Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying Beach 6.1 a mistake...

S

Steeble

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Other than the lack of hook up it looks ideal for me. Would love twin sliders although perfect for me would be a single.sliding door on the left

R

reggie59

Vehicle
Just browsing
It annoys me how long it takes to rise and fall. Having owned the manual version on the Beach, I prefer the simplicity of that roof.
The electric roof is like a ticking timebomb, once the warranty expires.
It will be problematic getting it repaired, as few people know the California roof system.

If Volkswagen don’t realise an Ocean with manual roof, I will possibly convert mine at some point or move onto a conversion van.
I can’t believe I’m saying that, A Conversion Van...!!!
Thanks. Like you, I would like to keep my still to be purchased california for ever. My current car bought new is 18 years old...

Another reasons to go coast is the digital display. When this will pack up, vw will want 5000 quid for it.

The only stuff I want from the ocean is the auto clim and chassis / wheels for 5 seater.

Is there a window missing on the coast you cannot specify as extra? Cali Chris says so in one of his video.

As a bonus, I find the wood finish nicer in the coast

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I did some research on conversions before settling on an Ocean. I thought I might as well have a long wheelbase. I got very good feelings about 8ball, Freedom Conversions and Autohaus (in that order cheaper to expensive). Amazing how many don’t call you back or take the time when they do. Many of the companies tried to talk me out of LWB (there’s 3 of us - inc 1 eleven year old) and when I was convinced they were right and started thinking about the double headache of sourcing a new transporter (kombi? Some said yes some no) and spec’ing it and keeping fingers crossed about quality, then realising the price was going to be close to a Drive the Deal Cali....I couldn’t do it. I am going to have the DSG remapped (TVS drivability) which I heard helps massively with (funnily enough) drivability...
Sounds as though the only thing you can’t get from VW is an ocean without the power roof ... if it does fail out of warranty, presumably you could choose to replace with a manual mechanism?
I think I’m going to try the TVS remap too.
I’ve never had any issue like this before and actually wonder if it’s the DSG gearbox that just dumps to much torque down leaving your wheels spinning.
It’s either, not moving or spinning.

Ive gone my entire life without needing 4 wheel drive, had a couple of occasions where it would of helped, however I’ve not been stuck. Managed to get myself out with the standard 2wd.
There’s tricks, like using carpet in snow or getting some wood down.

The truth is, I have no desire to change my current van unless it’s goi g to offering me a lot more. Unfortunately the 6.1 on a 6 or even T5.1 isn’t all that different when it comes to sleeping in the van at night...

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Thanks. Like you, I would like to keep my still to be purchased california for ever. My current car bought new is 18 years old...

Another reasons to go coast is the digital display. When this will pack up, vw will want 5000 quid for it.

The only stuff I want from the ocean is the auto clim and chassis / wheels for 5 seater.

Is there a window missing on the coast you cannot specify as extra? Cali Chris says so in one of his video.

Yes unfortunately like all modern stuff, the California has become far to complicated.
I wish they built it modular, without the overhead control unit and using stand alone controls,
Eberspacher diesel heater controller
Fridge simple button controls on the fridge
Manual roof
Remove the water gauges, no need. It’s empty, no water comes out?

T

Tomato

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
So, 4motion is available on the Coast over the channel then I guess; is that 150 or 199? How do you find the LHD when using in the UK? And how do you find the dealer and prices compare? Sorry, lots of questions but I like the concept. Enjoyed reading your post too btw.
lhd no issue as you can see over traffic often, the adaptive cruise control is a nightmare, it’s set up for driving on the wrong side so is unusuable in multilane traffic in UK. 17% off EU list. It is 150HP but will remap to 199 safely (many ecu mappers offer a warranty). I prefer lhd abroad where the driving can be a bit madder. Thank you for your kind words

T

Tomato

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Never got a decent hand over and struggled to get an English manual but luckily the vwcalifirniaclub.com is a thing of beauty and a mine of information

T

Tomato

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Good advice
An honest review that raises an important question:

Just how certain are you that a Coast will be any more right for you?

