Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A bientôt EU

Day 11 - Copenhagen
Day 12 - Stromstad

We needed a doctor as Clare's eczema on her hands has flared up, and we got a walk in appointment at 2pm. After an afternoon in Copenhagen we packed the van ready for an early start, so much easier when staying in a cabin. First thing we drove up the east coat of Zealand on the coast road and then took the ferry to Sweden. We came off through the "goods to declare" channel because we had dogs, but there was no one there to declare our dogs to, so we just drove on.

Pitching and striking camp is such a faff that we have decided to drive further each time and stay for longer at the places we stop. The difficulty is that the boys get bored after about an hour and a half so we need regular long stops. The dogs are near perfect - except Jess chewed through on of her leads - she's one year old next week.

The weather should be fine for the next few days in Stromstad with a pleasant 18 degrees.

Last edited:
We missed you for a few days ;)
As you already have experienced a road trip is not always relaxing , and for you putting up a tent each night to take down the next morning , unloading all that stuff.

Thats where the SE / Coast /Ocean has his advantage pull up a spot and put the kettle on , or prepere a meal in the evening .
In the early moring we are ready to leave within' 15 minutes then drive a few hours while picking up bread on the way stopping at nice spot to combine breakfast and a first stop at a nice place . A thing you should concider once in the south part of Europe in the summer so you can drive in the morning when it is not to hot in the car and stop on a nice place to have a early siesta at lunchtime .

My advise:
In your case you defenatly need a few days at one site every week or you will end up driving straight home halfway thru your trip .
Also think you need to get rid of your plan to make it there at that day at that point as it probally is not gonna work all the time to stick to your sheduale.

Anyway you are going to the most beautifull part of Europe now , up North , the scenery you will get the next days this will give a boost like drinking ten red-bulls....:Nailbiting
Enjoy!

Last edited:
As you already have experienced a road trip is not always relaxing , and for you putting up a tent each night to take down the next morning , unloading all that stuff.

Thats where the SE / Coast /Ocean has his advantage pull up a spot and put the kettle on , or prepere a meal in the evening .
In the early moring we are ready to leave within' 15 minutes then drive a few hours while picking up bread on the way stopping at nice spot to combine breakfast and a first stop at a nice place . A thing you should concider once in the south part of Europe in the summer so you can drive in the morning when it is not to hot in the car and stop on a nice place to have a early siesta at lunchtime .

My advise:
In your case you defenatly need a few days at one site every week or you will end up driving straight home halfway thru your trip .
Also think you need to get rid of your plan to make it there at that day at that point as it probally is not gonna work all the time to stick to your sheduale.

Anyway you are going to the most beautifull part of Europe now , up North , the scenery you will get the next days this will give a boost like drinking ten red-bulls....:Nailbiting
Enjoy!
I can't see an Ocean working in our case: 2 adults, 2 children and 2 active dogs. We need the additional space of a tent, and the under bed storage for child seats.

Our plans are sufficiently flexible for us to adapt our travelling style. Key points over our 33 days in Norway are Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, A and Nordkapp, with about a week between each point.

We will get better at things as time goes on. One thing we plan to do before the next move is pack up the tent the evening before.

Lovely weather this morning.
92dc3e3b96f1aed981e0138b40818c54.jpg

Have a great trip, on my bucket list. I look forward to your updates.

I think what you are doing is fantastic and a great experience for your family.

However, its very early days and you seem fed up with all the packing understandably. Just wondered why you are moving on so quickly, if you have an entire year would it not be more relaxing to stay for at least a week or two at a chosen location and perhaps use your bikes, van or local transport for day trips out? Also, how about using a Quecha base for quick one night stays to use as a shelter for belongings.

Enjoying reading about your about your travels especially as we are heading over that way for a 15 day holiday taking in Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden and we have two boys to entertain too. When we do longer journeys we encourage them to look out at the surroundings but when it all gets too much we let them play a movie on the iPad.

I think what you are doing is fantastic and a great experience for your family.

However, its very early days and you seem fed up with all the packing understandably. Just wondered why you are moving on so quickly, if you have an entire year would it not be more relaxing to stay for at least a week or two at a chosen location and perhaps use your bikes, van or local transport for day trips out? Also, how about using a Quecha base for quick one night stays to use as a shelter for belongings.

Enjoying reading about your about your travels especially as we are heading over that way for a 15 day holiday taking in Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden and we have two boys to entertain too. When we do longer journeys we encourage them to look out at the surroundings but when it all gets too much we let them play a movie on the iPad.
Initially we had some deadlines to meet - pre-planned stops to meet with friends. Now we are well into Scandinavia the pace can slow.

My advise:

Enjoy!
We have a beach and we mostly camp outside of campings and we don’t use awnings and tents etc. We are usually ready In the same 15 minutes, lowering roof and moving around stuff and removing windows vents takes most of this time.
Even though we will probably get an Ocean when it is just the two of us I don’t see it being the case Beach vs Ocean here, rather it is all that he other stuff (that would probably never fit in an Ocean).
But being away for a year is really far away from my experience this far so I have no idea how to do it better in that regard.

