Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket tow bar advice

Jolberg

Jolberg

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all.
I have a 68 plate ocean and am interested in fitting a tow bar so that I can mount a bike carrier from it.
Does anyone have any advice on what to look for in order to ensure the parking sensors and warranty etc are not affected.
Any recommendations for people to fit in the North West also gratefully received.

Thanks for any input.

jol

I installed an original fixed towbar and some electronic set from ECS (Dutch make).
I chose the original towbar because of my rear parking sensors. They are not that small as in the later T5.2.
The original towbar has 4 holes in it to let the parking sensors stick out without being crushed against the towbar, as some or most aftermarket towbars are without the needed holes.

For a T6, with the smaller and neater parking sensors, I guess it's less of an issue of which brand you take.
The original towbar cost me € 50 more than a not original one, but as 1 sensor is about € 100, I couldn't take the risk of damaging at least 1, or all 4.

The only problem I had in the beginning, was that the parking sensors kept seeing the towbar, so I had beepings all over the place. Luckily there was an update for the parking sensors so they looked a bit further, and ignored the towbar. No issues since then, over 9 years later.

So in fact it's all up to you, but I'd keep it as original as possible. Apart for the electro set, but that was coded in the vehicle so it can read light faults, shut down the rear sensors when towing, ...

Hi all.
I have a 68 plate ocean and am interested in fitting a tow bar so that I can mount a bike carrier from it.
Does anyone have any advice on what to look for in order to ensure the parking sensors and warranty etc are not affected.
Any recommendations for people to fit in the North West also gratefully received.

Thanks for any input.

jol
PF Jones. They have agents and a mobile fitting service. All coded into vehicle electronics.

I have a Westfalia towbar, detachable type. Doesn't interfere with parking sensors when fitted or detached.

Had it fitted by a local outfit, all good so far.

My van is out if warranty but it wouldn't bother me even if it was, I think fitting a bar and electrics is fairly low risk to the vehicle electrics generally. But you pays your money and takes your choice/chance.

Just had a detachable Westfalia tower fitted at PF Jones in Wigan. Dropped the van off in the morning and picked up later in the day.

Chester towbar centre. Will code everything up properly for you. Go for a Westfalia including electrics as its oem

I have a Westfalia towbar, detachable type. Doesn't interfere with parking sensors when fitted or detached.

Had it fitted by a local outfit, all good so far.

My van is out if warranty but it wouldn't bother me even if it was, I think fitting a bar and electrics is fairly low risk to the vehicle electrics generally. But you pays your money and takes your choice/chance.
Absolutely disagree (sorry). If you have reversing camera etc and still have warranty please ensure it’s done by VW with VW genuine parts. I’ve had a nightmare of issues but fortunately covered under extended warranty - but some not so nice conversations along the way...

They are not that small as in the later T5.2.
Just a note, T5.2 in Germany = T5.1 in GB, T5.1 in Germany = T5 in GB. I have no idea how German forums will deal with WV introducing the T6.1.

Just a note, T5.2 in Germany = T5.1 in GB, T5.1 in Germany = T5 in GB. I have no idea how German forums will deal with WV introducing the T6.1.
Easy, from 2015 its the T6 and from now its the T6.1.