Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California ocean order.

Lukem

Lukem

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Hi guys,

I've placed the order for our California ocean and the spec I've gone for is.

150ps manual in reflex silver.
Privacy glass.
Adaptive cruise control.
Led lights.
Towbar prep.
Chrome pack.
Premium Bluetooth.
Composition stereo.
App connect.
Shower connection and comfort lighting.
Mudflaps.
Parking sensors front and rear.

I'm still a little worried about not having the DSG box but I'd have to sacrifice the led lights and metallic paint to make it fit my budget.

What do you think?
Thanks.

Personal i rather be driving DSG and standard color with standard lights ....
DSG is very smooth and drives very relaxed ....and relax driving is whats a Cali all about .

If you conciderd DSG and now not ordering it due your other options i think you should save some more money and wait.

Welcome and nice spec.

When I placed my order I went the other way sacrificing LED lights for DSG. I know people say the lights are terrible but we've never found them a problem on our T5.1 California and have fallen in love with DSG on our Touran. I just hope it not a specific issue with T6 lights. Time will tell. You know what is right for you will love it as the Cali is wonderful vehicle no matter what the specification.

Mr California (I don't know him well enough to call him Hotel :thumb) makes a good point about waiting. Also out of interest what were you told the Comfort lighting gave you?

If you want DSG and silver, I would be tempted to knock the chrome pack off to save a few hunded quid. I think it looks better on the darker colours. I'm very happy with the manual, easy changes, light clutch and gearstick perfectly placed at the end of the armrest!

Personally I'm sceptical of LED lights. How much will they cost to replace when they fail? Can you change the bulbs at the roadside at night?

Mr California (I don't know him well enough to call him Hotel :thumb) makes a good point about waiting. Also out of interest what were you told the Comfort lighting gave you?
Hi.
I started off with the idea that I wouldn't have any options and just be content with the standard California. I've added these options as a little treat and I sacrificed the DSG for options because I still love the drive of the manual.
The comfort lighting gives you submarine lighting in the cab by the way.

I notice you've not got an awning on your list?

Personal i rather be driving DSG and standard color with standard lights ....
DSG is very smooth and drives very relaxed ....and relax driving is whats a Cali all about .

If you conciderd DSG and now not ordering it due your other options i think you should save some more money and wait.
I've set the limit for the price of my order so I have to juggle the options until I reach a happy medium. If I go above this my wife will probably kill me! Haha.

I've always had manual cars and vans so I don't think I'll miss the DSG and 2k is a lot to spend on a gearbox.

I never had any other than manual driven car either in +20y of car owning , but the DSG is one of the best things on my Cali.

I was the same until we had our new Touran. I wanted the 190 BHP engine and could only have that with a DSG box. It has changed my mind completely especially when linked with the adaptive cruise control. It means in traffic you can let the vehicle deal from 0 to 60. My only slight regret from buying our first Cali was not test driving the DSG especially with the smaller engine option (140 at the time). I found that on very hilly roads like the A30 to Cornwall I change gear more often then I would like. I think we wrote it off too soon.

So it seems you know your own mind which is great. My only advice now is to try a 150 DSG if you haven't already. Either way I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Oh and make sure you are completely happy with your awning decision. It is twice the price to retrofit. We have taken the view to have it and if we don't use it to sell it on. Most likely at a slight profit.

All the best.

I had the DSG box on my Cali based on driving my wife's DSG EOS which is smooth and makes a gearlever seem pointless.

I find the DSG on my T6 difficult to engage smoothly when reversing up hill, even a small gradient needs revs to engage drive. It may be related to the 7 speed version, the EOS has a 6 speed one and engages easily.

Other than that I doubt if I could keep track of 7 gears on a manual basis, I used to forget to use 6th on a Passat that I previously owned.

As an option I'd still have a DSG box rather than LED headlights unless more than 75% of my driving was at night. Also how many times do I need full beam or should I say can use full beam due the oncoming traffic.

