Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarm help please

T

Thegallachers

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Can someone help please. How do you turn the internal sensor off. I have read the manual, pressed the button at the side of the drivers seat but had no joy. We have dog and have had to leave the van unlocked when we pop into the shops.

Press the key fob once to lock, deadlock and alarm and press it once more to leave locked but disable the deadlock and alarm.

Reactions: wyn
Can someone help please. How do you turn the internal sensor off. I have read the manual, pressed the button at the side of the drivers seat but had no joy. We have dog and have had to leave the van unlocked when we pop into the shops.
If you do it through the sliding door it doesn't work. Close that and have driver's open. Then press it and you will see it changes from red to yellow. You can now close the door and lock it with pooch inside.
Once it's been changed it stays that way so remember to change it back when trip is over and it's parked up without the 4 legged burglar alarm inside...

(from memory) when you press the remote lock you see the door button drop & the red light flashes (fully armed), immediately press the remote lock a 2nd time and the button jumps up a couple of millimetres and flashes again, now the sensors are disabled.
This is what we do when sleeping in the van & haven't set the alarm off yet. pressing the button in the door pillar before closing the door & locking with remote has also worked for me.

If you do it through the sliding door it doesn't work. Close that and have driver's open. Then press it and you will see it changes from red to yellow. You can now close the door and lock it with pooch inside.
Once it's been changed it stays that way so remember to change it back when trip is over and it's parked up without the 4 legged burglar alarm inside...
The subtleties of this one are a bit much. Works through one door and not the other.
Too hard to remember for infrequent ferry trips.
I thought it reset itself. I guess it just never set in the first place :headbang:headbang:headbang

It does seem odd that VW provide two solutions for disabling the internal sensors .. does anyone if there is a difference?

I think this has been covered before, but as with all things Cali I think it can vary from T5 to T5 and Cali to Cali!.

There are two things at play here:
  • Disabling the motion sensors - so if there is movement in the van the alarm doesn't sound
  • Disabling the deadlock, so you can get out of the van without the keys (with the deadlock enabled if you lock the doors with the key, and you put the keys down to go to sleep, and something catches fire then you will need to find the keys in a hurry to get out - without deadlock you just need to pull the door handles twice to get out)
If you have a button on the B pillar to disable the alarm then I think the process is (stolen and edited from previous threads):

If the B pillar button is showing RED then:
  • Fob button x 1 Central locking ON, Deadlock ON, Alarm ON, Motion sensor ON
  • Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON, Motion sensor ON
  • Inside button on drivers door Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm OFF, OFF
If the B pillar button is showing Amber then:
  • Fob button x 1 Central locking ON, Deadlock ON, Alarm ON, Motion sensor /anti-tow OFF
  • Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON, Motion sensor/anti-tow OFF
  • Inside button on drivers door Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm OFF, Motion sensor/anti-tow OFF
So the procedure if you are sleeping in the van, is to press the Inside button on the drivers door, as this will lock the doors (but not dead lock - so you can get out in an emergency without the keys).

If you are leaving the van with a dog in the van then. Make sure the B pillar button is amber and press the fob button once or twice.

If you are leaving a person in the van (who you want to be able to get out in an emergency then Make sure the B pillar button is amber and press the fob button twice.

If you are leaving nothing in the van, and the roof is not up and you are not on a ferry, or in an earthquake zone then Make sure the B pillar button is redand press the fob button once. This will be maximum security!

If you do not have a B pillar button, then I think the procedure is:
  • Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON, Motion sensor OFF
But I can't confirm that.

Who knew locking your van could be so hard....

I think this has been covered before, but as with all things Cali I think it can vary from T5 to T5 and Cali to Cali!.

• Disabling the motion sensors - so if there is movement in the van the alarm doesn't sound
  • Disabling the deadlock, so you can get out of the van without the keys (with the deadlock enabled if you lock the doors with the key, and you put the keys down to go to sleep, and something catches fire then you will need to find the keys in a hurry to get out - without deadlock you just need to pull the door handles twice to get out)
If you have a button on the B pillar to disable the alarm then I think the process is (stolen and edited from previous threads):

• Inside button on drivers door Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm OFF, OFF
  • Fob button x 1 Central locking ON, Deadlock ON, Alarm ON, Motion sensor /anti-tow OFF
  • Fob Button x 2 Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm ON, Motion sensor/anti-tow OFF
  • Inside button on drivers door Central locking ON, Deadlock OFF, Alarm OFF, Motion sensor/anti-tow OFF
So the procedure if you are sleeping in the van, is to press the Inside button on the drivers door, as this will lock the doors (but not dead lock - so you can get out in an emergency without the keys).

