Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack - VW tailgate or tow bar?

B

bluejade

Hi - apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere - I have just ordered a Cali Beach and although I thought I had rehearsed with myself (it's just for me and the pussy cats) that we were having tow bar bike rack (Atera Strada) I found myself agree with the pleasant sales chap that I would have the standard VW tailgate option.

My quandary is that although I am strong and can probably lift my bike onto the tailgate carrier, it seems to sit very high with the bikes above the roof line and might also reduce my visibility especially when reversing. I'm also concerned that it will just act as a massive wind break and bump up my fuel consumption (I've opted for the 114 in the hope it will be reasonably economic). I also see from the brochure that the tailgate should not be opened with a bike in situ which is likely to be a real pain for overnight/ en route stops.

So should I stick with the tailgate rack and possible have the parking sensors (I was trying to avoid them partly because of the beeping and partly hubris) or should I have a detachable tow ball, 13 pin electrics and a nice sliding Atera rack?

Answers on an aerodynamic postcard please ...

I think the VW tailgate mounted rack will add a small overhead to your MPG (even when unloaded).

However the towbar plus Atera combo is very expensive.

I think if you are a regular bike carrying type person then the VW tailgate mounted one might be the best option, as you can leave the rack on all the time, and it will fold up, and act as a clothes lines.

For occasional use, or if you might want to tow other stuff then the towbar one is a good idea.

The Atera is very good, but when not in use you have to take it off and store it somewhere (when at home or on holiday).

Having said all that I have a towbar and towball carrier, but I also tow a small trailer (and hardly ever carry bikes!!!)

T

Permanently attached bike racks on the car/van can act as a flag for bike thieves that there are bikes in the garage. Dependent on where you live and how you use your van a more readily detachable tow bar rack may be preferable.

You will be limiting which car parks you can use with the fixed rack.
You will have to be very careful when opening the rear tailgate with a bike on with the roof closed/open. Depending on a number of factors the tailgate may not stay open when the rack is loaded with one or more bicycles.
The tailgate rack can be removed when not needed but not easily and would have to be stored as would the Altera.
Yes, the Altera+ Towbar combo is more expensive, but that is your personal decision.

I have gone for the Altera.
1. Detacheable
2. Altera can be used on ore than 1 vehicle
3. Towbar can be useful for me and for resale IF that should be a consideration
4. Any car park of 2m or more can be used.
5. Tailgate can open with Altera 3 bike rack in place and upto 2 bicycles
6. My Cali is also my daily driver, NOT just my holiday and/or weekend vehicle and I have no intention of carting around a fixed rack when not needed.
7.Expense was not a consideration-practicality was.

This is full of compromises. Our two bikes on the VW rack make us just under 2.35m high so 2m height restricted areas are out.
The two bikes weigh 28kg and it's very difficult to raise the rear door and the gas struts don't keep it up. It's also been voiced that doing this damages the tailgate. don't know.
An empty roof rack on a car increases the fuel consumption between 4 to 10% depending on type of roof rack so the bikes sticking up 0.35m higher must have an affect. My fuel consumption with the bikes on, a 140, is around 38mpg full tank to full tank, not computer.
With the bike rack in use the length of the Cali becomes around 5.4m but this is at high level so when parking clears most bollards and other car bonnets!

Tow ball racks that can tilt can allow you to gain access to open the tailgate, we just pack so you don't need to. The length of the Cali is increased and is at low level which means you need to be more vigilant when parking/reversing.
It's easier to mount the bikes, with our VW rack I use a folding stool so that I can more easily manage the securing. I'm vertically challenged at just under 5'9".

As with anything to with camping it's the big 'C' word, 'Compromise'. All you can do is listen to the different points that members put forward and decide what's right for you.

Hi there, does anyone know if the Thule tilting bike rack, tilts enough to allow the tailgate to open on a T5? Cheers

According to the Thule 2014 brochure the EuroClassic G6 LED bike rack has a:

'Wide tilt angle allows opening of even very large rear-doors (e.g. VW T5) - even with four bikes mounted' (sic)

The tilt mechanism is operated by a foot lever below the number plate.
This is the one I am looking at for this year.