Simples. Get the DSG.
Had it from 2004 on a Touran and it was seemless for 12 years.
It was the first thing on the list. Fits beautifully with a big engined heavy vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was the same until we had our new Touran. I wanted the 190 BHP engine and could only have that with a DSG box. It has changed my mind completely especially when linked with the adaptive cruise control. It means in traffic you can let the vehicle deal from 0 to 60. My only slight regret from buying our first Cali was not test driving the DSG especially with the smaller engine option (140 at the time). I found that on very hilly roads like the A30 to Cornwall I change gear more often then I would like. I think we wrote it off too soon.

So it seems you know your own mind which is great. My only advice now is to try a 150 DSG if you haven't already. Either way I'm sure you'll be very happy.

Oh and make sure you are completely happy with your awning decision. It is twice the price to retrofit. We have taken the view to have it and if we don't use it to sell it on. Most likely at a slight profit.

All the best.
I am having doubts about my decision not to have the DSG so I might need to re think. I never thought this would be such a difficult decision!

I think your idea about the awning is also a good one. I could always sell it if we don't use it. I think another discussion with my wife and dealer is on the cards. Haha.

Privacy glass doesn't give much privacy. Most then have to add a proper privacy film later to get true privacy.
I had privacy glass but then found I had to add the film which means that I could have saved on that option.

If you can sit in a demo Cali with privacy glass you will be able to judge or find a local owner who will assist.

Just to add, I'm not sure how useful ACC would be with a manual box.

I'd lose the LED lights, chrome pack and premium Bluetooth for DSG + awning.

Out of interest what does the premium Bluetooth give you? The standard Bluetooth works fine on mine.

It's all down to personal choice, but as a DSG owner, I would not want to be without it. I thought the led lights are well overpriced, so I didn't specify them. I will likely upgrade my standard lights with better bulbs later. Certainly don't regret not specifying them. As has been pointed out above, ACC makes much more sense with the DSG box

Charles

It's all down to personal choice, but as a DSG owner, I would not want to be without it. I thought the led lights are well overpriced, so I didn't specify them. I will likely upgrade my standard lights with better bulbs later. Certainly don't regret not specifying them. As has been pointed out above, ACC makes much more sense with the DSG box

Charles
ACC works well with a manual, the camper indicates when to change gear and doesn't switch off the cruise control between gear changes unlike normal cruise control. I use it a lot, especially on A roads.

That's right. I use the large drive away awnings so I not going for it. My wife also doesn't like the look of it.

If you only ever do longer stops then I understand the driveaway awning preference (we have just bought a new one), but to be able to pitch up anywhere and enjoy sitting outside in minutes, even in the pouring rain, under our awning is one of the things I love about our Cali. Add the almost weightless mesh windblockers and you have a large mini tent/screen room that is draught free, too.

If you only ever do longer stops then I understand the driveaway awning preference (we have just bought a new one), but to be able to pitch up anywhere and enjoy sitting outside in minutes, even in the pouring rain, under our awning is one of the things I love about our Cali. Add the almost weightless mesh windblockers and you have a large mini tent/screen room that is draught free, too.
Well after sitting on a scorching beach at Weston this weekend I've added it to the options list. It would be daft not to have it at that price and I bet we'll use it a lot. Thanks.

Just to add, I'm not sure how useful ACC would be with a manual box.

I'd lose the LED lights, chrome pack and premium Bluetooth for DSG + awning.

Out of interest what does the premium Bluetooth give you? The standard Bluetooth works fine on mine.
The premium Bluetooth gives you a wifi connection which boosts phone use in the rear of the van. I think that's correct any way.

Well after sitting on a scorching beach at Weston this weekend I've added it to the options list. It would be daft not to have it at that price and I bet we'll use it a lot. Thanks.

One thing I once neglected to do (this was with our Landrover awning) was to lower one of the support legs when rain was forecast, so that water can run off harmlessly to one end of the front and never get a chance to pool in the awning fabric. No lasting harm done but we were awoken in the middle of the night to a huge 'bang!' as it collapsed under an enormous weight of water. Lesson learned. ;-)