Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional front seat back pockets

barry

barry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I'm thinking of buying a couple of Brandrup pockets for the backs of the two front seats. I wonder if anyone could give me some feedback on them? And maybe where I could get a good / the best price and quick delivery? I think the local van centre does about 5-10% off ...

I have a 57 plate 4Motion and I think the front seats of newer (faceift) Calis have backs that are a couple of centimeters narrower than the oldies and I wonder if this has implications for whether 'new' Brandrup pockets will fit pre-facelift models? Any ideas?

I read a fairly uncomplimentary review of these pockets from a (single) disgruntled purchaser a year ago but can't seem to raise it just now which is a nuisance. Anyone know it? I think there was a moan about the quality.

I'd also be keen to know if there are alternatives and if anyone has used them?

We've just returned from a few weeks in the Outer Hebrides and finally realised that we can't put everything we use on a day to day basis in the two fitted front seat back pockets (well, we CAN but we can't find them when we want them).

I've looked at some Brandrup stuff recently and although you can buy from a place in Germany (I think the link is in here somewhere) unless you spend big (£400-£500) I'm not sure the saving is enough to cover the shipping etc, although the Euro is getting stronger by the day.

I was going to buy the Mattress Topper from SMG who support us here but logistics meant I couldn't get to them last Saturday to pick it up so have now opted for the 'dogbed' one, but Steve at SMG offered a good price to VIP members.

Hi Barry, I have the pockets on the back of the drivers seat and as with all Brandrup accessories they are very good quality and they fit nice and tight to the seat unlike the universal ones , also it is amazing how much you can cram in all those pockets, As stu says you can purchase them from SMG and you get a 10% discount for VIP members and they will also deliver them to you by courier, I think I saved around £12

While I think the Brandrup stuff looks the part, is high quality and is the neatest solution, I bought seat back organisers similar to Seb. £5 from Asda I think. More practical for messy kids with lots of 'stuff'.

Here are a few pics to help you make up your mind, also if you don't like them a second hand set sold on ebay last week for £130 so you would be in profit !!

P1040014.JPG P1040012.JPG P1040013.JPG P1040016.JPG P1040017.JPG

Thanks for the fitting pictures, Martin. It looks like it wouldn't matter whether they were fitted to the older slightly wider seats or newer slightly narrower seats, too. It also seems that acces to the single pocket built into the seats is easy which is good.

All these posts have been helpful, thanks folks.

I too rather like the look of Martin's plain grey back pocket to his driver's seat.
Is this is what is referred to as "Leather Classic Grey" in the catalogue?
ie part no.100 706 723 UTILITY for cabin seats, right side VW T5 California
Does it mean leather or leather look?
The latter I expect.

What's the price with VAT before any discount: I'm finding it very difficult to get a UK price off the web - or I'm being particularly stupid today ...

yes they are the Leather Classic Grey, they are made from a soft pu material with very high quality stitching and fixings, I can't find my receipt but I think I paid either £110 or £120 from SMG for them. Don't forget they also deliver nationwide aswell

Yes I got mine from SMG- ask for Stephen Mann the parts manager - he's very helpful and they give a good discount.
Incidentally got mine in Crete Grey - and exact match for my upholstery

We had the Brandrup driver seat pockets with the van, chose them in matching colour. Have only done two trips so far but they have proved their worth already. Wouldn't be without them!

The fitting instructions covered how to fit them to the latest version and older versions, so guess they'll be suitable for yours.

We read the earlier adverse comments too, but thought they were a bit OTT negative and we're glad we decided to see for ourselves what they were like.

Interestingly, a friend's first comment on looking inside our new Cali was "wow look at those seat pockets!"

I'm fast coming to the conclusion I need some of these!!

I think it'll have to wait for next month though :crazy

Stu ... I'm broke and not spent anything yet with all the accessories I'm wanting inside and out ... Lol lol :)

This has all been interesting and very helpful and I think I'm pretty decided on the value of the one that sits behind the driver on RHD Calis. We rarely turn the driver's seat round so the extra added on the back of the driver's seat shouldn't be a problem.

I wonder about the other Brandrup seat back pocket though: the one that has the taller pocket that can double as a cool box or a rubbish bin. Has anyone one of these and how do they find them? How useful are they? Any feedback would be good ...

barry said:
This has all been interesting and very helpful and I think I'm pretty decided on the value of the one that sits behind the driver on RHD Calis. We rarely turn the driver's seat round so the extra added on the back of the driver's seat shouldn't be a problem.

When we got our Cali the driver seat pocket attachment wasn't fitted but loose in the boot, believe they thought it would make rotating the driver's seat more difficult, but you can still do this with the pockets fitted and with stuff inside. Just a bit more fiddly.

Hi there, we have the Brandrup pockets on both front seats or our LHD California. Well made, lots of space and turning seats not a problem. We use the 'cooler' box section as a bin most of the time but great for drinks too.

I have the passenger ones and it is great, the long pocket is perfect for couple of bottles of wine and must say I couldn't do without. Will go and take couple of pics for you.

see pics below as you can see i have small bags at bottom of seats as well plus the ones on the bench seat. Really don't know where i would put everything if it wasn't for these additional pockets.

IMG_1390.jpg IMG_1389.jpg

Yeh, I think pockets for the backs of both seats look too useful not to buy in.
Thanks for the info folks and the photies.

Trouble is, quite a few of the other pockets are looking more attractive now ...

I think you'd have to PX a kidney if you wanted to fit your van out with them!!

Hi All, just joining in the debate as I am also interested in the seat back storage. Can anyone who has them comment on whether it is more difficult to swivel the front seats with the pockets fitted?

It sounds like SMG is the way to go for ordering.

Best Regards Barry

Hi Barry, it depends how much stuff you cram in but we don't have a problem turning the seats, its just a matter of bringing them slightly forward before turning.

If you want some from SMG, become a VIP and they will give you 10% off :thumb

Back