Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket v VW suspension

Might be strange but, it’s true
I’m sure it is, but at 56k miles, springs and shock absorbers?
Not something commonly mentioned on the T4/T5 forum.

I’m sure it is, but at 56k miles, springs and shock absorbers?
Not something commonly mentioned on the T4/T5 forum.
At 10 years old, the shocks could be tired. Might be worth changing the springs as well, it’s the same labour charge.
Otherwise he might be back 6months later for a snapped spring.
I would change suspension bushes and stuff as well, give it some TLC, good for another 10 years.

Had a longer day out around North Wales today & upgrading the suspension has been worth every single penny. Very pleased. We don't mod vehicles so not something we would have considered previously.

If you raise the rear end by 20mm, would that raise the roof clearance? I would be all for it if it didnt but I get nervous enough with some of the car park height restrictions so wouldnt want to make it worse. I definitely dont want the van lowered though - although maybe you could lower the front by 10mm and raise the rear by 10mm to achieve same result but without increasing height?

Also, what did it do to your insurance? (less important as its only money....)

We're so tight that if we'd have had to pay more insurance, I'd have left it to next year. It was noted on the policy but no extra charges with Comfort. Excellent customer service from them, happy, friendly emails sorting it out.

We have lots of height restrictions here, due to all the campervans "wild camping". (It's hardly wild, as they're parked nose-to-tail on every available tatty bit of layby) so we're a bit twitchy about height too. It doesn't appear to be much different but not been out with the tape measure yet...

Oh well, at least we don't own the house on a nicer bit of seafront than where we live, watching an 8m racevan run its engine endlessly, right in front of it yesterday. Would drive me batty.
64324.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll need new springs and shocks on our 2012 Cali this year.
Question is, do I replace with standard VW kit (currently happy with the ride) or, can anyone recommend a worthwhile upgrade?
Not looking to uplift or lower.
Cheers
Corrosion/leaking shocks/broken springs can depend on many factors besides mileage.
Others have mentioned age,
Also;
Vehicle loading for excursions,
Locale, salty air/where parked/stored/Winter-salted roads?
Driving style/types of roads/tracks negotiated,,
Chassis /drivetrain road dirt/grime removal regime.
If you are not convinced by 1st MoT result, maybe try another?
Hope some of this may help.
Regards, Andy

Corrosion/leaking shocks/broken springs can depend on many factors besides mileage.
Others have mentioned age,
Also;
Vehicle loading for excursions,
Locale, salty air/where parked/stored/Winter-salted roads?
Driving style/types of roads/tracks negotiated,,
Chassis /drivetrain road dirt/grime removal regime.
If you are not convinced by 1st MoT result, maybe try another?
Hope some of this may help.
Regards, Andy

We do drive on mountain passes, country roads etc so I think the components have done well so far.
Thanks

Just back from a week in Cornwall, the Koni's fitted by CRS 2 weeks ago really came into their own, the twisty single lane tracks and undulations were dealt with confidence, For the money paid I can't think of a better upgrade.

Brilliant, thanks

Back