You say that "We don't like camping for long periods". Is it just the Beach that doesn't suit or could it be the whole Cali experience itself? If you are certain that the Coast will be right for you then fine. However, van life isn't for everyone. I'm sure that you wouldn't be the first owner to discover that the expectations of living the dream don't quite match up with the day to day practicalities of living in a small space.

Before you hand over your hard earned why not hire one (when it's possible) for a short trip away in order to confirm your thoughts?
Good advice but new job and new house will need a Cali for the next couple of years so we’re sure we need one. Works for us, comfortable van that gives us more options and more freedom

Good advice

Good advice but new job and new house will need a Cali for the next couple of years so we’re sure we need one. Works for us, comfortable van that gives us more options and more freedom
Until they make the Grenadier and I can sleep in that

T

Tomato

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A

MUCH prefer the Coast wood, especially with a matching wood floor. Virtual dash rubbish too. I use Waze on my phone. Ocean grey units reminded me of the 1980’s Magnet budget kitchen in my first flat

Sad

Sad

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Is there a window missing on the coast you cannot specify as extra? Cali Chris says so in one of his videos
As I said above, you can spec this window now:

R

reggie59

Vehicle
Just browsing
MUCH prefer the Coast wood, especially with a matching wood floor. Virtual dash rubbish too. I use Waze on my phone. Ocean grey units reminded me of the 1980’s Magnet budget kitchen in my first flat
As anyone tried to spec all the extra needed to bring a coast to ocean level? I do not understand where the 8,500 pounds are... I can see about 5,000: led lights, interior light, 17 inch wheels, auto clim

Sad

Sad

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
There's the fog lights, radio, fancy dashboard, window in sliding door, front opening bellows, interior light package, heated seats, climate control, chrome, double glazed rear window (not an option on the coast), side assist, parking assist...

That's off the top if my head anyway...

2haw

2haw

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
There's the fog lights, radio, fancy dashboard, window in sliding door, front opening bellows, interior light package, heated seats, climate control, chrome, double glazed rear window (not an option on the coast), side assist, parking assist...

That's off the top if my head anyway...
Thats a good start..
And as above..
+ 17” Alloys
Electric Roof
LED headlights

I’m looking at a few options on a Beach and without adding anything really fancy, the options come to around 10k! That's without 2 tone paint, Electric Roof, Side Assist, Digital Dash, Sat Nav, Lights and Vision, Interior LED’s, Towbar! I ticked a few extra boxes the other day and got the options over 18 grand!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sad
F

Ferryman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
As anyone tried to spec all the extra needed to bring a coast to ocean level? I do not understand where the 8,500 pounds are... I can see about 5,000: led lights, interior light, 17 inch wheels, auto clim
I did this back in September and it comes very close in price maybe 500 or so difference. You would have to be strongly apposed to the electric roof to do that though as there are still some extras on the ocean you can’t get on the coast. But knock off a few of the big ticket items and the coast starts to look more attractive.

Corradobrit

Corradobrit

Vehicle
Looking to buy
LHD DSG 4motion Coast with
  • Pale wooden floor that matches the pale Coast cabinets
  • Front canvas window
  • Auxiliary heater no remote
  • Plug in 230v
  • Comfort mattress
  • 80L tank
  • Cheapest parking option with front and rear sensors and camera
  • Rubber mats
  • Climatronic
  • Acoustic tinted glass
  • Free red paint, will wrap the top half in white
Thats very similar to the LHD Cali Coast I plan to order. Can I ask where you are getting your's? One dealer I contacted in Europe is telling me a 10-12 month lead time.

