Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A long road to the right answer

P

Persephone

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Even though we are new to camper van life, we knew the answer was a VW camper, but there were so many questions !!
This has led to months of research and indecision. We have been hiring different specifications of VW campers, asking ourselves whether we go for custom conversion, short wheel base, long wheel base, fixed roof, hi-top, pop top, shower ...... the list has been endless !!
This week we finally put an end to the misery we were inflicting on ourselves and placed our order.
Our new California Ocean 6.1 4Motion should be with us some time in April.
I’m starting to compile the list of things I will need to buy to go into the van - the usual pots pans mugs are on the list, but I would love to know either what your best camper accessories purchase was, or the one things you just couldn’t manage without ?

It’s the Cadac Chef Pro for me

There are a number of threads on the forum that discuss the very points you're mentioning. A quick search will return the info you're looking for

Even though we are new to camper van life, we knew the answer was a VW camper, but there were so many questions !!
This has led to months of research and indecision. We have been hiring different specifications of VW campers, asking ourselves whether we go for custom conversion, short wheel base, long wheel base, fixed roof, hi-top, pop top, shower ...... the list has been endless !!
This week we finally put an end to the misery we were inflicting on ourselves and placed our order.
I’m starting to compile the list of things I will need to buy to go into the van - the usual pots pans mugs are on the list, but I would love to know either what your best camper accessories purchase was, or the one things you just couldn’t manage without ?
congratulations and welcome, great choice
The Draw system under utility unit and shelves in wardrobe, believe they sell the draw system now from the shop.

Fortunately we are all different so essential kit to 1 camper is often clutter to the next. Much will depend on your own personal preferences and how you use the van - length of stay, weather, electric hook-up, many variables. Different kit for different types of trip.
Its so easy to spend a fortune on nice things that get little use and take up all your space. Take your time and learn what you really want as you go along. Many things you buy in haste can be improved upon - even mugs!

congratulations and welcome, great choice
The Draw system under utility unit and shelves in wardrobe, believe they sell the draw system now from the shop.
The drawers are very expensive though.

I would love to know either what your best camper accessories purchase was, or the one things you just couldn’t manage without ?

We have a Beach and camp as a family of four plus dog. The thing that has transformed our camping experience most may well be common to both variants. A decent storage system to make the best use of space behind the bench seat and under the multiflex.

The best thing I added was a slide out rear tray. No need to crawl around on the floor anymore fishing things out under the bed. It was quite expensive and took many hours to construct (no instructions).

IMG_20181104_142228.jpg

Personally, I think the main thing to remember is “ Less is More “, and multi-purpose.

One thing I learnt many years ago and have practiced ever since - Can you arrive on site in the middle of the night , in a rain storm, and go to bed without having to empty anything out of the Van/caravan/Motorhome. If you can then you’ve got it right.
We managed that with 5 kids in a Caravan and with 4 of us in a Van. With just the 2 of us it’s a doddle now.

Personally, I think the main thing to remember is “ Less is More “, and multi-purpose.

One thing I learnt many years ago and have practiced ever since - Can you arrive on site in the middle of the night , in a rain storm, and go to bed without having to empty anything out of the Van/caravan/Motorhome. If you can then you’ve got it right.
We managed that with 5 kids in a Caravan and with 4 of us in a Van. With just the 2 of us it’s a doddle now.
Spot on. Many years ago when we were tent camping in France (four of us), I saw two young women drive up in a T4, plug in and open a bottle of wine. I thought then, 'that is the perfect way to go camping' And it is.

The drawers are very expensive though.

But it's not that hard to build one yourself. Many have done it and it's a lot less expensive (213 pounds) and you can make it to your own needs. Order the aluminium L-shapes, the slides and bolts online, have them delivered and just put it together. I have done it in my living room, without much DIY-experience.
proefielen.jpg

lade11-973x547.jpg

But it's not that hard to build one yourself. Many have done it and it's a lot less expensive (213 pounds) and you can make it to your own needs. Order the aluminium L-shapes, the slides and bolts online, have them delivered and just put it together. I have done it in my living room, without much DIY-experience.
proefielen.jpg

lade11-973x547.jpg
Well done.

Yes totally agree, we put off purchasing any clutter until we had a good go in ours; down to Spain, then NC500 ; now find we have a routine of pitching camp in the dark and rain with minimal fuss.

Congratulations @Persephone on your order.
I think most on the forum who have ordered a new Cali have had to take a deep breath when spending so much on a Cali but most never regret it :thumb
Whilst I agree less is more my Best Buy (from recommendation on forum) was an electric hot plate so we could save our gas when on hook up.

I would say hold off purchasing, use items from home until you get a feel for what you need. I am a beach owner so my list will be different:

The things I wouldn't be without are:
Isotop liner for poptop- extends my season into winter.
Window bags for rear window (as Beach has no cupboards)
Spare Safe , protect that spare wheel they are too easy to remove on the VW range. For me this is a MUST BUY.
Bellows bungee.

Nice to have:
Seat pockets for a little extra storage.
Comfortz screen cover , seems more effective for me than the internal curtains.
Mattress protector and fitted sheets for the roof. Lovely and keep the mattress nice and clean.
Kampa Diddy heater for when on EHU, saves diesel on the parking heater. I have a cuboid which is very effective but a little larger the Diddy which fits perfectly in the gap behind the kitchen in an ocean apparently.

Things I'd buy differently maybe:
Pan set I have the Bruner 9+1 set which is amazing and all fits inside itself, its far too many pans, need 3 pans at most so smaller set would do fine. As much as I love it, I'd probably just get 2 or 3 pans if I started again, maybe even a ridgemonkey setup. Or the kampa sets are very good prices. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/?s=sauce+pan+set

The best thing I added was a slide out rear tray. No need to crawl around on the floor anymore fishing things out under the bed. It was quite expensive and took many hours to construct (no instructions).

View attachment 53892
I have just bought this - thank you, sadly also no instruction !!

Back