Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ABS lights replacement dash?

M

Marshy

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hello
Please can anyone advise.
I see there are other discussions re ABS lights and sensors but can I ask if anyone has had to have a replacement dash? I have a 14 plate beach and the light has been intermittent along with low tyre pressure for months. We took it to a local garage they said the fault was a sensor and replaced it. When we picked it up and drove away the light came back on. They said the fault reader had said that was the issue so suggested we take it to a dealer. We have now taken it to a dealer who has had it for nearly 2 weeks and is now saying we need a new dash. I don’t have a price yet as they left me a voicemail to call back. I’m very concerned it sounds hugely expensive and also all the threads on here relate to sensors being the error not dashboards. I also mentioned this forum and that it’s a known problem and they claim they have never seen it before.
Thanks

What do you think? Does it sound reasonable to you that an entire dash needs replacing just because there is a warning light on, something it’s designed to do?

No, didn’t think so!!

Find someone who knows what they’re doing and fix the simple problem.

Hello
Please can anyone advise.
I see there are other discussions re ABS lights and sensors but can I ask if anyone has had to have a replacement dash? I have a 14 plate beach and the light has been intermittent along with low tyre pressure for months. We took it to a local garage they said the fault was a sensor and replaced it. When we picked it up and drove away the light came back on. They said the fault reader had said that was the issue so suggested we take it to a dealer. We have now taken it to a dealer who has had it for nearly 2 weeks and is now saying we need a new dash. I don’t have a price yet as they left me a voicemail to call back. I’m very concerned it sounds hugely expensive and also all the threads on here relate to sensors being the error not dashboards. I also mentioned this forum and that it’s a known problem and they claim they have never seen it before.
Thanks
Were all 4 sensors replaced by the independent garage. If not I would start there. Dealers are notoriously bad for cracking nuts with pile drivers.

I see you are in West Sussex. Worth taking it to these guys in Burgess Hill for a 2nd opinion, they have years of knowledge and won’t rip you off:

I recall researching this a few years ago when I ended up needing a new ABS unit on a 2006 T5. Yes sensors were the common problem but sometimes faulty/damaged/corroded wiring, somewhere near rear wheel arch and difficult to access if my memory is correct.

I recall researching this a few years ago when I ended up needing a new ABS unit on a 2006 T5. Yes sensors were the common problem but sometimes faulty/damaged/corroded wiring, somewhere near rear wheel arch and difficult to access if my memory is correct.

@Marshy Get an independent garage to change the other ABS sensors first then if there's still an issue on the dash lights check the ABS wiring as in the video above. Good luck!

Were all 4 sensors replaced by the independent garage. If not I would start there. Dealers are notoriously bad for cracking nuts with pile drivers.
No just the one that came up when they hooked it up to the reader. The dealer was a last resort but a lot of local independent garages I’ve rung say they don’t have height clearance to put the van on their ramps. I’m booked in now with one suggested in thread.

if the Sensors are not the issue,?
get an auto electrician to check the Vehicles earth circuits, as mentioned above T5 suffered from various earthing issues from the rear lights right up to the front !
Bad earth can throw up lots of spurious issues

No just the one that came up when they hooked it up to the reader. The dealer was a last resort but a lot of local independent garages I’ve rung say they don’t have height clearance to put the van on their ramps. I’m booked in now with one suggested in thread.
Another local VW expert, who has Transporter experience, CLC Sussex, in Upper Beeding.