Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

the ride on rough roads, need to upgrade suspension

Yes, they are similar.

I am preparing to go to Morocco in January, but with a motorcycle.

I fancied motorcycling in Morocco but now I've been in the Cali I'm glad I didn't. Standard of driving far too dangerous, felt vulnerable even in the Cali so be very careful.

Hi Neil 1
We only drive on gravel roads in the rural parts of South Africa, Namibia and Botswana and the only 'aftermarket' suspension that are approved by VW South Africa not to invalidate there warranty,as far as I know, is the Seikel suspension etc from Germany
The Owner, Peter Seikel has driven Thousands of kilometer across the southern parts of Africa and needless to say, the suspension he used are designed for these conditions
He had a T5 permanently in South Africa

Trust this will help a bit :):)

HI Snowy55 they are Dunlop sport 01 They are ready to be changed ,so i may try something else.
I've read up on them on the dunlop website and they get decent reviews,but might still change to something else

I fancied motorcycling in Morocco but now I've been in the Cali I'm glad I didn't. Standard of driving far too dangerous, felt vulnerable even in the Cali so be very careful.
When driving a Cali in Albania I wished I had a truck. I was with my family, so I was worried even more.

Cali weighs the same as BMW X5, but is far less comfortable. It is a van and we have to take this into consideration. I much more prefer driving my Audi on a daily basis, but cannot cook and sleep in it. Everything is a compromise.

Hi Neil
Drop my dealer an email. He told me that he had sold California's to people who have had the suspension upgraded for off roading in Finland. He is very helpful and a Cali fanatic.

stefan.albert@amag.ch

Dropping the suspension slightly by 30-40mm can keep the same ability to damp lumps and bumps but can stop a lot of rolling and wallowing which can be unpleasant in the rear seats. Also keep those wheels sensibly sized with a big profile to help absorb uneven roads.

I would only advice to slow down. It is a van and as such much heavier than a car. I drove in several parts of Balkans with very bad roads and the right way was to go slow and avoid the damaged parts of the road.
Here is a picture of a road in Albania. The average speed we had was 27 km/h.

View attachment 11117
Looks just like some of our local roads in Kent!

I would have thought that not everything is well with your suspension and or wheels. As it has been said here check for broken rear springs and dampers.
Low profile tyres are really bad on bad roads, I think the ideal compromise for bad roads/rough tracks are 235/60/16. In our experience letting the tyre pressures down does alleviate the bumping about but makes the handling absolutely terrible.
Understand that 'Seikel' in Germany does some fantastic off-road stuff, look at http://www.seikel.de/produkt-kategorie/volkswagen-t5-eh/?lang=eh. Attaching (with luck) a picture of a fellow traveller in South America - 4Motion, big tyres, higher suspension, rear diff lock, shield covering the whole underneath, snorkel and sand matts, still going strong after we met him 2 years ago in northern Argentina.

P1010259.JPG

We are in New Zealand where some (a lot actually) of back country roads are gravel, corrugated, potholed and very twisty, especially in mountainous country. Our 2011 T5 was delivered with Dunlop SPs which seem to offer quite a soft ride. We have replaced these (25,000kms) with Bridgestones. A harder ride but longerlived tyre. We have not altered our suspension and drive to the conditions - in some cases a 25kph average. Over here short distances can take quite a long time. Our Audi A3 might average 10kph more but anything over this would invite disaster.

Am waiting for my T6 4motion with DCC fitted, will be very interested to see if the DCC helps with things like this!

Am waiting for my T6 4motion with DCC fitted, will be very interested to see if the DCC helps with things like this!
DCC? Sorry I'm having a thick/senior moment :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dynamic chassis control. It can alter the damping in each corner individually, depending how crashy you want it to be.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks. Of course doh! remember now but did not know it was an option. Will be interesting to see how Ben finds it.

Still don't see DCC as an option ? Well not on my option lists!

Still don't see DCC as an option ? Well not on my option lists!

Answered my own question. Asking before thinking. I was thinking of ACC which is not to my knowledge an option.

"Adaptive chassis control (DCC) makes it possible to adjust the running gear to a normal, sporty or comfortable tuning. The electrically adjustable damping system adapts automatically to the setting, as does the electromechanical power steering.
DCC responds continually to changing driving situations and takes braking, steering and accelerating operations into account.
Adaptive chassis control (DCC) provides for considerably enhanced driving characteristics. The driver is no longer restricted to a certain running gear configuration. Rather, he is able to individually adapt his vehicle. A push of a button on the centre console is all it takes."

Hi,

I've looked at previous threads for suspension upgrades. We live part of the year in Moldova, where the roads are bumpy, sometimes.

Can you please tell me what parts I need to upgrade, for all four wheels, shocks, dampers, springs, coils, etc? I'm not totally clueless when it comes to mechanics, and I can do further research, I just need some guidance.

The wife has approved us heading for warmer weather so going to head out at New Year. I want to make sure the ride is good for the toddlers, so they feel comfortable in the back, not swinging and bouncing all over the place.

I wish I could get the ride as smooth as my wife's Audi Q5, is that even possible?

thanks you in advance!
I spoke to my dealer here in Switzerland. He says they have swapped the Cali suspension with the Amarok for off-roading.

Off roading can be rough, I did it in military service for 15 months. I wouldn't use Cali for such driving, unless it is already written off. Old Syncro is something that I would get for it.
Limeyroof006noreg.jpg

Off roading can be rough, I did it in military service for 15 months. I wouldn't use Cali for such driving, unless it is already written off. Old Syncro is something that I would get for it.
Limeyroof006noreg.jpg
Those Syncro's are the muts nuts!

Just purchased 2006 California and today driving on a local road (Norway) I was surprised how bad the ride was. In California I owned a 1968 Westfalia and later a 1988 Vanagon. Both had better rides than this van. I thought perhaps something was amiss, but after reading these posts perhaps it is par for this van. Will switch out the winter tires next week and see if the summer tires ride better.

Last edited:
Just purchased 2006 California and today driving on a local road (Norway) I was surprised how bad the ride was. In California I owned a 1968 Westfalia and later a 1988 Vanagon. Both had better rides than this van. I thought perhaps something was amiss, but after reading these posts perhaps it is par for this van. Will switch out the winter tires next week and see if the summer tires ride better.
With a 2006 vehicle, now 10+ years old and some miles driven then I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the suspension, springs, bushes and shocks didn't need some TLC or replacement, unless of course it has already been done. They don't last for ever and both time and milage play a part in these components failing and possibly not being noticed until a change of driver.

My high recommendation for rough road suspension is SEIKEL “Desert” lift kit for front-wheel drive or 4 motion
http://www.seikel.de/shop/desert-lift-kit-for-front-wheel-drive/?lang=eh With monroe shock absorbers. I ride cca 4000 km with standard suspension and than change for seikel with monroe on my T6 Beach. I can tell you after another 15000 km that it is more comfortable ride on every type of road. 1:)
btw. my T6 is 4 motion with HD anti roll bars and Michelin Latitude Cross 17"

Isnt airsuspension as good in that case? Would be nice with self levelling etc.

With a 2006 vehicle, now 10+ years old and some miles driven then I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the suspension, springs, bushes and shocks didn't need some TLC or replacement, unless of course it has already been done. They don't last for ever and both time and milage play a part in these components failing and possibly not being noticed until a change of driver.

Thanks for info. I will pursue, as I want to enjoy driving as well as camping.