Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to order - from where?

H

hiro

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, just introducing myself. Had a couple of campervans before, inc a T5, but no California experience. I'm about to order an Ocean, having ummed and ahhed for months on what to get. I was going to get a Westfalia Joker City but the customer service from the dealers I've tried was so awful that it's put me off (and that's before they got any money, imagine what they'd be like afterwards!).

Having then considered a Cali, I've now been won over and have decided to order an Ocean in the next couple of days. I know I'm prob looking at late spring next year and I can live with that as there just doesn't seem any point in buying a used one for only 10 grand-ish less a couple of years old just to get it now, and regretting it next year. Not complaining about the low depreciation though : )

Anyway I live in South Yorkshire but frequently travel to the dark side of the Pennines to visit my daughter so I'm quite willing to buy from any dealership in the North. From what I've read on here, Guy at Preston VW is the best person for discount and customer service, is this still the case? Any other recommendations?

Newcastle gets good reviews and if you are ordering a 4WD you can at least test it out up there as the glaciers recede later than most other places.

Guy gets great reviews as you cross the pennines often.

Hereford is good but then Where you are Jupiter's probably nearer.

Just a few recommendations, not a particular recommendation.

Welcome by the way :thumb

Hi, just introducing myself. Had a couple of campervans before, inc a T5, but no California experience. I'm about to order an Ocean, having ummed and ahhed for months on what to get. I was going to get a Westfalia Joker City but the customer service from the dealers I've tried was so awful that it's put me off (and that's before they got any money, imagine what they'd be like afterwards!).

Having then considered a Cali, I've now been won over and have decided to order an Ocean in the next couple of days. I know I'm prob looking at late spring next year and I can live with that as there just doesn't seem any point in buying a used one for only 10 grand-ish less a couple of years old just to get it now, and regretting it next year. Not complaining about the low depreciation though : )

Anyway I live in South Yorkshire but frequently travel to the dark side of the Pennines to visit my daughter so I'm quite willing to buy from any dealership in the North. From what I've read on here, Guy at Preston VW is the best person for discount and customer service, is this still the case? Any other recommendations?
Would wholeheartedly recommend Guy at Preston. Ordered my second Cali through him recently. He's ready to do a great deal and look after you with any questions and queries you may have.

Welcome @hiro ,
The UK members will tell you theire dealer experience as i'm not from the UK can't help on thatone...

Welcome along.
I would suggest there are two view points.
You either know exactly what you want and just want to hand the dealer your list if your ready.
Or need to discuss options like swivel seats vs comfort seats etc and would like the guidance of the dealer.
In either case, I found Baillieston Van Centre a pleasure, not close but may be worth a call.

+1 for Guy at Preston, the nicest vehicle dealer I've ever come across.

He gave us a great discount without us even asking for it and then we managed to get a little extra when we agreed to buy warranty/servicing add ons. He's the only salesperson I've ever met that has talked us out of an optional extra we initially wanted, just based on his experience of things that might go wrong.

Our Cali is so ridiculously delayed that I actually feel sorry for him when I call him once a month for an update and his frustration with VW in Germany is clear to see and hear.

We drove from the South East to Preston so it's a no brainer to cross the Pennines for quality service.

• Can highly recommend Mark Charles Donnelly Van Centre Dungannon Northern Ireland where we purchased from excellent service and hand over, and use Guy at Preston for all servicing/warranty work.

I've used the Commercial Van dealer in Sheffield, JCT600, to service my Cali. The customer service was outstanding. I'm aware they also do new sales (they had an Ocean in the showroom when I popped in), but can't comment on it as someone who's been through the process. Although they did seem friendly enough, allowing me to have a good look around it. Decided not to upgrade just yet though ;)

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions :thumb Glasgow, Hereford and NI a bit far for me though, I'm going to see if I can get over to Preston on my day off next week. Hope to have a look at some van colours too, can't make my mind up between Blackberry and Grey. Not going for 4wd though Granny Jen, would love it but can't justify the extra £5.5k!

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions :thumb Glasgow, Hereford and NI a bit far for me though, I'm going to see if I can get over to Preston on my day off next week. Hope to have a look at some van colours too, can't make my mind up between Blackberry and Grey. Not going for 4wd though Granny Jen, would love it but can't justify the extra £5.5k!

