Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Accessory to make awning more aerodynamic?

I use mine, when it's not too windy, to put things into whilst I'm reorganising the downstairs into night time mode. I've not heard any noise at all from the closed case whilst on Motorways. Tyre noise from the All Season tyres, yes.
If you use VW to fit it, I think it is cheaper to do it whilst they are doing other jobs on the vehicle, doing it by itself would probably cost more as they will have to set it all up just for that.
An extra point is that the VW one has no markings on it, so when you come to buy some storm lashings for it the average camper van shop isn't sure which type to sell you. Fiamma do 2 types, one goes over the metal bars which will, hopefully, still fit with the Comfortz awning sides.
The other may fit in the groove on the outside of the awning which looks like a Kador one, but the supplier would not guarantee it would work. VW, apparently, only use large tent pegs through holes in the feet.

I can't imagine that adding a more aerodynamic shaped lump to the front of the awning will make the tiniest bit of difference. It is after all bolted onto a bloomin' great van! If you do add a pointy bit on the front, beware you don't get pulled over and inspected for warheads... :cool:

We did a banger rally years ago - you know the thing, spend no more than £250, dress it up and then drive it to Turin, whilst recreating scenes from the Italian Job. Well, we got caught at the border into Switzerland behind an Audi done up as the Millenium Falcon out of Star Wars. We were there for two hours as the guards took great offence to the installation of gigantic photon torpedoes on the roof.

:cool:

I have not noticed any excessive wind noise for the awning. Most noise comes from poor quality Tarmac.
My experience was my dealer put me off ordering extras (because I could get them later or cheaper from 3rd parties) at the time. However I later discovered that when ordering the van the prices are inclusive of fitting, as soon as you have taken delivery they seem to then add on the labour. I now understand why I was put off ordering extras.

Not really an issue with the awning though as its very easy :)

View attachment 11712
We get lots of use out of our awning, keeps the weather away from the van if it's drizzly or raining. We also use side panels to make a proper awning if the trip warrants it so we can have a table + storage setup in there and also a popaloo. You can hang clothes or towels to air or dry under it too. The only time we don't really use it is if it is too windy. I also think it is more expensive to order as an aftermarket product.
Van looks good

I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of a wind out awning. My logic at the moment is use the money to buy a drive away awning. I'm anticipating most of my nights away in the van will be at official campsites where I'll have a hook up and access to showers and toilets. The drive away awning will be great for keeping my space in the campsite when I nip out with the van for a pizza or something.on the other hand it may be handy to have the roll out one for a quick overnighter.

I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of a wind out awning. My logic at the moment is use the money to buy a drive away awning. I'm anticipating most of my nights away in the van will be at official campsites where I'll have a hook up and access to showers and toilets. The drive away awning will be great for keeping my space in the campsite when I nip out with the van for a pizza or something.on the other hand it may be handy to have the roll out one for a quick overnighter.
One is quick, easy and convenient, the other is, well, none of those.

Plus, and this will be important for our use of the California, is that the wind out awning is not just for overnight stops. What if you're out for the day and, while you eat your lunch, just fancy some shelter from the rain (or sun, he types, optimistically), or you're watching an event where you can park nearby and just want some shelter (car racing)? I think there's lots more potential. Of course, you could pitch a gazebo or drive away awning without the sides but I suspect most wouldn't bother.

Good points guys. Food for thought I may add it to my options.

However coming from north of the border, when the sun does eventually come out I usually like to make the most if it rather than hiding under a shade.

I've gone for a Vango Kela for longer stops / bad weather and a Funky Leisure Canopy for shorter ones / good weather - £70 so if it ends up going in the bin I haven't wasted much and not got the expense or drag of the roll out awning. It can also be used as a stand alone item (e.g. give somewhere to BBQ). I went for the Kela as wanted the ability to leave stuff in it (dog crates particularly) if I wanted to go out for the day and somewhere for wet dirty dogs to dry out before being allowed in to sleep on other occasions - particularly at agility comps which are usually in wet muddy fields up here. Also weather in Scotland often comes with horizontal rain and wasn't sure the roll out awning would be the best option for me. The airbeam technology means I should be able to erect the awning on my own which was a huge selling point. My personal choice based on how I expect to be using the van.