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Just a teeny IMHO having spent a wonderful summer in our 6.1 Beach, mainly in Denmark. As a small family with dog we have concluded , contrary to my Beach pride previous postings, that we made a mistake :sorry. Apologies too for the lack of recent postings, new job, new house, life has been chaos but good chaos.

We love Cali life - no regrets but this model isn't for us. We want kitchen smells, a teeny fridge and dont need the whopper bed downstairs nor the double sliding doors. We don't like camping for long periods. It only works for us for one or two nights max. As a Covid busting, beachside, Euro Tour holiday wagon a Cali cannot be beaten but we dont want to set up a scout camp every time we stop.

The Beach's NavPro is dire, VW connect wifi a rip off, we dont need extra inside and outside LED's, nor extra front and rear lights and dont like the black interior. And what genius made the roof black on the Tour edition? Someone that enjoys poaching young children? And to add insult to sticky toddlers...the front canvas doesnt open? What's this? Prison spec?

Traction on the 2wd 6.1's ( even on the fabulous Michelin Cross tyres) is scrabblingly poor, especially when loaded.

I want a 230v hook up ( optional and not on mine...Zzzz) and two seats that swivel rather than our one. The table doesn't swing up, it's in the door and is poorly designed for stowage. So we've sold the 6.1 Beach Tour. The supplying dealer called me up and offered me 3% less than I paid new for it so I can avoid the DVLA registration nightmare and road tax cost. Goodbye Bubble Beach 6.1. Hello Bubble Coast 6.1View attachment 68904

Have ordered for March 2021 delivery. I need a no silly extras specification to keep the residual healthy.

LHD DSG 4motion Coast with
  • Pale wooden floor that matches the pale Coast cabinets
  • Front canvas window
  • Auxiliary heater no remote
  • Plug in 230v
  • Comfort mattress
  • 80L tank
  • Cheapest parking option with front and rear sensors and camera
  • Rubber mats
  • Climatronic
  • Acoustic tinted glass
  • Free red paint, will wrap the top half in white

I've kept my moon disc alloy wheels with tyres too to swap over...I'll be putting up a pile of Beach only accessories for sale soon.

Don't tell my wife that I have admitted that I was wrong, we're out of smelling salts but just thought I'd post the post that I'd like to have read before buying our Beach 6.1. IMHO.
So basically your Beach was not speced well at all. Why did you not get the Camp version instead? Only one sliding door and a mini kitchen built in. 230V is an option you spec ( I never uses ours after solar install). You just spec which seats should svivel and not (I have only sviveled the drivers seat once during our 4 years). Our canvas can be opened on both sides, no issue for us and makes it work with the Brandrup isotop (which probably will be tricky if you get the one which can bo opened in two ways in front).

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
There’s quite a difference.
But the big one is Rear Climate. My old Beach was missing this option.
It’s a must have option, especially if you have kids.

R

reggie59

Vehicle
Just browsing
There’s quite a difference.
But the big one is Rear Climate. My old Beach was missing this option.
It’s a must have option, especially if you have kids.
Yep. What is the view on the LED versus H7. Two considerations here again. Long term, the h7 will be cheap to maintain and run. The LED could be costly I assume LED are not replacable and the whole headlight will not changing? Second, is the H7 good enough?

66tim99

66tim99

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Yep. What is the view on the LED versus H7. Two considerations here again. Long term, the h7 will be cheap to maintain and run. The LED could be costly I assume LED are not replacable and the whole headlight will not changing? Second, is the H7 good enough?
The LED are like daylight, the H7 are adequate if you don't do much night driving...

Sunstoner

Sunstoner

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Ive not used the H7 on the Cali but many on here have said that the LEDs do make a night and day difference. In my own experience, the LEDs are a must. They do a great job.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I've had the H7s for the last 6 yrs and 97k miles with a fair amount of nighttime driving. I fitted Osram Night breaker bulbs and find them perfectly adequate.
Unless something has changed on the T6. 1 I, personally, wouldn't be paying extra for them.

VW California Club