Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gap between front seats, and back of seat storage

diny

diny

Vehicle
Looking to buy
What do folk store in the big gap between the front seats, and has anyone found cheaper (than brandrup!) back of seat storage pockets that fit nicely?

Nothing on the back of seats. It would reduce the distance the seats could slide back/recline when rotated.
Water bottles and wine in a supermarket wine carrier on the floor between kitchen unit and base of passenger seat.

Between the seats is a plasic box fits exact inbetween and is not to high so the seats still can swivel. It holds some roadmaps and my ACSI camping book ....
The backpockets for the frontseats i do not have , i am under the impression they would be more in the way then usefull but thats a personal opinion.
Others have them and are happy with them.
I got other Brandrup pockets on the side of the kitchenunit and in the rear ...they are very handy but £££££

I've heard tell that a 9 litre Really Useful box fits perfectly and I believe the seats will still swivel.

..me..

I put my levelling blocks on the floor next to the handbrake so they're handy when arriving. Also stops us stepping on the soft bit in the floor (why is that bit soft?)

Charles

I put my levelling blocks on the floor next to the handbrake so they're handy when arriving. Also stops us stepping on the soft bit in the floor (why is that bit soft?)

Charles

Thick Underlay block with channels cut into the underside to cover a wiring loom that runs between the electrical components that are in the seat base of the 2 front seats. Perfectly safe to stand on and designed to be stood on.

I've heard tell that a 9 litre Really Useful box fits perfectly and I believe the seats will still swivel.

..me..
Got an abundance of the 12 litre boxes and fits almost perfectly. Slight bow handbrake side so lid does not clip on which is fine for me. Seats swivel. Result, somewhere for all those camping books and maps.

Mike

I can still step over a 4" high box.

Mike

Certainly in the rain and snow!
More useful in car parks. Park so the numpty next door can't slam their door into the California but I can get in through the side door.

I can still step over a 4" high box.

Mike
I use the door pockets for their intended purpose.:thumb

More useful in car parks. Park so the numpty next door can't slam their door into the California but I can get in through the side door.
Good point! Every day's a school day for me.

I use the door pockets for their intended purpose.:thumb
I need so many different pairs of specs nowadays so with them, the obligatory box of wine gums and the fancy VW bin (that I don't use but can't yet part with) mine are full up

Mike

I have a foam block that holds a bin, drinks bottles and torch between the seats.
IMG_3378.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0268.JPG
9litre box ( recommended by hotel California) excellent storage. Still easy walk through for us & westies .
Seat pockets very useful , easy to turn the seat.

Indeed the one above i have , perfect fit seats can still be turned with the box in place.

I bought a small plastic stool/step with a non-slip top to go between the two front seats and it's been a very useful multi-purpose addition to the van. It's the right height for putting a bag on, or can be turned upside down to store things in. It also functions as a fourth seat in the cabin if we need it (instead of the faff of swivelling the left side front seat) and is useful to stand on outside to put on the roof cover. Best use is as a stand for the wine box. Can't remember where I bought it though.IMG_1290.JPG

Hessian bag full of maps and guide books.

Passenger seat pocket: manual, shopping bag, brush, odds & ends.
Driver's seat pocket: road atlas, square Ikea tray (very useful), large thin chopping board, magazines.
We don't have anything between the seats while driving along but the plastic crate with flasks & food in it goes there when parked up, also the bin.
Our bin is like Loz's - the foam block is a great idea, blasted thing keeps falling over while we're driving, as it won't quite fit behind the passenger seat; otherwise a good size.

Indeed the one above i have , perfect fit seats can still be turned with the box in place.

2 of these 9 litre boxes also fit usefully into the bench drawer and still leave space for other bits and pieces.

IMG_0092.JPG
What do folk store in the big gap between the front seats, and has anyone found cheaper (than brandrup!) back of seat storage pockets that fit nicely?
Back of seat storage, I got this 3 years ago from Ikea, 8 pockets, £8, bit cheaper than Brandrup. They still sell them. The loops at the top are perfect for the headrest, just need to remove the headrest (easy) and put the headrest rods through the loops and put it back in, took seconds. We roll it up and secure with elastic bands when not in use. Hope this is helpful.

Back