Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a New California, advice on options please

greenp

greenp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone
I'm totally new to VW Transporter's / California's but looking to buy a new California ... My question to existing owners of the T5 and people selecting options for a new T6 California, what options do people who have lived with this vehicle recommend... I know this is a personal choice but I would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks Paul

The most chosen and a bare minimum I would say are privacy,parking sensors,cruise,standard aircon is ok but climatronic is better,sat nav
And multi function steering wheel, I would also miss my wind out awning.

We were unsure about privacy and parking sensors.....we got both and definitely worth it ! Love the awning (bit of shade and useful when it rains...). Everything else personal choice, we are not into 'gadgets or high tec' so front end pretty basic ( basic radio, no built in sat nav etc). We have basic air con which is absolutely fine ( had a nightmare with climatronic on my Passat but that's another story!)..... Other extras were side bars, slightly upgraded alloys but again personal choice....:) Oh and cruise control.....(is it standard anyway?)

Don't bother with the Electric side door :)
Awning is a must IMO - it's much harder to decide whether to wave or not unless you have an awning :D

We wouldn't have chosen it but I love my electric sliding door! May it never go wrong...

The leather heated seats are a bit of luxury but are awesome in the winter after a surf, so if we were to order a new one that would be my number one option.

I love my electric door as well

Climatronic

I would most definitely have the electric seats

If there is a leather option - at last! - then I would go for that

What % of the time do you estimate the slidign door actually closes rather than refuses to? I would guess 70% close rate

Just went for the basic sounds ( you can't really use the in van sounds anyway if parked up for a while due to the engine battery connection so you will probably want to have something else anyway and sat navs change more often than I plan to change vans...) and as above the privacy glass, awning, parking sensors ( though only really depend on the rear ones as the front visibility is excellent ) , the 180bhp engine ( on advice from the forum and it certainly is useful on the hills / get out of trouble acceleration etc ), and a tow bar ( bike racks , trailer for trips to the recycle with stuff you don't want to have in the mobile palace......and you really could not want to retro fit the electrics ), headlight covers ( makes it easy to stick on the continental adaptors which I was told can heat up if applied direct to the headlight...) .

so far so good - 9 months in and am not missing anything ...

good luck..

al

Thanks so much for all the comment ......... My next headache is choosing colour particularly when there are no real life examples

We went round the palette a few times and finally went for the most inobtrusive - 'natural' ( not sure what un naturasl would look like..) grey which seemed the least likely to be shouting '£50k' vehicle over here' and most likely to quietly mature over the (hopefully many) years.

again good luck with it all

If you can find one, go with the options it has! That's what I had to do...

Contrary to a few people on this thread, I was very disappointed with the privacy glass. It wasn't very dark at all. I've since had all my rear windows re-tinted with a "limo" tint (the darkest they had) and I now absolutely love it. My Beach is black, and, but for the side windows giving away to the trained eye, it now looks like a black panel van (which is the look I was going for). The visibility from within is still good both day and night. I also had my factory-supplied 16" wheels "dipped" in matte black which looks great and only cost me $125 (about £80)!

If you're thinking about doing similar, bear in mind that UK law prohibits the tinting of the front cab.

Last edited:
If you have a dog, leather seats are great...minimises smells! I cover the back bench with rugs but these are removed when in 'storage' and washed or just sprayed with febreeze. They're heated too which is a luxury but great when it's not summer.

My signature says it all.
I love the SatNav and with the Traffic Management function ON have never come to a halt on any major route, but have always kept moving, as it navigates you around any traffic jam, even on the Continent. I personally find the sound system more than adequate when travelling. It isn't a concert hall after all.
Air Con, not just useful in Summer but even more so in Winter.
Media In. I have 500hrs of MP3's on my USB stick so haven't repeated it yet when using that rather than the radio.
Don't have Bluetooth as I don't answer the phone when driving.
VW WiFi - expensive and better systems available.
Zenon Lights - if it floats your boat, but I find the normal lights more than adequate.
Auto lights/wipers, fine if you can't be bothered to find the switch and have money to spend, also more expensive windscreen replacement.
Side bars and wheels are really personal choices and certainly something that can be added later.
Leather seats, OK if you like them. Having had them on many previous vehicles I find them too hot in summer with shorts on and dislike sliding around on the seats. If the seats are proper bucket seats then that's better.
Full floor carpets from QTM, and I have the Autoglym Lifeshine system with 3 yr Guarantee. Some say it is expensive etc: but you get £80 + worth of products in a top up kit to keep the van sparkling and a 3 yr guarantee which works. Eventually when the seats look a little tired then I'll get the Brandrup 2nd skin covers or get them professionally recovered. Can't see the point of covering the seats with seat covers if you intend to keep the vehicle.
My California is used every day.:thumb

Not sure on leather seats. I have £100 waterproof covers from Inka over my fabric seats. Brought then as a temporary measure but they are great.

Takes all the stress out of worrying.

Back