Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessory to make awning more aerodynamic?

Rhyddin

Rhyddin

A T6 Beach, named Dory
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi,

Awaiting my first Cali (a T6 Beach) and have been reading that some people find the noise from the awning on the motorway is irritating, what with it having the aerodynamic qualities of a brick, presumably. I will be using mine every day, including plenty of motorway driving, so wondered:

1. Do you find the wind noise annoying?

2. Is there a screw in accessory that goes to the right of the awning (front of the vehicle) that could make it more aerodynamic at speed, like the wind deflectors that lorry cabs often have on their roof to diffuse the air hitting the trailer's flat edge?

Just wondered? If not, might look at how to create one!

Last edited:
Can't say i've heard it (over the noise of the wine bottles)

On the subject of awnings I am presuming that if you opt not to spec one on your options it is a just a simple case of ordering one if you change your mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the subject of awnings I am presuming that if you opt not to spec one on your options it is a just a simple case of ordering one if you change your mind?

I believe so. There's plenty available retrospectively from third parties and VW would be able to get you one in, I'm sure.

I believe so. There's plenty available retrospectively from third parties and VW would be able to get you one in, I'm sure.
Thanks. Might not spec one then and get one if required. I can't see many occasions when I would want the shade and less weight has got to be good. And the cost of course!

Thanks. Might not spec one then and get one if required. I can't see many occasions when I would want the shade and less weight has got to be good. And the cost of course!

I can see the logic.

I suppose, for me anyway, the awning feels like it is as much a part of the California as the raising roof. Don't get me wrong, mine hasn't even arrived yet, and I might not use either all that often, but I definitely want to have the choice at every occasion.

That's the beauty of the California and its many options and accessories: we all get to create our perfect, personalised toy!

Easy enough to prove.
Get a lump of plasticine and mould a nice rounded nose onto the fwd face of the awning. May as well do a nice tail pice while you're at it to reduce drag.

Once done, test it for noise on the motorway. On/off. Any difference?

If it's a step forward then use the mould to knock up a fibreglass piece.

Done.

I thought the awning was cheaper to buy at the time of order vs. buying later. Someone will confirm if I dreamt that....

I just turn the stereo up life is to short to worry about things like the aerodynamics of my awning.i also think it really odd people constantly going on about mpg. Who cares if you are getting 35 or 50mpg. Get out there and drive it

Easy enough to prove.
Get a lump of plasticine and mould a nice rounded nose onto the fwd face of the awning. May as well do a nice tail pice while you're at it to reduce drag.

Once done, test it for noise on the motorway. On/off. Any difference?

If it's a step forward then use the mould to knock up a fibreglass piece.

Done.
That's what I was thinking, if I decide the noise is a problem when the Cali arrives.

I mocked up a paper version just now, below. Allows for access from below to get it as close to the awning as possible. A reversed version could go at the back for drag reduction.

The wait for my van is clearly going to be painful if I'm already designing accessories to solve problems I'm not even sure exist! :talktothehand Roll on week 14!!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I just turn the stereo up life is to short to worry about things like the aerodynamics of my awning.i also think it really odd people constantly going on about mpg. Who cares if you are getting 35 or 50mpg. Get out there and drive it
Pump up the volume!
When we bought our first car a second hand nissan 200sx it had louvres on the back window. When we drove off they rattled like mad so we went back to get them to tighten them. Their comment was turn the music up!
Eventually they came very loose and we had to pull them off and leave them at the side of the turnpike as we couldn't fit them in the car!!

Last edited:
Can't say that I've been aware of noise from the awning.
If you have high perceptive hearing there are far more potentially irritating noises coming from the Cali to annoy you.

I hear lots of strange noise coming from the awning while driving .
Solved it by rolling it in before driving off.:D
Think those who hear noise from the awning got something wrong , think the most hear nothing at all.
Aerodinamica and fuellsaving maybe the thing.

In my experience the noise from the awing on the road is not the wind noise but the legs rattling inside the case....or is that the wine bottles again?

Alan

IMG_3457.jpg
We get lots of use out of our awning, keeps the weather away from the van if it's drizzly or raining. We also use side panels to make a proper awning if the trip warrants it so we can have a table + storage setup in there and also a popaloo. You can hang clothes or towels to air or dry under it too. The only time we don't really use it is if it is too windy. I also think it is more expensive to order as an aftermarket product.

View attachment 11712
We get lots of use out of our awning, keeps the weather away from the van if it's drizzly or raining. We also use side panels to make a proper awning if the trip warrants it so we can have a table + storage setup in there and also a popaloo. You can hang clothes or towels to air or dry under it too. The only time we don't really use it is if it is too windy. I also think it is more expensive to order as an aftermarket product.
Nice sides, are theynthe Flammia ones?

I wasn't sure how often I would use the awning initially but ordered it as it seemed like part of the Cali to me, rather than an add-on. However, after finally getting around to winding it out on my second trip, it has been out every time since. I have a Quechua Base Seconds as a freestanding awning and I use the roll-out to connect this to the Cali, giving me a sheltered area and a dry patch of ground to step out onto after rain.

If you do not spec one on your order and you buy one at a later date do not go to VW for one, I was informed by a dealer that a dealership retro fit is twice the cost of a factory fit awning. I found this out when looking at a van the dealer had taken delivery of w/o awning (the customer couldn't fulfill the order due to a change in circumstance) and the cost of adding one by the dealer was approx double factory option cost.

Hi,

Awaiting my first Cali (a T6 Beach) and have been reading that some people find the noise from the awning on the motorway is irritating, what with it having the aerodynamic qualities of a brick, presumably. I will be using mine every day, including plenty of motorway driving, so wondered:

1. Do you find the wind noise annoying?

2. Is there a screw in accessory that goes to the right of the awning (front of the vehicle) that could make it more aerodynamic at speed, like the wind deflectors that lorry cabs often have on their roof to diffuse the air hitting the trailer's flat edge?

Just wondered? If not, might look at how to create one!
Not noticed the wind noise from the awning at all!
I ordered because it's handy to have, cheaper to buy at the point of order (not like some options) and is good for resale.

Back