The other 3 models all tilt, how far is not specified.

http://tinyurl.com/m6dtoqe

Alan

I have the old style Thule towbar mounted bike carrier, and it doesn't even allow the boot to open with the bikes removed - doh.

This is when connected to the removable Westfalia towbar.

Mine is really old though from my pre-cali days - think it is a 9503 or 9403.

T

I have the Westfalia Portilo BC60 tow bar bike carrier (mine is branded Porsche and all black) with 3rd bike option I can honestly say its a fantastic high quality piece of kit. It folds up small when not in use and can be hung on the garage wall, in conjunction with a removable tow ball its a pleasure to use. It also tips forward with all the bikes mounted so you can open the tailgate.

The only thing that tempts me about the VW bike rack is the fact it holds four bikes other then that, IMO they sit too high and when not in use they look far to much hassle to remove and store so I'd imagine people keep them on all year around (which is what I've seen) and I'm not convinced its a great look. not forgetting all the visibility issues

I like the Sportline rear spoiler too which can't be fitted with the VW rack, so when the time comes for four bikes I'll get a different towbar cycle carrier or stick one on the roof lol

I have a thule euroway G3 923 and this won't tilt far enough for the tailgate to clear on our van with just a normal fixed vw towbar. Just wish I'd know about the atera strada first, seems this is the one that will tilt far enough (well slides) to open the tailgate, hopefully gonna try and modify my thule so it will slide and tilt enough to open the back door.

+ 1 for the Altera. 3 bike stand carrying 2 adult bikes in outer 2 slots allows tailgate to open no problem. Rear parking sensors are disabled when connected up but rear camera works fine for reversing. :shocked

Thanks for the messages - sounds like maybe it will...or maybe it won't. I've checked and it is a Thule Euro Classic G5 909 rack that I use - does anyone have experience of this specific model? Cheers

Found this on amazon.de and translated with Google....

"The tilt function allows access to the boot , even with deep rear-doors such as the VW T5, with bikes . "

Mine is a Thule Euroclassic G5 2-Bike carrier and the tailgate opens fine. Easy to lift the bikes on too.

Colin

We have the Atera rack, best bit of kit we have bought. We don't always take bikes, but when mounted and bikes loaded you can open the tailgate. Don't have far to lift the bikes and we can lock bike on the van over night and still get in and out of the boot if needed.

Don't find it a problem reversing, you just need to take some extra care.

With bikes loaded, you can't see any of the rack or bikes in the wing mirrors so it's nice and aero dynamic.

I use the towbar for a motorcycle trailer from time to time so it one was of my 'essential' option items.

I have the Westfalia Portilo BC60 tow bar bike carrier (mine is branded Porsche and all black) with 3rd bike option I can honestly say its a fantastic high quality piece of kit. It folds up small when not in use and can be hung on the garage wall, in conjunction with a removable tow ball its a pleasure to use. It also tips forward with all the bikes mounted so you can open the tailgate.

The only thing that tempts me about the VW bike rack is the fact it holds four bikes other then that, IMO they sit too high and when not in use they look far to much hassle to remove and store so I'd imagine people keep them on all year around (which is what I've seen) and I'm not convinced its a great look. not forgetting all the visibility issues

I like the Sportline rear spoiler too which can't be fitted with the VW rack, so when the time comes for four bikes I'll get a different towbar cycle carrier or stick one on the roof lol

This message is in reply to Rippers.

Westfalia tell me that if their BC60 is mounted on their own vertical detachable tow hitch the tailgate cannot be opened with bikes mounted.

It appears that your experience is different. Perhaps its a matter of the specific towbar - what type is yours?

I'd be very grateful for more information, because at the moment every tow hitch-mounted bike carrier, capable of carrying 2 e-bikes (weight approx. 25kg each), I investigate, I seem to find is not compatible with tailgate opening.

Back