Oh! Well you can still go to Newcastle, it's a lovely city although my roots are a few miles South, the equatorial zone of Roker.

Assuming you've read this?

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/new-engine-required.14852/

Another of Guy's happy punters . Difficult to fault him.

Hi Guy at Preston has been excellent we have had our new Cali 3 weeks and have just ordered new work van through him also.

I was going to get a Westfalia Joker City but the customer service from the dealers I've tried was so awful that it's put me off (and that's before they got any money, imagine what they'd be like afterwards!).

We had similar offputting experiences with the Westfalia et al at the NEC show and this really convinced us to order the T6 Ocean. After a lot of further reseach and talking to a shortlist of recommended Cali dealers, one stood out head and shoulders above the rest for straightforward honesty, customer service, product knowledge and price - Mark Wheelwright at West Yorks Van Centre. We were not disappointed.

You don't need to look any farther a field than Guy at Preston. We have never had a Camper before and he helped us through the whole process - I never once felt I was being pushed in to anything. Got a great deal with very little effort - even gave an excellent price on the Fiat 500 trade in which they didn't really want.
Since getting the van in March I have had a few chats with Andy in service who is also very helpful and seems to know his way round the California.

Sorry, but I don't see what that thread, relating to the SE 180, has to do with the OP possibly purchasing an Ocean which is a T6 model and has different engines compared to the T5.
Unless it is to do with the Dealer involved.

Quite clearly the latter

Had 2 vans from Guy in Preston - about to order a 3rd from him within the next 6 months. Decent bloke.

Bought our first Cali from Sheffield Van Centre and our second is due to be picked up in September ( now confirmed) from there as well. No problems with them at all and they matched the price Preston gave us. It's good to build a relationship with your nearest dealer, as I find they are a bit more attentive if you bought it from them and subsequently needs warranty work. Give Paul Clements a ring as he sorted us out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Frustratingly it looks like I won't get a day off this week, but I'm using the time to research more whenever I get chance

Make sure you order soon otherwise you will get hit with the increased road tax from April 2017! Ends up about £3500 over 5 years instead of under £2000

Make sure you order soon otherwise you will get hit with the increased road tax from April 2017! Ends up about £3500 over 5 years instead of under £2000
Its all relative, my old car wa £490 a year and due to the actual vehicle and enjoyment related to using it it didn't cause me any concern.

Well, for completeness I thought I'd better post the conclusion to this.

After a huge amount of thought, research, sitting in and driving demo vehicles and talking to people, I have now placed an order - but not for a Cali. I realised that - although I loved the appearance, culture, and idea of owning a Cali - before I even got one I was planning on ways I would need to change it to make it into the ideal vehicle for me. I kept coming back to the Westfalia Club Joker City and the fact that it would fit my needs better than the Cali without making modifications or compromises.

So that's what I've done, I've gone to a different dealer, who has been very helpful, poles apart from previous experience, and placed an order for a Club Joker City 150 DSG in Indium Grey with various options. Spec for spec it is more expensive than the Cali, and is maybe not as stylish to look at from the outside, but it fits my needs exactly, which is what matters when you're spending the thick end of £60k on anything.

So I'm now in the same position as many of you, wishing the year away so I can get my van and get out there! Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions and advice and I'm sure we'll all enjoy our VW campers, whatever the model :thefinger

Well, for completeness I thought I'd better post the conclusion to this.

After a huge amount of thought, research, sitting in and driving demo vehicles and talking to people, I have now placed an order - but not for a Cali. I realised that - although I loved the appearance, culture, and idea of owning a Cali - before I even got one I was planning on ways I would need to change it to make it into the ideal vehicle for me. I kept coming back to the Westfalia Club Joker City and the fact that it would fit my needs better than the Cali without making modifications or compromises.

So that's what I've done, I've gone to a different dealer, who has been very helpful, poles apart from previous experience, and placed an order for a Club Joker City 150 DSG in Indium Grey with various options. Spec for spec it is more expensive than the Cali, and is maybe not as stylish to look at from the outside, but it fits my needs exactly, which is what matters when you're spending the thick end of £60k on anything.

So I'm now in the same position as many of you, wishing the year away so I can get my van and get out there! Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions and advice and I'm sure we'll all enjoy our VW campers, whatever the model :thefinger
Thanks
It's great getting feedback.

Back