I am not trying to to aim Beach vs. SE/Ocean and the Beach not beeing good enough , just the fact he in this case needs to unload a lot of stuff before he is settled and the next morning the other way arround. When even in a SE fully packed you still can cook inside when needed (bad wheather , arriving at site when dark ... .all things he has to count in . Now it is summer but seasons change and from oktober on it's dark at 17h pm , my guess is he will be spending quite a few nights in hotel , gites , bungalow,...

Packing up all your stuff when you have two kids can't be done in 15 mins. The kids don't help out and can't be left totally to their own devices add in the bikes and an awning and I can see how it is taking up so much time. I would say don't use the awning for single night stops unless you really have too and don't remove the bikes unless you need to also don't use the topper unless the weather is bad. We also use a two man Quechua pop up tent to chuck stuff in that we don't want in the van don't bother to peg it down the contents hold it in place and it is put away in a minute. After two weeks away you are probably already employing these ideas so apologies if I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs.

One final thing maybe you could rent some storage and ditch stuff you don't require. Pick it up on the way back.

Getting rid of the stuff you took and are overkill does make sense.
Clever stuff from @bigmac77
Send it back to the UK by DHL ?

Getting rid of the stuff you took and are overkill does make sense.
Clever stuff from @bigmac77
Send it back to the UK by DHL ?
We are back in the UK at the end of August and will ditch some stuff then: Clare's flute, my SLR Nikon digital camera and zoom lens, the dogs' pen, the sleeping bags (we also have two double duvets). But the awning stays, I can't imagine life without it.

We each have 4 pairs of shoes: crocs, trainers, boots and swimming socks, they take up a lot of space, but I don't know how to trim down to three or two, perhaps losing the swimming socks, but if they prevent just one cut foot....

We also have a double burner stove with grill and Cadac BBQ. We could ditch the Cadac and one 907 gas bottle, but I'd like to keep both - we had a lovely BBQ tonight.

We have bike capacity for six: two adult bikes, a double kiddy trailer which can also be used as a double buggy and two child bikes. They are all well used, and all fit on the bike rack, so we will be keeping them.

In August Jack might be ready for a Group 2 child seat, and if so, that will be a great help.

Tom , when are you heading back in Europe afther your return to the UK in august.
You might come to the champagne meet(banner on top of the page) if you'r back in France by the 15th september....?

Tom , when are you heading back in Europe afther your return to the UK in august.
You might come to the champagne meet(banner on top of the page) if you'r back in France by the 15th september....?
Planning to be in the U.K. 24 August to 10 September. Then ferry Portsmouth to Cherbourg. We were not planning on visiting that part of France, but I know Clare would be persuaded.

Day 13 - Stromstad

Perfect weather and the perfect day.

After a day in the car we really felt that we all needed some exercise, especially Meg and Jess who are really very well behaved. The trouble is that Sweden frowns on dogs off the lead at this time of year because of young deer. Staff at the campsite told us of a field used for dog agility that we might be able to use, so we went there. Gate locked. There was a notice on the gate that I couldn't read with some phone numbers - I sent a text "Hello - I am staying in Stromstad with my two border collies, and I am seeking your permission to exercise them in your field on Prästängsvägen." Reply "Hello :) [XXX]! Have fun", XXX being the combination for the gate. How kind was that!?

After exercising the dogs we went shopping and managed to spend 707 sek (£65) on not very much, including 200 sek on dog food and treats. Then to Capri beach. Wonderful. We all had a walk on a very small part of a long distance trail on the way back and rounded the day off with a Cadac BBQ.

We have another two full days here before moving on.

Packing up all your stuff when you have two kids can't be done in 15 mins. The kids don't help out and can't be left totally to their own devices add in the bikes and an awning and I can see how it is taking up so much time. I would say don't use the awning for single night stops unless you really have too and don't remove the bikes unless you need to also don't use the topper unless the weather is bad. We also use a two man Quechua pop up tent to chuck stuff in that we don't want in the van don't bother to peg it down the contents hold it in place and it is put away in a minute. After two weeks away you are probably already employing these ideas so apologies if I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs.

One final thing maybe you could rent some storage and ditch stuff you don't require. Pick it up on the way back.

With two kids and usually too much stuff (shoes, bikes, child seats, coats for every eventuality etc.) I know the feeling. Especially the awning as well. (One night stops we tend not to use it...). However our last long trip (8 nights) we used a top box for the first time to keep the sleeping gear in. This enabled us to leave the main boot packed and the upper for clothes. We also used one of those pop up tents for things like child seat and bikes which is instantaneous to erect and quick to fill. Also we have put the kids seats in passenger and drivers foot wells when the seats are rotated. They will fit if the seats are slid slightly towards the cabin so to give a little more room between the foot wells. Handy space for them if we don't use the pop up tent. Hope that's of help. Good luck.

