Bedding in or driving style?

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have been monitoring my full tank to full tank fuel consumption. I only have three refuels so far, but the MPG is nicely rising:

Odometer Mileage Fuel used -- MPG
----- 1600 ------ 511 ----- 72.91 --- 31.9
----- 2099 ------ 499 ----- 66.86 --- 34.0
----- 2690 ------ 591 ----- 72.81 --- 37.0

This is some way off the 40.4 urban to 47.9 extra urban claimed by VW for the 150 DSG Beach, but if the trend continues I might be somewhere close soon. But is the improvement most likely to be due to the type of driving I've been doing between refuels, or the engine bedding in?

I use adaptive cruise control a lot, and generally set it at the speed limit or 55/65 mph when driving on national speed limit roads, only going to 60/70 to overtake.

I was wondering about the effects of cruise control on economy. I only have the standard option but I noticed that when its engaged the DSG never enters "coast" mode when going downhill. I'm not really surprised by that behaviour but I wonder whether better economy can be achieved when CC is not engaged.

I've always found that economy is better without cruise control. On a flat motorway probably no difference but in hilly areas the cruise will hold the speed it's set to on downhills rather than letting it go and use the extra momentum to help get up the ascent.

Weird I find economy much better with cruise, I only have the normal one mind you so it wont change speed unless I make it.

If I drive at about 62-65 I can get a little over 40mpg region, 70 is about 35-38mpg.

I also find regularly charging the batteries via hookup helps too, when the batteries are full, the blue motion seems to work better and the alternator kicks in less.

I find economy to be fantastic on cruise with just a few interventions on downhill segments to engage coasting and always knock the speed down 5-10mph on uphill stints.

Did a long stint from the South East to the Lakes and onto Scotland over Easter and was consistently getting 47mpg on the MFD. Granted this isn't anywhere near as accurate as brim-brim but really impressed. Just wish I could say the same around town.

ACC is excellent but like people say it's important to understand what it's doing and the loss of coast on the downhills so for me its judicial use of the cancel and resume modes combined with a sensible top speed. Varies slightly as best economy is about 60 but sometimes I will up this to free myself from the heavies.

Mike

Big fan of cruise not least on those long Continental trips on typical deserted motorways (compared to ours) - the Cali is a good system IME and is wonderfully easy to adjust and control speed by hand rather than foot.

I have been monitoring my full tank to full tank fuel consumption. I only have three refuels so far, but the MPG is nicely rising:

Odometer Mileage Fuel used -- MPG
----- 1600 ------ 511 ----- 72.91 --- 31.9
----- 2099 ------ 499 ----- 66.86 --- 34.0
----- 2690 ------ 591 ----- 72.81 --- 37.0

This is some way off the 40.4 urban to 47.9 extra urban claimed by VW for the 150 DSG Beach, but if the trend continues I might be somewhere close soon. But is the improvement most likely to be due to the type of driving I've been doing between refuels, or the engine bedding in?

I use adaptive cruise control a lot, and generally set it at the speed limit or 55/65 mph when driving on national speed limit roads, only going to 60/70 to overtake.

Very thorough maths, thanks for taking the trouble to set it all out. I'd be interested to know what the MFD thinks you're getting in comparison to your calcs ...?

No chance of getting above 40mpg in a Cali. Not in real world driving.
I would take Volkswagens figures with a pinch of salt.

No chance of getting above 40mpg in a Cali. Not in real world driving.
I would take Volkswagens figures with a pinch of salt.

Agree - I always go with 'Urban' as the hoped for overall lifetime consumption figure and sometimes 10% less than that. But if that 40mpg is a real urban :eek: figure VW is quoting that that even goes beyond the usual VW gaul to conjure up such a figure.

Not sure if the Cali is on there but Honest John's Real MPG site is useful and was spot on for our last few cars.

I was wondering about the effects of cruise control on economy. I only have the standard option but I noticed that when its engaged the DSG never enters "coast" mode when going downhill. I'm not really surprised by that behaviour but I wonder whether better economy can be achieved when CC is not engaged.

A light tap on the brake disengages cruise on the downhill and resume cruise when you reach the appropriate speed.

I love cruise controll, but flip the switch on descents to use coast

Another lover here.
Couldn't imagine the long trips without cruise

I also agree that cruise control gives better fuel economy than I seem to get manually. I haven't written down the figures but my gut feel is that the computer is very optimistic and over-states economy by anything up to 20%.

There is a little switch on the cruise controll arm, give that a flip...saves flashing your brake lights

I think that the difference is that the switch cancels the cruise control completely; tapping the brake disengages the cruise control but leaves the current speed setting in place so you can resume it easily.

Presume you mean driving at 60mph rather than achieving 60mpg Mike. That would be impressive ;).
Only when the brick is going downhill in coast

Mike

I think that the difference is that the switch cancels the cruise control completely; tapping the brake disengages the cruise control but leaves the current speed setting in place so you can resume it easily.
Not on the T5 and don't think it is any different on the T6. It has 2 positions, Disengage or Switch Off.

There are so many variables that getting anywhere near the stated fuel consumptions are just pie in the sky.
The California is as aerodynamic as a brick. Wind behind, in front or to the side have a tremendous effect. Tyres, load etc as well.
None of these are taken into account in the official figures.

Cars are different as they are much more aerodynamic and less prone to wind forces and certainly don't normally carry the load a California carries.

Have fun comparing MPG, but don't let it spoil your enjoyment.

There are so many variables that getting anywhere near the stated fuel consumptions are just pie in the sky.
The California is as aerodynamic as a brick. Wind behind, in front or to the side have a tremendous effect. Tyres, load etc as well.
None of these are taken into account in the official figures.

Cars are different as they are much more aerodynamic and less prone to wind forces and certainly don't normally carry the load a California carries.

Have fun comparing MPG, but don't let it spoil your enjoyment.
Remarkably putting a kayak on the roof makes a significant difference. You would have thought that putting a pointy thing designed to cut through the waves on top of what is essentially a brick wall wouldn't have much effect - but perhaps the Cali does have some positive aerodynamics after all.

Very thorough maths, thanks for taking the trouble to set it all out. I'd be interested to know what the MFD thinks you're getting in comparison to your calcs ...?
Reset after the latest refuel, it is currently reporting 42 mpg. Prior to that was 38 mpg (over two refuels) with an actual mpg of 35.6 mpg. I should add that I at the moment I am driving with economy in mind, and the settings for ACC are for economy.

Three decades ago, I used to try to beat my personal best speed on the long downhill section of the M25 between Pilots' Wood and the M25/M26/A21 junction. Three decades later, I try to beat my personal best fuel economy on the same section of road.

Reset after the latest refuel, it is currently reporting 42 mpg. Prior to that was 38 mpg (over two refuels) with an actual mpg of 35.6 mpg. I should add that I at the moment I am driving with economy in mind, and the settings for ACC are for economy.

Three decades ago, I used to try to beat my personal best speed on the long downhill section of the M25 between Pilots' Wood and the M25/M26/A21 junction. Three decades later, I try to beat my personal best fuel economy on the same section of road.
Me too Tom. its amazing how those two figures bring out the Scotsman in me :D