Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Will a new head unit improve my sound quality?

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have the standard RCD310 head unit. I recently had Hazzydayz install component speakers front and back and a powered sub under the drivers seat, along with an amp for the other speakers. All Alpine. It sounds good, but I'm not satisfied! Incidentally we will be at Calis on the Farm if anyone fancies a listen.

Is a better head unit capable of making much difference? Its overall clarity that I'm primarily interested in.

I'm very interested in the Parrot RNB6 - to be released some time this year - Google it! (I'm hoping it will mirror TomTom from my iPhone and do DAB)

Any thoughts from you car audio buffs greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Ian

Im the other way around, have installed Kenwood head unit now want speakers and underseat sub, what speakers have you used ? The kenwood does allow alot more adjustment of the sound and using rca leads should increase sound quality.

I'd say a new head unit would make the world of difference. VW units are not designed to be run with such high end equipment.

I imagine a good car stereo shop would be able to demo a unit in your cali prior to purchase.

Jaye - sorry I only know all the equipment was alpine

Thanks both for your positive responses!

I hadn't thought that a demo would be possible - I'll certainly give that a try when the RNB6 comes out

Just for info, my son has today, with some remote input from Hazzydayz, in particular the loan of VAGCOM, obtained a "line level" output from my rcd310 to the Hazzydays installation I describe above. The whole set up is transformed. I finally have the sound quality I yearned for. No need to upgrade the head unit, though I might at some later point to get dab.

I hadn't thought that a demo would be possible - I'll certainly give that a try when the RNB6 comes out

I don't think the RNB6 is going to come out. I found this statement:

As of today there is no plan to sell RNB6 in Aftermarket channels as RNB6 embedded technologies require deep integration with car series and manufacturers.

on the Parrot site.

No indeed. Oh well - at least I've now got excellent sound. I am quite surprised and disappointed just how far behind head units seem to be - I'm told it's because they don't get the same resources thrown at then as iPads

Back