Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessing Leisure Battery VW Beach

steviep2000

steviep2000

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
hi everyone, posting in the beginners forum even though we have had our Cali Beach 2017 for a couple of years now. I am experiencing some issues with the diesel heater. It’s switching itself off when the engine is off, but firing up fine when engine on. This makes me think that this could have something to do with Leisure Battery. can anyone tell me how I can access the leisure battery and measure the voltage it is carrying? I know it’s under the passenger seat but I have no idea how to actually get to it!
also, am I right in thinking that the diesel heater does require some power from the leisure battery? The guy on a Bus and Beyond on YouTube seemed to think that the heater and better are completely separate so it should work even if battery is dead/dying?

Hi Stevie,

the easiest way to check the leisure Bat charge is via the 12v socket in the panel at the rear of the siding door (c pillar)

you can either use a volt meter or use a 12v extension with a switch and voltage display

something similar to this

Check the voltage should be 12.5v or above

put the van on Hook up, the voltage should rise to 13 - 14volts, showing the battery is charging

try the heater whilst on hook up, I.e leisure battery being charged.

leave the van on hook up for at least 24 hours once per month, to ensure leisure Battery is charged and conditionEd.

if you have to get to the leisure Battery, it Is under the front passenger seat on a RHD vehicle. there Are threads on the forum how to access the Battery without fully removing the seat.

See this post for access to the leisure battery under passenger seat

Attachments

• EF370DB2-ABF4-4E65-ABBA-40EBFD715B2F.jpeg
    EF370DB2-ABF4-4E65-ABBA-40EBFD715B2F.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 33
Ok. So the premise here is that anything plugged in the back will be drawing from the leisure battery. Got it.

Ok. So the premise here is that anything plugged in the back will be drawing from the leisure battery. Got it.
One or two people on here have found some peculiarities of a socket on dash running from leisure and a 12V on kitchen running off engine battery.
The advice I recall was to use a voltmeter to check to be sure you don’t inadvertently drain the engine battery whilst camping.

hi everyone, posting in the beginners forum even though we have had our Cali Beach 2017 for a couple of years now. I am experiencing some issues with the diesel heater. It’s switching itself off when the engine is off, but firing up fine when engine on. This makes me think that this could have something to do with Leisure Battery. can anyone tell me how I can access the leisure battery and measure the voltage it is carrying? I know it’s under the passenger seat but I have no idea how to actually get to it!
also, am I right in thinking that the diesel heater does require some power from the leisure battery? The guy on a Bus and Beyond on YouTube seemed to think that the heater and better are completely separate so it should work even if battery is dead/dying?
See the post from @Perfectos regarding checking the Leisure Battery. The Parking heater runs off the Leisure Battery for electrical power. The fact that it runs OK with the engine running and probably when the vehicle is plugged into the mains would indicate that the Leisure Battery has a low voltage. If the voltage is around 11.5 volts when the heater is trying to start, it won’t to protect the battery.
if the recommendations regarding charging the Leisure Battery monthly for a minimum 12 hrs, as detailed in the handbook, have not been followed then it might be failing.