Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding a 12v port california coast 6.1 july 2021

Trudi

Trudi

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I want to add a 12v socket that is powered by the leisure batteries.

Ideally I'd like it at the end of the kitchen somewhere. So I thought the easiest place would be under the passenger seat, by the leisure battery, in the indented section.

But does anyone know if I can wire it into an existing 12v wire there or if there's a spare place on that leisure battery I can add it to?

I'd like a permanent solution instead of trailing wires across the van.

20220210_154612.jpg

I'm no expert but I'm looking to do something similar myself.
My thoughts are to come off the leisure batteries into a new fuse box so anything that is added has it's own fuse and isn't directly linked into an existing circuit.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can offer advice..?

Out of interest (me being nosy) what is it that you need to power? Just curious if there might be an easier alternative that might alleviate the need to drill into the plastic of your lovely van?

Buy a 12v marine socket off Amazon with a in line fuse, drill small hole in the plastic panel and connect to the leisure battery. You don’t even need to drill a hole in the trim, you could just use something like this instead but with a shorter cable (but use a 10amp fuse), and then just tuck it under the seat when not required.

CF53B31B-57F8-4DD6-953F-C619C46399E3.png

As far as the connection point to the battery is concerned, someone will chip in with a reply. Ocean wiring is a bit different to my simple Beach! so think you need to ensure that the connection is in the right place on the terminal to avoid confusing the VW battery monitor.

Out of interest (me being nosy) what is it that you need to power? Just curious if there might be an easier alternative that might alleviate the need to drill into the plastic of your lovely van?
Weve a few things. I have some lights that require 12v, not usb, tv , hairdryer (I know.... but needed with long hair )
I could use the 1 under the rear seat but that means wires trailing across the floor. I could also buy different lights but they were expensive.
I just think it would be handy to have 1. The older vans do.

Buy a 12v marine socket off Amazon with a in line fuse, drill small hole in the plastic panel and connect to the leisure battery. You don’t even need to drill a hole in the trim, you could just use something like this instead but with a shorter cable (but use a 10amp fuse), and then just tuck it under the seat when not required.

View attachment 89129

As far as the connection point to the battery is concerned, someone will chip in with a reply. Ocean wiring is a bit different to my simple Beach! so think you need to ensure that the connection is in the right place on the terminal to avoid confusing the VW battery monitor.
That looks good. Hate the thought of drilling the van.
Yes hopefully someone will know exactly which bit of the battery to connect to.

I want to add a 12v socket that is powered by the leisure batteries.

Ideally I'd like it at the end of the kitchen somewhere. So I thought the easiest place would be under the passenger seat, by the leisure battery, in the indented section.

But does anyone know if I can wire it into an existing 12v wire there or if there's a spare place on that leisure battery I can add it to?

I'd like a permanent solution instead of trailing wires across the van.

View attachment 89123
Just to confirm, the Coast doesn't have the 12v socket next to the Mains socket on the end of the kitchen unit behind the passenger seat.

Just to confirm, the Coast doesn't have the 12v socket next to the Mains socket on the end of the kitchen unit behind the passenger seat.
No. Neither does the new ocean. They've replaced it with 2 usbs

No. Neither does the new ocean. They've replaced it with 2 usbs
Ah, I see.
You could replace that socket with a 12 v socket from the T6.
Does it still have the 12v socket in the cupholder by the rear of the sliding door?

Ah, I see.
You could replace that socket with a 12 v socket from the T6.
Does it still have the 12v socket in the cupholder by the rear of the sliding door?
Yes that's still there.
To be honest I use the USBs to charge things when not driving so didn't really want to loose those.
Would just be so useful to have a 12v there too.
Hate having wires trailing around. It's quite a way from the 12v under the bench seat to the kitchen end. I know ill trip up . I don't want the TV plugged in permanently so would have to lift the carpet every time.
I thought it would be the easiest answer but it appears not

Yes that's still there.
To be honest I use the USBs to charge things when not driving so didn't really want to loose those.
Would just be so useful to have a 12v there too.
Hate having wires trailing around. It's quite a way from the 12v under the bench seat to the kitchen end. I know ill trip up . I don't want the TV plugged

in permanently so would have to lift the carpet every time.
I thought it would be the easiest answer but it appears not
It is. Use the item posted above , but change the fuse to 15 amps and attach to the Leisure battery under front passenger seat. Then you can plug a 12v multi socket extension into it and velcro it wherever you want.
Wire the above item to the red pole of the leisure battery and black to the black pole on the same battery. Then plug this into the socket.
Screenshot_20220211-094246_Amazon Shopping.jpg

It is. Use the item posted above , but change the fuse to 15 amps and attach to the Leisure battery under front passenger seat. Then you can plug a 12v multi socket extension into it and velcro it wherever you want.
Wire the above item to the red pole of the leisure battery and black to the black pole on the same battery. Then plug this into the socket.
View attachment 89131
Thank you.

I knew if anyone would know it would be you. You are a legend.

Will let you know how I get on

Back