Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adblue refill

I shall go by this.
a3dec0819c798d28016f7b5a2f29a03e.jpg

If it’s gone off, then unless it’s gone lumpy, isn’t emitting more NOx the only downside?

I can see this being a ongoing problem for low milage vehicles using Adblue and probably an expensive fix.

I just looked in my garage.....I have about 2 litres of Adblue remaining from a 10 litre original translucent container. The Adblue is clear. No crystals. No lumps. No direct sunlight since I bought it and I estimate the max garage temp is about 16 degrees.
The date on the container is 06/06/2017.
That means the Adblue is over three years old but not over 4 years old (Skoda Karoq 1.6TDI Owners Manual stated max age of use - see post 17 above.
Should I use or bin?
(BTW I think crystals only form when the Adblue is in very high concentrate as a result of evaporation. You can see this very often around lorry fill tank caps.)

I just looked in my garage.....I have about 2 litres of Adblue remaining from a 10 litre original translucent container. The Adblue is clear. No crystals. No lumps. No direct sunlight since I bought it and I estimate the max garage temp is about 16 degrees.
The date on the container is 06/06/2017.
That means the Adblue is over three years old but not over 4 years old (Skoda Karoq 1.6TDI Owners Manual stated max age of use - see post 17 above.
Should I use or bin?
(BTW I think crystals only form when the Adblue is in very high concentrate as a result of evaporation. You can see this very often around lorry fill tank caps.)
Does the Handbook have any information regarding using Adblue beyond its Best Before date?

Does the Handbook have any information regarding using Adblue beyond its Best Before date?
All I can find is this
All I can find is this which to me feels like a cop out by VW. It is not clear if the 06/06/2017 date on my container is a batch date or a use by date and in any event what is meant by use by date? The date one tops up the van or the date when the Adblue is all used. All rather vague to me.

BE428DBA-CD96-4C59-952D-755425D38315.jpeg

Good ADBLUE deal on EBAY, this supplier has various quantities and short term deals to suit your rate of consumption.

NOTE! you will need to decant it into a can which has a filling spout as these are purely cans/containers.

I have a feeling that the best deals are to be had just by using the "pumped" Adblu appearing at more and more filling stations these days. I paid £0.99/L for 10 litres at a local station near me the other day. Really easy. Just like filling up with fuel. Insert nozzle, pull trigger and wait for the first auto click (do not brim). Remove nozzle, replace nozzle in pump and go and pay the cashier. This is the location of the pump I use. BP - Gailey Filling Station at ST19 5PR on the A5.

Last edited:
Good ADBLUE deal on EBAY, this supplier has various quantities and short term deals to suit your rate of consumption.

NOTE! you will need to decant it into a can which has a filling spout as these are purely cans/containers.

I believe AdBlue has a relatively short shelf life so maybe not a good idea to buy large quantities? Obviously depends on the mileage one does.

Have a read

You have to question the VW logic of increasing the size of the tank on RDE2 engines to 25L don't you? I have 5500 miles covered in 13 months and the display still tells me that I have 12500 miles of Adblue left - Can see it causing issues if it crystallises in the tank :(

According to the Skoda Karoq 1.6TDI Owners Manual it states the max age of use to be 4 years.
I also own a Karoq 1.6 TDi when I get an AdBlue warning I just put in the minimum about shown on the display as the AdBlue lasts quite a long time.

I firmly sit in the "it's really no hassle" camp.

If I'm about 1,500 miles since last putting anything in, then I will stop at a pump if I'm passing one.

Otherwise wait until the warning comes on for 2.25 gallons needed and pop the contents of a 10l container into it.

Anyone remember the Diesel scandal? .... well it was all about AdBlue.

When the legislation came in requiring selective catalytic reduction (SCR) catalysts to reduce (Nitrous Oxide) NOx emissions using AdBlue, the components needed to be fitted to vehicle platforms that were never designed to have them ... this lead to a headache for the vehicle manufacturers.

Packaging an AdBlue tank and dosing system had never been part of the design brief for older vehicle platforms so the manufacturers started looking for places they could put the tanks, and they also needed access to them to refill. Some vehicles ended up with fillers in very obscure places like in the boot under the carpet.

