Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessories that are a waste of money

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Can I throw in the electric sliding door into this pot?

Nipping out to the loo is a nightmare at 2am with the door beeping away each time its opened and closed. Amazing how loud it sounds at the dead of nightI. had to set it to manual each time and use every ounce of my strength to then pull / push the ruddy thing open.
How do you set it to manual?

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm beginning to think App Connect is not all its cracked up to be (Android Auto in my case). It severely limits the capability of the phone and often gets its knickers in a twist establishing a proper connection... Both of which tempt you to start fiddling with your phone when moving. All of the streamed music connectivity benefits are there with Bluetooth.
(if all this is user error, please point me to the thread where I can become a grand master).
my app connect is constantly failing to connect. and what is that mirror link?i can't get that working but think that's my phone that doesn't support it ? I suspect I need a better quality high speed cable. i'm going to try that. have you tried a different cable ?

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
my app connect is constantly failing to connect. and what is that mirror link?i can't get that working but think that's my phone that doesn't support it ? I suspect I need a better quality high speed cable. i'm going to try that. have you tried a different cable ?
I've sold the T6 now but I think the connection did improve with a different cable. I rarely plugged it in to be honest because I still used to mount my phone on an air vent holder, so just used the phone (for nav / music) and the Bluetooth for phone calls. Now I'm back in a T5 with just a Bluetooth connection and use it just the same.

Last edited:
MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We have found that in V's car the steory on Apple carplay works seamlessly but the same stereo on android (mirrorlink or android auto) is for some reason flaky and unreliable. I upgraded my phone recently and gave her my old iphone 6, her stereo is much better to use on apple for some reason.

andyinluton

andyinluton

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can I throw in the electric sliding door into this pot?

Nipping out to the loo is a nightmare at 2am with the door beeping away each time its opened and closed. Amazing how loud it sounds at the dead of nightI. had to set it to manual each time and use every ounce of my strength to then pull / push the ruddy thing open.
a poke with a screwdriver through beeper cures that

andyinluton

andyinluton

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
It was a serious suggestion - do a search on old posts. It was discussed at length when the electric door first came out as an option.

JAPRACER

JAPRACER

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have found the ladder from the shop a waste of money, after using it a few times I haven’t since.
Ok for people with kids or a bit stiff on moving about, wish I had not bought it.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have found the ladder from the shop a waste of money, after using it a few times I haven’t since.
Ok for people with kids or a bit stiff on moving about, wish I had not bought it.
Brilliant for people who need to get up quick in the night for a wee, especially if you’ve woken up desperate!

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My nomination for the - Waste of money award, is the Voice Command function. I've had that on at least half a dozen cars that I've owned. None of them ever worked satisfactorily. There may be a knack to using it. If that's the case then I haven't got it. Reading the hand book might help but frankly life is too short and anyway I don't need any help getting to sleep.

Last edited:
Sunstoner

Sunstoner

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
It was a serious suggestion - do a search on old posts. It was discussed at length when the electric door first came out as an option.
Cheers for that. I'll check that out. :thumb Its just a shame you cant switch it off manually rather than give it a good poke.

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Ladder is one of those accessories that you either need, in which case you'll swear by it, or you just don't, in which case a waste of money/space. Bladder notwithstanding.
We use the ladder a lot. Avoids possible damage to heated seats & armrests; Also handy for roof loads.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
That's hysterical. But maybe you can use the box for something... like making up a first aid kit? Just add pair of rubber gloves and a strip of paracetamol?

You made my evening, ROFL. :cheers

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Deluxe first aid kit - bought at a Greek service station. The box was sealed so that I couldn't examine contents... I wonder why?

View attachment 54223

Contents - an alcohol swab, a single plaster and a pack of tissues.
I wish I had a pic but way before digital technology.

Karakorum, anglo attempt on one or two of the worlds highest mountains.

Our hallowed leader stopped off to make final purchases. The team doctor doing all he could for anglo-pakistani relationships bought half the worlds supply of immediate-aid medical kits.

WW2 vintage, left behind during some obscure battle, mostly related to treating tropical insect bites ... frigging tropical anti-malarial creams ever so bloody useful above 7000m :shocked