If you are leaving the van with a dog in the van then. Make sure the B pillar button is amber and press the fob button once or twice.

If you are leaving a person in the van (who you want to be able to get out in an emergency then Make sure the B pillar button is amber and press the fob button twice.

If you are leaving nothing in the van, and the roof is not up and you are not on a ferry, or in an earthquake zone then Make sure the B pillar button is redand press the fob button once. This will be maximum security!

If this turns out to be true then that's the most comprehensive explanation I've read yet !

:thumb

If you are leaving the van with a dog in the van then. Make sure the B pillar button is amber and press the fob button once or twice.ton from a VW Gold which had same. However, I can't find one at all on my new Cali.

Thanks for all your detail above.... I collected my T6 Beach on Saturday past, it was built week 48, 2016 - So it is a MY17 build/spec......

The owner's manual references the B-Pillar button, and I'm familiar with this from my previous VW Golf (which had one.) However, I can't find one anywhere on my new Cali.

We left our dog in the Cali, having pressed the lock button on the remote key fob twice, but we're not 100% sure this is the correct method, as the owner's manual only references using the B-Pillar button..... The alarm didn't go off, after about 5-minutes of hanging around anyway.....

Does anyone else have a MY17, T6 Beach with or without a B-Pillar button?

Thanks.....

Last edited:
Pressing the fobb button twice only removes the deadlock and make the vehicle less secure as the handles will still work on the inside if the window is smashed (although your dog might be the deterrent)

If you have no button on the B pillar, you may not have volumetric sensors, if you have them they are next to the overhead light switches.
If you don't have these then you don't have to worry about it going off with the dog inside.

Edit: I forgot to mention something I noticed the other day, it seems that my b pillar switch is automatically activated (set amber) if I open the roof.

Last edited:
I was wondering what I was going to do tomorrow. Now I know

Mike

[QUOTE="If you have no button on the B pillar, you may not have volumetric sensors, if you have them they are next to the overhead light switches.
If you don't have these then you don't have to worry about it going off with the dog inside..[/QUOTE]

Thanks @Loz - Just re-checked, and definitely cant find a button on the B-Pillar. I also couldn't find any sensors near the overhead lights. Perhaps the MY17 Beach does not come with volumetric motion alarm as standard? Are the sensors in the cab-area lights, passenger-area lights or both? Cheers!

I also sat in the van for 10mins with the doors locked via the remote, and no alarm went off.....

Last edited:
Thanks @Loz - Just re-checked, and definitely cant find a button on the B-Pillar. I also couldn't find any sensors near the overhead lights. Are the sensors in the cab-area lights, passenger-area lights or both? Cheers!.
This is what they look like.
IMG_1938.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks @Loz - Just re-checked, and definitely cant find a button on the B-Pillar. I also couldn't find any sensors near the overhead lights. Are the sensors in the cab-area lights, passenger-area lights or both? Cheers!.
This is what they look like.
View attachment 18714[/QUOTE]

Very odd - I have a T6 Beach and I do have a B pillar button on the drivers side - about half way up - its also covered in the user manual so I would have expected it to be there. Mystery......

Thanks @Fast Freddie - Do you know if yours is a MY16 or MY17 Beach? I think MY17 builds start around July 2016. I've put a query into VW Product Support, as I don't have a button, yet interior monitoring is listed as a standard feature on the T6 Beach.

Last edited:
Just got on Poole / Cherbourg ferry and struggled with this safe lock thing . It's a mystery . Finally got an amber light . Think that disables motion sensor !

Just got on Poole / Cherbourg ferry and struggled with this safe lock thing . It's a mystery . Finally got an amber light . Think that disables motion sensor !
Yep I believe it does.

Mike

I heaven't heard back for VW Product Support yet, but have (via this forum) heard from another MY17 Beach owner, who also has no button on B-Pillar.

Last edited: