Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All T5 owners and T6 Buyers... Options

Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat (Beach: bed enlargement including storage compartment) ?

I have the feeling this is the storage box which runs down the side of the 2 seat bench where the fridge and cooker are in the SE. Reading between the lines it now seems to be an option.

Also anyone ordering the Beach auxiliary heater beware. It seems that the option list has gone back to a long and confusing list of possible variants much like it was when we ordered. We ordered one out of the list only to find out 3 months after ordering that the factory couldn't do it and had removed the heater from our order and no one had told us!!!!! I'd go for the variant which is the same as the one that is standard in the SE just to be on the safe side.

The reversing sensors are disabled when the tow bar electrics are in use, so unless you are towing they'll work normally.

Reverising cameras are normally installed in the number plate recess so a tailgate bike rack won't obscure the camera, but a tow bar mounted rack might obscure the camera and disable the sensors.

I have auto dim rear view mirror in car and Cali, car works fine, but the one in the Cali gets a bit confused sometimes due to the privacy glass I guess, but still very useful.

Now, time to set the cat among the pigeons as far as options go.
Awning........yawning. Big expensive lump to lug around all the time. Bought a hat instead :cool: Our van came without an awning, (dealer demo), thought we'd buy one later, but we've never missed having it, so never bought one. I expect most forum members will disagree though.

Seems to be a lot more decisions to be made about the options on the new vans now. Didn't a lot of this stuff come as standard previously?

What is the reason to go for de-badging? :confused:

Awning........yawning. Big expensive lump to lug around all the time. Bought a hat instead :cool: Our van came without an awning, (dealer demo), thought we'd buy one later, but we've never missed having it, so never bought one. I expect most forum members will disagree though.
I agree, although we have one as it was already on the van. Unless you go to near the equator it doesn't keep the sun off and the rain always blows under it. Oh, and always worried the wind will catch it and damage the van :eek:

;);););)
Seems to be a lot more decisions to be made about the options on the new vans now. Didn't a lot of this stuff come as standard previously?

What is the reason to go for de-badging? :confused:
Debadging?
I've decided to do it as I think it looks cleaner and it will have beach written on the side and a vw badge at the front and the back. Don't need to tell people anything else. :)

I agree, although we have one as it was already on the van. Unless you go to near the equator it doesn't keep the sun off and the rain always blows under it. Oh, and always worried the wind will catch it and damage the van :eek:

I have yet to use my awning, in fact I am totally convinced that it will never be used. I will be really pleased to order a new vehicle without one.

Thanks for your input, So far Options Im concidering:-

Black Awning
Safe
Front and Rear Parking sensors
Front Assist. City auto emergency braking
Lights and vision package
Mud flaps
Up rated Battery and Alternator
Privercy glass
High Beam assist
BUT can not decide on colour ????

All comments welcome
Don't forget cruise control, it's not standard now.

Well, the awning thing was inconclusive. :D

How about nominations for options that are a complete waste of time?

I nominate - wait for it ..... the .... Flashlight !

The trouble with the flashlight is that when it's dark you need a torch to find it :eek:

We're looking at going with the Alcantara... any reason you'd not recommend it? Txs.
I went with alcantara on the T5 and now on the T6 and its absolutely perfect as long as you have it protected which is offered by the dealer.

Thanks for your input, So far Options Im concidering:-

Black Awning
Safe
Front and Rear Parking sensors
Front Assist. City auto emergency braking
Mud flaps
Up rated Battery and Alternator
Privercy glass
High Beam assist
BUT can not decide on colour ????

All comments welcome
Xeno
T6 So Far

2.0TDI 150kW / 204PS EU6 4Motion 7-Speed DSG BMT
Front and rear parking sensors - probably not go for the rear camera
17" Running Gear as hopefully help braking
Cruise & multifunction steering wheel
Uprated alternator and battery
Privacy glass
4 remote folding keys
No badges option
Mud Flaps

Audio & Comms is difficult and expensive. Possibly go for 6.33 screen & app connect for apple car play and I would like the Satnav option but need to be persuaded??

Colour is looking like the Acapulco Blue. I have owned a VW Touran2.0 DSG for 11 years but never a California so get confused on the cosmetics. Having scoured the board which by the way is brilliant, it looks like I should go with the silver awning and tent adapter especially as looking to put on the silver VW bike rack.

Slightly tempted to go the Yellow option with black trimmings but possibly a bit brave for me :)

No idea what this lot are:-

Storage Net?
Bed extension with comfort sleeping mat (Beach: bed enlargement including storage compartment) ?

Any comments would be appreciated.

NB: I may delay purchase until I can get to a show as would like to chat to some owners.
Hi Mike, sounds like you have a high budget with the spec, hence the 4 motion. My experience is that these are very front heavy vans and handle very well in the snow and ice with decent tyres. I had T5 and recently ordered a T6, I have no budget but didn't go with 4M. Dealer agreed. Enjoy it.

Thanks Shane that's good to know. I will have a re think:)

Hi if any of you guys who have leather Alcantara
And you get them replaced I will be interested in buying the leather Alcantara covers you remove/ replace message me if you decide to change them.

Yippee t6 choices we are going to tick as many boxes as we can afford I do recall every one condemning me saying you won't be able to get a t6 for at least 2years so glad I waited
Does any one know how the figures will shape up on the used t5,s as they have been making an awfull lot more than there book value also with winter around the corner and the t6 only months away

I went with alcantara on the T5 and now on the T6 and its absolutely perfect as long as you have it protected which is offered by the dealer.

Thanks for that. We've gone for it, plus the paint and interior protection products.

Raising the tailgate with bikes on the rack seems to be no great problem - we often do it. With more than one bike we'd keep it supported by a helper, with a bike on the inside space you need to be careful the handlebars don't hit the raised pop up roof and you always need to close it super gently. But basically fine and no problem if you're careful. The VW bike rack is fantastic in many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;);););)
Debadging?
I've decided to do it as I think it looks cleaner and it will have beach written on the side and a vw badge at the front and the back. Don't need to tell people anything else. :)

Hi, when you say it will have beach on the side where is this written and how big is this, I cant seem to find and pictures of this logo?

Hi, when you say it will have beach on the side where is this written and how big is this, I cant seem to find and pictures of this logo?
vw-california-review-xlarge.jpg
You can see it here. Ocean has the same size and font on the side too. It's only stickers so could be removed if you wanted with a hairdryer and patience.

Back