Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ACC options

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Whilst driving along in my T6.1 I noticed at top of dash it said ECO. Now I know I get this in the Golf where you can choose 4 different driving characteristics which alter acce;ration and steering weight so I started to wonder if I had it on this. Couldn't find it anywhere until just by chance I opened the Adaptive Cruise Control settings and bingo found what I thought was it. Slightly dissapointed to find it's nothing to do with driving modes but simply the control for the ACC. Basically from what I can see it simply controls the speed at which the vehicle recovers back to your set speed after slowing down. In Sport it basically seems to put it's foot down to get back up to set speed whereas Eco takes it's time - I've found Normal is best. Anyone else found this??

‘Eco’ just refers to the driving style at the time, rather than a setting. It comes on when you’re travelling with little or no accelerator pedal depression .

Yeh I've noticed that but it left me inquisitive so started looking and found the ACC options - the Eco in that seems a little pointless as seems to not be bothered by getting back up to speed lol. So set ACC at 70, slowed down by vehicle in front at 60 so indicate and pull out into fast lane and wait, and wait, and in the end put foot on accelerator to get back up to 70! Sport - slowed down to 60, pull out indicating and up to 70 in a flash lol

Not sure how it does it on a Cali, will check, but Eco on my Tiguan actually turns off two cylinders at certain speeds to save fuel. Works well. On the Tiguan that is separate to the eco drive setting that does as said above on pickup etc.

Not sure how it does it on a Cali, will check, but Eco on my Tiguan actually turns off two cylinders at certain speeds to save fuel. Works well. On the Tiguan that is separate to the eco drive setting that does as said above on pickup etc.
I think that’ll be a petrol TSI engine. My sons Golf has the same.

‘Eco’ just refers to the driving style at the time, rather than a setting. It comes on when you’re travelling with little or no accelerator pedal depression .
Yes I suspected the same, but it doesn't always come on with my foot off the gas. And I wondered what the point was, if it comes on at times unrelated to your driving style. I expected to see it when 'coasting', which sometimes seems to be the case, but not always.
VW helpful with their explanation as ever...
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/e...y-vehicle/warning-lights/economical-mode.html

From the manual. Nothing fancy engine side, just slower pickup of the acceleration methinks.

Eco.jpeg

From the manual. Nothing fancy engine side, just slower pickup of the acceleration methinks.

View attachment 123969
I think that’s different - looks like the Dynamic Chassis control settings, which confusingly also has an eco mode.
I’m thinking of the one that lights on the dash, sometimes when coasting
IMG_9468.jpeg

I think that’s different - looks like the Dynamic Chassis control settings, which confusingly also has an eco mode.
I’m thinking of the one that lights on the dash, sometimes when coasting
View attachment 123972
The modes are on ACC, which I have. Cant say for Dynamic, don’t have:

Post in thread 'Driving Mode'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/driving-mode.41950/post-540633

For the light, I can’t find info but it sounds like my Tiguan. Switches pots off under certain conditions to save fuel. Likely one of the myriad of Euro6 tricks.

Forgot about that one.
That’s 3 x ‘eco’ modes then - ACC, DCC and ‘sometimes you see’.
Nice one VW!
On my T5.1 when Coasting the gear display on the MFD disappears. Is the White Light the equivalent?

On my T5.1 when Coasting the gear display on the MFD disappears. Is the White Light the equivalent?
I think it probably is….but the white light doesn’t always seem to illuminate when I feel like I’m coasting (the gear display remains lit on the 6.1).
There are clever electronics doing many things of course, so perhaps similar to engine start/stop not engaging when charge is required, eco mode doesn’t engage when engine power is required for something.

The modes are on ACC, which I have. Cant say for Dynamic, don’t have:

Post in thread 'Driving Mode'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/driving-mode.41950/post-540633

For the light, I can’t find info but it sounds like my Tiguan. Switches pots off under certain conditions to save fuel. Likely one of the myriad of Euro6 tricks.
The technology your Tiguan is using is ACT - Active Cylinder Technology, which appears on some VW petrol engined TSI vehicles. Given the basic differences of petrol / diesel engines, I can’t visualise how this could work in a diesel engine.

Back