Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessories that are a waste of money

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
What’s the point of cup holders anyway? Are they designed to be used while you are driving? Doesn’t seem very sensible. In my view they should only be used when stationary, so why not provide a nice flat surface to put your mug on instead of inserting it in something resembling a mousetrap? And why isn’t the top of the dash flat so that can be used?
Seriously...???
I use my cupboard holders all the time when driving. Can’t see how sitting on the motorway taking a sip of coffee is anymore dangerous than blinking.

RoB5urf

RoB5urf

Beach with 2-seat bench
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Seriously...???
I use my cupboard holders all the time when driving. Can’t see how sitting on the motorway taking a sip of coffee is anymore dangerous than blinking.
Probably not, but I wouldn't do it in view of a police officer. I don't think it's illegal but you could still end up with a fine / points.

A remember reading about a woman being fined for eating a banana while stationary.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Seriously...???
You could say that about using a mobile phone, which doesn't have the risk of spilling hot liquid all over your lap. And I can't even get the cup in the holder without spilling it when stationary! ;)

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
What’s the point of cup holders anyway? Are they designed to be used while you are driving? Doesn’t seem very sensible. In my view they should only be used when stationary, so why not provide a nice flat surface to put your mug on instead of inserting it in something resembling a mousetrap? And why isn’t the top of the dash flat so that can be used?
Yes of course, they are designed to use while driving. That mightn't be ideal road safety practice and I wouldn't defend it. But I'll put my hand up and admit I sometimes drink coffee or more often a bottle of water while I'm driving, usually on the motorway on a long trip. And I'd place a small bet that 75% of people do it.

So for the 'fallen angels' like me it's important to have somewhere secure to put the cup close to hand, that you can pick up and put down with minimum distraction and keep adequate vehicle control. The T5 spring-loaded cup holders are utterly useless as they are, which is why we pop in a couple of wooden disks to keep them open on a trip. Jam jar lids would also do it.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I confess that I am also a fallen angel and guilty of taking many sips from a water bottle whilst on the move.

I found the "cup" holders in the T5 excellent for holding a 500ml bottle of water. The ones in the T6, the ones that cannot be opened if the passenger seat is pushed forward, are flatter but still hold my water bottle securely.

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
You could say that about using a mobile phone, which doesn't have the risk of spilling hot liquid all over your lap. And I can't even get the cup in the holder without spilling it when stationary! ;)
Does take a bit of practice :D

“Cupboard holders” ....???
I did mean cup holders. Not sure why I said cupboard. Perhaps predictive text error :headbang

L

Lott

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Ms Amarillo

Ms Amarillo

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I bought the washing line which connects into the rail some years back from the club shop.
Totally useless, probably used it once...
Your washing line sounds good. We had one stolen, left it hanging up one day with no clothes on and somebody thought it was fair game. The next line got left behind in a rush to leave with rainy weather ...

Emma Hughes

Emma Hughes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I bought the washing line which connects into the rail some years back from the club shop.
Totally useless, probably used it once...
Why is this so useless? Thinking of buying one after running out of drying space on the bike rack repeatedly!

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I bought the washing line connector to the top rail and used it on our recent trip, I attached it to c.f. club plug in post, I thought I would be in bother....
Really pleased with it as everything dried quickly on it with a light breeze.
Later in the trip when there was nothing to tie the line to I discovered that I could open the boot and tie my line onto the 2 rubber stops inside the tailgate. Perfect to dry 3 towels after our showers. I wish I'd taken a photo now...

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I bought the washing line connector to the top rail and used it on our recent trip, I attached it to c.f. club plug in post, I thought I would be in bother....
Really pleased with it as everything dried quickly on it with a light breeze.
Later in the trip when there was nothing to tie the line to I discovered that I could open the boot and tie my line onto the 2 rubber stops inside the tailgate. Perfect to dry 3 towels after our showers. I wish I'd taken a photo now...
I made up a bungee cord with hooks the right length to go from the top of one gas strut to the other, via the tailgate pull 'loop' handle. Works very well for drying the towels while having breakfast.

H

H Marriage

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We have been using the washing line that attaches onto the California’s rail (from the club shop) every day for the past eight months on our trip around Europe - we use it to dry the towels after showering. It’s been invaluable. You just have to remember to keep the van reasonably clean on the outside. Would definitely recommend it though.

Sunstoner

Sunstoner

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Next waste of money in our van - Dynaudio. Maybe it’s my ears, but I honestly cannot hear any improvement over the RNS510 that was fitted in our previous van. It’s louder without distortion, but the other one was plenty loud enough. And we’ve lost the handy shelf on the dashboard.

Had I specced the van myself that money would have gone towards 4motion. The wheels would have paid for the rest!

Having said that, the discount we got off our van still made it worth the useless extras that were fitted.
:D Dynaudio was one of the key options I wanted (err needed) after having had in Cali on hire with it.

It was only after heading off for a drive on my lonesome did I crank up the volume (quite unaware at the time of what Dynaudio could do) did I start to hear the clarity and multi levels in the music that I was listening to. It was like going from standard def tele to 4k but for the ears. I ended up doubling my trip home purely so that I could I listen to my fav tracks. Low volume simply doesnt do it justice. Music has been a constant since I was a youngun so it was quite the boon to listen to it in a van at a pretty decent quality level.

It def gets my vote :thumb

ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Almost everything bought has proved pretty useful, but that's only because I read up on this forum before buying.

Roof topper has proved a bit of a waste of money for us. I hadn't taken on board how effective the auxiliary heater is, and with a good goose-down duvet we've not really found the need for the topper even in a (British) winter. (But if I was going to the Alps or to Scandi in the winter then I'd certainly pack the topper.)

Don't-leave-home-without accessories for us have proved to be:
- Lightweight (cheapo) internal windscreen blind - instead of the rubbish cloth VW one.
- Pair of levelling ramps. Use them more often than I expected.
- Two little wooden discs that drop into the T5 cup-holders to hold the spring-arms open so you can actually get a cup in with one hand!
- Outwell collapsible kettle. So dinky, but also practical.
- Neoprene multi-pocket wine bottle sleeves.
- Calitop kitchen shelf. We find it really useful in the evenings when the worktop is chock full of stuff.
- Woven Welsh wool floor rug (made to fit). Looks couth but easy to shake off dried mud and crud.
- Inka seat covers. Antithesis of the 'executive' look, but we like the practicality and they're decent value.
- Short strap that clips to dog harness and plugs into the bench seat belt socket.
- Really nice thick (Icelandic) wool blanket for the bench.
- Large dry-bag for stashing and compressing down duvet.
- Small bluetooth speaker. Just upgraded from crappy LS Hive to UE Boom 2.
- Bunch of 'spring coiled' USB charging cables, to avoid wires hanging everywhere.
- Cobb cooker. Love this, wouldn't be without for summer camping.
- Aeropress coffee maker. Already used one at home so not really a 'Cali discovery'.
- A bunch of plastic 'tupperware' style boxes that actually fit neatly on the various rear corner cupboard. shelves. Couldn't tell you the makes, I just trawled round hardware shops with a tape measure until I found ones that are just right.
- Thetford 335 porta-potti. Works for us - enough said.
Two little wooden discs that drop into the T5 cup-holders to hold the spring-arms open so you can actually get a cup in with one hand!

Would love to see how this works. Got any photos?

Sunstoner

Sunstoner

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Can I throw in the electric sliding door into this pot?

Nipping out to the loo is a nightmare at 2am with the door beeping away each time its opened and closed. Amazing how loud it sounds at the dead of nightI. had to set it to manual each time and use every ounce of my strength to then pull / push the ruddy thing open.