Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying Beach 6.1 a mistake...

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Yep. What is the view on the LED versus H7. Two considerations here again. Long term, the h7 will be cheap to maintain and run. The LED could be costly I assume LED are not replacable and the whole headlight will not changing? Second, is the H7 good enough?
We have the H4 (!) which are fine on full beam, on low beam seems to aim too low, so will tend to use the fogs to compensate as most of night driving around us unlit country roads; Personally I wouldn't pay extra for LED as think there are better things to spend money on but would upgrade to H7 if not already fitted as standard.

willwander

willwander

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have the H4 (!) which are fine on full beam, on low beam seems to aim too low, so will tend to use the fogs to compensate as most of night driving around us unlit country roads; Personally I wouldn't pay extra for LED as think there are better things to spend money on but would upgrade to H7 if not already fitted as standard.
I found my low beam also aimed too low...but you can adjust them.
When I did, it made a huge improvement.
Obviously you have to be careful.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Agree with a lot of above .
The H7s are adequate, the LEDs are far better. £2.5k better...?
Well, I wouldn’t pay it personally. But each to their own.

Reactions: Sad
R

reggie59

Vehicle
Just browsing
Agree with a lot of above .
The H7s are adequate, the LEDs are far better. £2.5k better...?
Well, I wouldn’t pay it personally. But each to their own.
But the real question is "is it 1.2k better?" ;-)

Any idea on long term reliability? Planning to own this in 15 years time and do not want to have to fork out 1500 pounds if one led fails.

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
Looking to buy

Any idea on long term reliability? Planning to own this in 15 years time and do not want to have to fork out 1500 pounds if one led fails.
I'm sure the LED lights are modular just like regular lights. Replace the non functioning part, not the entire headlight unit.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204

Still sounds like a lot of money for fairy lights:D
Anyway, it’s more fun driving in the dark...

The only reason I would spec them, is if they made a dramatic difference to the way the van looks.
Poser points ;)

T

Tomato

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Thats very similar to the LHD Cali Coast I plan to order. Can I ask where you are getting your's? One dealer I contacted in Europe is telling me a 10-12 month lead time.
Great minds!

autounger.com speak to Uli

Will upgrade all bulbs if needed, I’m tempted by fitting driving lights (ie ones that dip and undip) plus maybe a “throw” long distance centre spot, popular in Sweden

Definitely buying the £2.99 fairy lights off Amazon in lieu of the £726 vw camping “concept” interior LED option...

no LED QED

B85EBCF2-ECF0-4839-8A0F-8DAE76F1718D.jpeg

T

Tomato

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
A Rally Cali :)

Where are you registering your LHD Cali? If not Germany will they assist with documentation? What lead time were you given?
Delivery March April, will look at maybe French or Monaco registration. My Beach had German three month export plates on - thus the limping snail of the DVLA and ££££ UK road tax avoided

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I found the German dealers a total waste of time. Even after calling two in person from the USA several times I could never get a response or a quote. In the end went with Campers.eu

VW California Club