Sounds like a smart way to go Alison. I was looking at the Idris or the Kela. The air beam awnings look easy to assemble. The FL canopy looks a nice cheap and cheerful option too. Thanks for the ideas.

You don't have to have a driveway awning, can make the Cali dark and tunnel like. We have swapped from a Khyam quick erect awning to a Quechua pop up tent. A lot easier to set up even for overnighters and you can bring the awning out to meet it or pitch it right next to the sliding door. Cheaper too. There are quite a lot of photos and comments re the Quechua Base Seconds if you use the search function.

That's what I was thinking, if I decisplitteroise is a problemdeadening Cali arrives.

I mocked up a paper version just now, below. Allows for access from below to get it as close to the awning as possible. A reversed version could go at the back for drag reduction.

The wait for my van is clearly going to be painful if I'm already designing accessories to solve problems I'm not even sure exist! :talktothehand Roll on week 14!!

View attachment 11701
Well you could take the rear view mirrors off, tape up all the panel seams, fit a front splitter, acoustic deadening, lower rolling resistance tyres, fit a quieter exhaust or on the other hand just go out and enjoy it. If you want something quiet buy a ZF Jag :)

Despite having the Cali a few years, I'm only just getting to use it and the awning a bit more. The awning and the Comfortz side panels give you a quick simple shelter to put everything in overnight, especially the Porta Potti! I've also got the Kango Vela and look forward to using that when I stop for a few nights but it hasn't happened yet.

You can also install LED lighting in the awning and it makes a great outdoor space. Have a search on here for pictures.PC180273.JPG

That's what I was thinking, if I decide the noise is a problem when the Cali arrives.

I mocked up a paper version just now, below. Allows for access from below to get it as close to the awning as possible. A reversed version could go at the back for drag reduction.

The wait for my van is clearly going to be painful if I'm already designing accessories to solve problems I'm not even sure exist! :talktothehand Roll on week 14!!

View attachment 11701
Hi rhyddin, think this design should make the awning more aerodynamic. Might also make people move out of your way too!
36fbacdcca6f5cc963de3f247114dd74.jpg

I've gone for a Vango Kela for longer stops / bad weather and a Funky Leisure Canopy for shorter ones / good weather - £70 so if it ends up going in the bin I haven't wasted much and not got the expense or drag of the roll out awning. It can also be used as a stand alone item (e.g. give somewhere to BBQ). I went for the Kela as wanted the ability to leave stuff in it (dog crates particularly) if I wanted to go out for the day and somewhere for wet dirty dogs to dry out before being allowed in to sleep on other occasions - particularly at agility comps which are usually in wet muddy fields up here. Also weather in Scotland often comes with horizontal rain and wasn't sure the roll out awning would be the best option for me. The airbeam technology means I should be able to erect the awning on my own which was a huge selling point. My personal choice based on how I expect to be using the van.
Just about to buy a Kela 3 too, where is best priced? I see world of camping is out of stock which is unfortunate due to the VIP discount.

Most aerodynamic place is probably inside the van hehe ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 11712
We get lots of use out of our awning, keeps the weather away from the van if it's drizzly or raining. We also use side panels to make a proper awning if the trip warrants it so we can have a table + storage setup in there and also a popaloo. You can hang clothes or towels to air or dry under it too. The only time we don't really use it is if it is too windy. I also think it is more expensive to order as an aftermarket product.

Hi Larrylamb, The sides for the VW pop out awning (in the pic) look very good. Can you tell me which sort/brand/make those are please? We are also taking delivery of our first Cali in the summer and weighing up all the awning options! Thanks Ian

Hi Larrylamb, The sides for the VW pop out awning (in the pic) look very good. Can you tell me which sort/brand/make those are please? We are also taking delivery of our first Cali in the summer and weighing up all the awning options! Thanks Ian
Made by Comfortz Leisure. Very good quality.

Back