Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessing a roof box

theoldmancunian

theoldmancunian

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Does anyone know of a roof box system which allows you to get at it without a) climbing on the back seat and hanging precariously from the awning, or b) taking a set of steps with you?

I did hear of a system which allowed the roof bars to swing down by the side of the van, but being designed for kayaks or surf boards, it turns the load through 90 degrees and therefore won't work for a roof box (unless, of course, you want all your belongings tipped out onto the ground when you try to open it up).

When we head off on our annual summer jaunt through Europe, we end up using a box to carry those extra bits that aren't needed all that often but without which one of the kids would inevitably be annoyed (wet suits and the like).

Any thoughts, anyone?

Have you considered pitting a box on the tow bar or bicycle rack?

Yes, that's possible, but we also take bikes (sometimes). What would you recommend if we do go down this route?

Silly answer - Take less stuff. rule is if you don't use it on 1st trip then it doesn't come on next trip.
Serious answer - buy a trailer.
Serious answer - buy brompton / folding bikes that can go inside. and frees up the bike rack for a thule box.

I like the first rule! Mind you, you try telling that to the kids .....

Have a look at the Thule boxes - lots of options.

I am official sad I was thinking about this whilst eating my dinner.
Buy a towbar bike rack that the thule box fits. That free's up the VW bike rack for your bikes.
only problem is you need to remove alot if you need to get in the boot.

Chris, that's the reason why we've never gone for a towbar mounted box .... (also we already had the roofbox and there didn't seem to be a lot of reason not to use it).

I suspect that I'm going to be sticking to what we've currently got, uncomfortable or not. I'm not sure that the alternatives wouldn't pose their own problems. But I will be more ruthless about what we should take or not.

Thanks everyone ....

We take a decorators step/platform away with us. Originally, it was to help with loading bicycles onto the VW rack and help with fitting the Vanorak. We never used it for either of those things though! We did however find it very useful as a seat and for washing up, cooking on etc. And if you needed to get to the roof.. it would be handy. Very useful bit of kit, cheap and light too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003IBT61W/?tag=eliteelect-21

Been considering one of these myself Andy. Where do you store it in the Cali and when using it to access the bed where do you position it as I'm thinking it's too wide to fit between the seats.

Been considering one of these myself Andy. Where do you store it in the Cali and when using it to access the bed where do you position it as I'm thinking it's too wide to fit between the seats.

Not a clue mate. Never used my top bed !!!! So don't need one, was just a suggestion cos I know others use them.

I think Oli said he has them in his hire Calis, maybe ask him.

Re extendible ladder. I store mine behind passenger seat with a cushion between it and the plug sockets on the side of the sink unit. for getting up to top bed I have both front seats facing towards the back and put thevtop oF the extended ladder against the rim of the roof near the front control panel.it doesn't need to be fully extended to do this and seems p,retry robust.If you are using it outside to get to the roof you need to be sure to have something that cushions the top against any supporting metalwork on the van otherwise you could get a dent appear. they also can be used as a clothes drier!

Ahh that's interesting, thanks. :thumb

Isa Neal said:
they also can be used as a clothes drier!

Oh, we have some sort of a rack thingy on the tailgate for that :laugh2 :doh

Back