't think there is a sport mode, would need to double check.

How long does your heater stay on if you just turn it on from the fob and leave it stationery?

Stays on however long I've set it for up to 2 hours.

Sport shows as D/S to the left of the gear lever, after putting it into drive, a further pull back changes the display in the rev counter to S rather than D

Stays on however long I've set it for up to 2 hours.

Sport shows as D/S to the left of the gear lever, after putting it into drive, a further pull back changes the display in the rev counter to S rather than D
No sport mode on mine then. It would be odd if the Heater modes were effected by the DSG box , still it is VW so who knows.

No sport mode on mine then. It would be odd if the Heater modes were effected by the DSG box , still it is VW so who knows.

It's not affected by the box, more thats the easiest way to tell if its a 2021 model year or the 2020 one.
Other differences are the way the map displays show on the dashboard a safe lock button on the B pillar & differences in the we connect app - one of which is whether or not you can start the heater remotely

Early or newer 6.1s ?

I've got both, MY 2020 & MY2021. Both of their heaters stay on whilst driving if Heat Immediately is used.

So, I've also had the problem with the heater failing after having used heat immediately. I have previously used this with no problem, using the default time setting of 30 mins. Ran for 30 mins, shut off. Heater still worked. Then on Monday, it was -9C. Van was covered in snow, so I thought it would take a bit longer to warm up! So I set the time to 120mins, ran on heat immediately, and sure enough after 2 hrs it shut off. Van was lovely and warm, but in the end I did not take the van out. On Tuesday, I tried heat immediately from the remote, and it would not start heating. Would also not work on heat continously mode. I got the 'please wait' message repeatedly, but it was intermittent, so when it briefly went away I tried hitting the 'settings' button (with ignition on). I got this message:

heater.jpg
Battery was good, fuel 50%, but just to check I put the fridge on - it started no problem.

So then I took it for a drive. On return everything was back to normal - heater started no problem.

This is clearly a software fault. I wonder if it is somehow related to using heat immediately at max runtime - i.e. 120mins. There was no problem using 30 mins. I have never used anything in between 30 and 120 mins - I will try a test running for 90mins to see if either a) there is no problem or b) it fails again. At least I know the fix now.

So, I've also had the problem with the heater failing after having used heat immediately. I have previously used this with no problem, using the default time setting of 30 mins. Ran for 30 mins, shut off. Heater still worked. Then on Monday, it was -9C. Van was covered in snow, so I thought it would take a bit longer to warm up! So I set the time to 120mins, ran on heat immediately, and sure enough after 2 hrs it shut off. Van was lovely and warm, but in the end I did not take the van out. On Tuesday, I tried heat immediately from the remote, and it would not start heating. Would also not work on heat continously mode. I got the 'please wait' message repeatedly, but it was intermittent, so when it briefly went away I tried hitting the 'settings' button (with ignition on). I got this message:

View attachment 73425
Battery was good, fuel 50%, but just to check I put the fridge on - it started no problem.

So then I took it for a drive. On return everything was back to normal - heater started no problem.

This is clearly a software fault. I wonder if it is somehow related to using heat immediately at max runtime - i.e. 120mins. There was no problem using 30 mins. I have never used anything in between 30 and 120 mins - I will try a test running for 90mins to see if either a) there is no problem or b) it fails again. At least I know the fix now.
Just for info’, I’ve got mine set at 60 minutes and all has been fine. Used it 3 times in 3 days with no problems.

Just for info’, I’ve got mine set at 60 minutes and all has been fine. Used it 3 times in 3 days with no problems.
Your van is a very similar vintage to mine - at the risk of tempting fate, could you consider running it for 120mins to see if it kills it?

Is that 3 days though without driving?
To me it sounds like a max of 120 mins without going for a drive.

Your van is a very similar vintage to mine - at the risk of tempting fate, could you consider running it for 120mins to see if it kills it?
Will give it a go and advise.

Is that 3 days though without driving?
To me it sounds like a max of 120 mins without going for a drive.
No I’ve driven it every day. Not long journeys, typically 15 - 20 miles. I’ve also had the van on EHU for about 12 hours (and have solar) so i think all batteries are well charged.

Interesting...I had an issue with somebody running it for 120 mins repeatedly with the roof up. Then they couldn't get the roof down as the screen was completely unresponsive. Having the roof up ruled out driving it!

Interesting...I had an issue with somebody running it for 120 mins repeatedly with the roof up. Then they couldn't get the roof down as the screen was completely unresponsive. Having the roof up ruled out driving it!
The Ocean is a Wonderfull vehicle but would the Coast be a better vehicle for hire companies? The roof closure problem in all sorts guises keeps coming up on here and must be a nightmare for both the hire company and the punter. An easy push up, pull down roof would surely be the best solution for the weekend novice. The habitat is exactly the same so there would be no reduction to the camping experience. I am of course biased.

The Ocean is a Wonderfull vehicle but would the Coast be a better vehicle for hire companies? The roof closure problem in all sorts guises keeps coming up on here and must be a nightmare for both the hire company and the punter. An easy push up, pull down roof would surely be the best solution for the weekend novice. The habitat is exactly the same so there would be no reduction to the camping experience. I am of course biased.
:Iamsorry There are very few actual vehicles that have had roof problems outside of Warranty, so I have to Disagree with your biased opinion.
Of course if you have evidence to the contrary?

:Iamsorry There are very few actual vehicles that have had roof problems outside of Warranty, so I have to Disagree with your biased opinion.
Of course if you have evidence to the contrary?
No need to be sorry WG, different opinions are to be welcomed.

I just think for rental purposes and for weekend novices then simpler may be better, There have been several posts on here about electric roofs not closing when on site, there is even a detailed photographic tutorial on how to dismantle the trim in order to lower it. It isn't a slight on the Ocean, it truly is an aspirational vehicle and I completely understand why people may want to hire one.

So far it's a one off and only happened on a T6.1. We get more problems with people wrecking awnings than the roof!

The roof closure problem in all sorts guises keeps coming up on here

There have been a handful, if that of people with the T5 &T6 having actual mechanical problems with the roof - ie pump failures or sensors saying roof not closed.
The usual problem on those vans was the button on the control panel failing.
The T6.1 has a different button which is used as a push on/off switch, on the earlier vans it was also used to scroll which is the bit that failed.

There have been a couple of electrical problems documented on here with the T6.1 but just the one complete disaster I think, as his roof lights also failed, that sounds more like a trapped wire somewhere.

Ive been on this forum for many years & I would have thought that virtually all Uk failures have been documented on here. There is nothing that I've read that even made me hesitate going for an electric roof for the new van.

Set it to run for 120 minutes at Level 4 on Heat Immediately and all good.
OK, that's good news. Can you start the heater again?

I'm in the middle of an experiment. Ran for 90mins this morning. AOK. Then started heater again - seems to be fine for now. Will check again when it finishes.

OK, that's good news. Can you start the heater again?

I'm in the middle of an experiment. Ran for 90mins this morning. AOK. Then started heater again - seems to be fine for now. Will check again when it finishes.
So the result of my experiment. Ran on heat immediately for 90mins. Fine. Ran again on heat immediately for 90mins. Again fine. Tried to start heater again - I've broken it again - get the please wait message, and heater does not start.

So my conclusion is that it is not wise to run on heat immediately twice, or perhaps for more than 120mins without driving the van.

Could you please advise what the current battery display is? mine took a lot more than expected out of the leisure battery when running for 2 hours.

Back