Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adjusting reversing sensors for bike rack

gbobthomas

gbobthomas

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi everyone, first post to the forum after purchasing my first ever California (a T6 Ocean) on Monday, which we already adore! Although my first post, the forum has been an invaluable source of information and my most visited website over recent weeks by a country mile - so much so I thought it might start trending at work and cause them to have a go at me!

Ok, my question...
I have the VW bike rack fitted. Is there a way to adjust the range of the reversing sensors to account for the increased length of the vehicle? Essentially I would like them to flat line a bit earlier as, when reversing, the bike rack clearly approaches the obstacle sooner than the back of the van.

Thanks, Gareth

Not as far as I know. You need to be careful.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I doubt it, and I'm not sure I'd want to. Key is to look at the wall / obstruction you'd be likely to hit first and see if it is above or below bike rack height. Many are below so you can rely on the normal calibration.

You have an original towbar fitted? Or aftermarket with CANBUS, or without?
If a bike rack or trailer, caravan, whatever... is attached, with the original or aftermarket with CANBUS, the parking sensors at the rear won't work. They will never work with anything attached, because whatever you put behind your vehicle will always be in sight of the sensors. They can't "look" through metal. They detect the first thing in front of them, and would warn you that you are too close to something and you need to back off to the front. That would be the case without CANBUS towbar electricity.

Dumb me!!!

You meant you have the rear lid bike rack of course?
In that case, I don't think (I am almost sure) you can adjust the distance of the sensors.

:Iamsorry

Test the range of your sensors, with a helper , by reversing slowly and carefully towards a sold obstruction with rack extended. Subtract the protrusion of the bike rack. Make notes as & when your screen shows amber blocks.
Or simply use a human to assist you in reversing.

Hi unfortunately the sensor range cannot be adjusted

Thanks everyone. I have done some testing (with a low fence) and thought it might be useful for others to see the results in case anyone has the same question. Helpfully, the sensors flat line at the point shown in the pictures, so even if the obstacle were higher the bike rack would not hit.

IMG_7454.jpg

IMG_7455.JPG

Hi unfortunately the sensor range cannot be adjusted
Hello VW Guru,

is it possible via vcds to disable central rear sensors please? I have towbar plus protection guard. The guard causes the sensors to activate when reversing.

I'd like to keep the guard, as it helps to minimise bumper damage when hitching/unhitching.

Many thanks

Back