Then came the discussion of buyers attitude to filling AdBlue - it's a urea solution, very similar to pi$$, and some managers in the automotive OEMs balked at the thought of customers being forced to pour a urea solution into a filler inside the car somewhere - with the possibility of spilling in on the upholstery and carpets. They thought it ought to be a service-only item - but service intervals were getting longer and longer.

So you end up with an undersized tank due to space, poor access as it was an afterthought in the design, and an OEM that doesn't want customers spilling urea in their car interiors. The only way out was to ensure that one tank lasted between services, and the only way to do that, and get through the emissions tests, was to use less AdBlue during normal driving, making the tank last longer so it could be filled by technicians as part of a service. To do this they installed a piece of software that recognised an emissions cycle and dosed the car accordingly, the rest of the time it used less AdBlue and created more NOx.

The rest is history as they say.

Filling AdBlue is still seen as a "dirty" job so even though they are properly packaged in more recent vehicles, with better filler access outside the vehicle, the tanks are still large so AdBlue could still be a service item.

The real problem with AdBlue from a user perspective is that when you run out, your engine wont start (the rules) - just like running out of Diesel.

Anyone remember the Diesel scandal? .... well it was all about AdBlue.

When the legislation came in requiring selective catalytic reduction (SCR) catalysts to reduce (Nitrous Oxide) NOx emissions using AdBlue, the components needed to be fitted to vehicle platforms that were never designed to have them ... this lead to a headache for the vehicle manufacturers.

Packaging an AdBlue tank and dosing system had never been part of the design brief for older vehicle platforms so the manufacturers started looking for places they could put the tanks, and they also needed access to them to refill. Some vehicles ended up with fillers in very obscure places like in the boot under the carpet.

Then came the discussion of buyers attitude to filling AdBlue - it's a urea solution, very similar to pi$$, and some managers in the automotive OEMs balked at the thought of customers being forced to pour a urea solution into a filler inside the car somewhere - with the possibility of spilling in on the upholstery and carpets. They thought it ought to be a service-only item - but service intervals were getting longer and longer.

So you end up with an undersized tank due to space, poor access as it was an afterthought in the design, and an OEM that doesn't want customers spilling urea in their car interiors. The only way out was to ensure that one tank lasted between services, and the only way to do that, and get through the emissions tests, was to use less AdBlue during normal driving, making the tank last longer so it could be filled by technicians as part of a service. To do this they installed a piece of software that recognised an emissions cycle and dosed the car accordingly, the rest of the time it used less AdBlue and created more NOx.

The rest is history as they say.

Filling AdBlue is still seen as a "dirty" job so even though they are properly packaged in more recent vehicles, with better filler access outside the vehicle, the tanks are still large so AdBlue could still be a service item.

The real problem with AdBlue from a user perspective is that when you run out, your engine wont start (the rules) - just like running out of Diesel.
One temporary emergency roadside top-up process springs to mind, solves two problems in one go ..... :Iamsorry As I get older, I find I'm topping up more frequently, too ...

I believe AdBlue has a relatively short shelf life so maybe not a good idea to buy large quantities? Obviously depends on the mileage one does.
Minimum of one year but mainly relates to storage location.

Personally wouldn't buy more than a 6 month suppl;y for both storage space and the lifespan.

Minimum of one year but mainly relates to storage location.

Personally wouldn't buy more than a 6 month suppl;y for both storage space and the lifespan.

For canisters, put it in the van as soon as you buy it, or fill from a pump on a forecourt - with a forecourt it is (usually) not contaminated and almost certainly under a few months old.

My T6.1 204hp 4motion from 2022 has done almost 10.000km yet the Adblue display still shows a range of 30.500km left. Is this accurate? Is Adblue consumption so low on the newer models, or is it because the size of the tank got much bigger. Or maybe my excellent driving skills that doesn't require so much Adblue :p

Wondering if I should refill now because we got a big trip ahead and don't wanna be searching for Adblue in the middle of the Balkans.

Adblue is to help despot the emission system and not directly related to driving style other than many short runs or heavy right foot.
Looks like a faulty indication, either a VW check or go to a filling station pump for a fill to see how much goes in before cut off.

Back