Cycling

This morning Ben asked for his pedals to be put on his bicycle - before today he had been using his bike as a balance bike, pedal less. Within 10 minutes he was cycling unaided, just a few days before he turns three and a half.

I'm a proud dad.

63b0d81a22d712f3493f84f4fbd2218b.jpg

Sounds like your having an amazing adventure, you have to have the rubbish bits (loading van unloading) to make the good stuff amazing (if that makes sense!?)
Set up and departure would be 5mins quick/easier with isotop, and more space plus then you can have roof box to chuck awning in.

Your have the weather on your side now so life will be easier, well as easy as it can get with that size clan.

Def don't lose the BBQ or camera as those moments def want to be captured!

Ps add some more pics especially of the crazy collies!

Cycling

This morning Ben asked for his pedals to be put on his bicycle - before today he had been using his bike as a balance bike, pedal less. Within 10 minutes he was cycling unaided, just a few days before he turns three and a half.

I'm a proud dad.

63b0d81a22d712f3493f84f4fbd2218b.jpg

Yep Great moment!!! Balance bikes are great. My son was the same. Balance bike for 9 months. On his 4th birthday we got him an isla bike with gears. Literally 5 mins and he was riding. Can't speak high enough of balance bikes. He will be away now with you peddling away. Good news!

Sounds like your having an amazing adventure, you have to have the rubbish bits (loading van unloading) to make the good stuff amazing (if that makes sense!?)
Set up and departure would be 5mins quick/easier with isotop, and more space plus then you can have roof box to chuck awning in.

Your have the weather on your side now so life will be easier, well as easy as it can get with that size clan.

Def don't lose the BBQ or camera as those moments def want to be captured!

Ps add some more pics especially of the crazy collies!
I don't know how easy the isotop is to remove, but in this fine weather we are not using the topper. We stow a duvet in the roof, and I don't know if that would be possible with an isotop as well.

We'd need to reconfigure the solar panels if we had a roof box, plus we wouldn't fit in some car parks, and we might have problems with the roof staying up. If we needed more capacity, a tow bar carrier is what we'd use, but that too has downsides.

I have a plan for the next move - to take down the driveaway the night before and throw a tarpaulin over all our gear. I'll see how that works to make for a better strike of camp.

Can you spot the Collie?

a618a4291d9003fe5349a3237f2396dd.jpg

Day 14 - Stromstad

End of 2nd week and we have survived so far, six in a 5x2m VW California Beach.

After about 21 months of riding a balance bike, Ben learnt to ride a bike properly today within 10 minutes of him asking for his pedals to be put on.

And I took slightly longer to learn how to refuel the van at an automatic unmanned fuel station. And still made a hash of it by only refuelling to 80%.

Great day on the beach with the Beach. Green Thai curry for dinner washed down with House of Commons lager.

I don't know how easy the isotop is to remove, but in this fine weather we are not using the topper. We stow a duvet in the roof, and I don't know if that would be possible with an isotop as well.
I dont think the IsoTop is suposed to be removed, that is the idea behind it, if you need ventilation you can open the sides which matches the canvas side openings.
Are you saying you never refuled at a unmammed gas station before?
Fuel is cheaper in Norway than in Sweden at the moment btw.

Our kids learned to ride their islabike at arround 3yers old as well, fantastic product.
Now my oldest son is 9 years old and he has a Islabike with 26" wheels, totally flying through in the terrain.

why oh why with all the stuff you are carrying, you take wine from sainsburys and beer from house of commons???
It was either pack it, store it for a year or give it away. As it was all a gift at a BBQ to celebrate Clare's 50th birthday shortly before we left we felt the thing to do was pack it and send a photo to the gift giver of us drinking it. Had it been entirely my choice, I may have come to a different decision.

The House of Commons lager was surprisingly good.

Last edited:
I dont think the IsoTop is suposed to be removed, that is the idea behind it, if you need ventilation you can open the sides which matches the canvas side openings.
Are you saying you never refuled at a unmammed gas station before?
Fuel is cheaper in Norway than in Sweden at the moment btw.

Our kids learned to ride their islabike at arround 3yers old as well, fantastic product.
Now my oldest son is 9 years old and he has a Islabike with 26" wheels, totally flying through in the terrain.

I'm not disappointed with our choice of an external topper. If it's wet or cold it goes on otherwise it stays in the chair cavity.

I've never before refuelled at a completely unmanned filling station. There has always been a choice to pay someone. I have refuelled at a "pay at pump" a few times, only two or three times, but then the instructions have been in English.

I set up a Bikeability cycling scheme at a local school about 10 years ago. Transport for London paid for a fleet of 18 Islabikes. I was very impressed with their design.

Keep on truckin' Tom - sounds great so far, though we don't have a popcorn emoji sadly ...

@kave unmanned fuel pumps are still pretty rare in UK compared to continental Europe.

There's one just installed near us to run 24/7 when the attached store is closed, but before that the only one I'd seen in 30-years UK driving was a community run fuel station in Applecross, which is about as remote as it gets in the Scottish Highlands.