Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All weather tyres

Brian’s Dad

Brian’s Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Are they worth it? After last winter I'd guess yes - only £144 to spec them on the builder.

Am I going to be annoyed by road noise, dec MPG and inc wear?

Bear in mind we might not have anymore bad snow for a couple of years, high mileage will be in the summer, day to day it will be the second car.

Also there are two options: 215/60 R17 C 109/107T or 235/55 R17 103H XL, what's the difference?

Thanks

I have Goodyear Vector AllSeason, liked them a lot, so much so I got another 2 when they got close to their limit after 26k miles. ;)

Good on grass too which is important for campers. A few threads recently on tyres worth a look through.

I have the original tyres on the alloys that came with the Cali and Goodyear Vector All Season like @MattBW on some steel wheels that I put on in the winter months. I was told that road salt is not kind to alloy wheels, so I've left it like that.
4 or 5 months of the year the steel wheels are on and the rest of the year is the alloys.
I would quite happily drive on the Goodyear Vector All Season all the year round as I don't hear any extra road noise, they are just as good for fuel economy and road holding. Until the summer tyres wear out it would be a waste not to use them.

having read a few more thread seems like a worthwhile upgrade

I've had Goodyear vector and currently on Michelin cross climate.

It entirely depends on your lifestyle but even in summer you only need heavy rain overnight whilst camping on grass to appreciate the peace of mind that comes with a set of MnS.

All tyres are noise and mpg rated so you can look at the bands they fall into to see what may give you comfort and what may not.

With both Goodyear and Michelin I have had no noise problems, if anything the Michelin slightly quieter, and my Vectors lasted me for 30,000 miles so I'm quite happy.

Thanks, from my quick read of tyre specs they don't appear to be noisier than summer tyres / maybe slightly quieter. Obviously better wet grip and slight dec in economy.

Don't want to get stuck on wet grass etc... think i'll get them

I recently bought 2 new front tyres and on advice from posts on this site I went for Michelin Cross Climate which were in exchange for the original Dunlop tyres which came with the van. I have not noticed any increase in road noise, nor any decrease in average mpg.

I have had a few comments from the neighbours about the unusual pattern of the tyre tread!

I changed from a mix of Michelin Primacy 3 and a AAA Budget on the rears for Michelin Crossclimate + all round just before the snow fell in February. The next day I had to drive to London in snow. They were excellent for grip and quieter than the mix of tyres I had on before.

I would recommend having 4 season tyres on your van.

Alan

Tyre differences.

The 215/60/17 C 107/109T is a 'C' commercial van rated tyre which can carry well in excess of the Cali's maximum weight. The sidewalls are reinforced and so stiffer to do enable this. 107/109 indicates the load rating per tyre.

The 235/55/17 R is 20mm wider than the 215 which also fills the wheel arch better from a cosmetic view.
The 103 load rating remains over the VW axle maximum. In theory the sidewalls are more flexible and will absorb road surface faults better giving a very slightly better ride. Note in theory.
The 60 and 55 are the percentage of the tyre wall height in relation to the width. 60% of 215 and 55% of 235 giving same figure and overall diameter keeping the gearing the same.

In practice if you have a second car available for actual winter conditions and intend to use the Cali during the summer months only and don't spend much time on grass then no need for all seasons tyres.

However ordering 235's in an all weather/season tread would be an option that I'd take.

Narrower profile Tyres although not as ‘good looking’ are more effective in snow. The old Beetle and 2CV proved that.

Narrower profile Tyres although not as ‘good looking’ are more effective in snow. The old Beetle and 2CV proved that.
In principal yes but the tread design is more crucial.
Old Beetles and 2CVs didn't have 'summer' tyres fitted back then.

Agreed so with an all seasons design & compound and a narrower profile, it’s as good as it gets.
On snow yes but on grass or mud the narrower tyre will cut in and get stuck more easily..

Nobody said it was easy to decide.

Reading this thread I realise now I'm a total thicko.

I have no idea about narrow rims, wide rims, ratio's to circumference, % of rubber on road, axle weight-bearing ....

I have a vehicle. It is beautiful. I want to go all-round camping. I don't want to be phased by rain and mud. I really do know how to drive in the snow, I really do want the right tyres, I don't want to be changing my tyres for every single trip and every single weather forecast.

Therefore, standard rims my vehicle came with, 235/55 .... I put on MnS tyres.

I don't get stuck, I don't get driven nuts by noise, I don't have outrageous fuel consumption and within limitations I don't give a damn about tyre wear because as those bits of rubber are the only things between me, tarmac and disaster I change them early anyway and cost is secondary to safety.

Am I daft?

Last edited:
Reading this thread I realise now I'm a total thicko.

I have no idea about narrow rims, wide rims, ratio's to circumference, % of rubber on road, axle weight-bearing ....

I have a vehicle. It is beautiful. I want to go all-round camping. I don't want to be phased by rain and mud. I really do know how to drive in the snow, I used to drive a mountain rescue vehicle, I really do want the right tyres, I don't want to be changing my tyres for every single trip and every single weather forecast.

Therefore, standard rims my vehicle came with, 235/55 .... I put on MnS tyres.

I don't get stuck, I don't get driven nuts by noise, I don't have outrageous fuel consumption and within limitations I don't give a damn about tyre wear because as those bits of rubber are the only things between me, tarmac and disaster I change them early anyway.

Am I daft?
Daft no.

Many of us are guilty of over thinking the tyre and wheel issue.

I was dubious about going with all season tyres until I did a bit of research, reading reviews and looking at ratings. It was their enhanced ability on wet grass/mud that appealed most, having experienced struggling with a heavy van on soft ground they seem a good idea on a camper that is more likely to go off road than the average 4x4/SUV.
Not sure what brand of tyre a new California will be supplied with but most the premium brands now offer an all season tyre. I went with Vredestein Quartrac 5, nearly as good as the Michelin’s but a bit cheaper and I preferred the tread pattern! Pleased with them so far, no excessive road noise or ruined fuel economy.

Regarding tyre width, 215 and 235 aren’t much different and neither would really offer an advantage in most situations. The load rating will probably have more effect and personally I don’t see the point in having over rated commercial tyres that may have detrimental effect on ride quality.

I have the all weather tyres, (Good Year Vector 235/55) IThey are quiet and grip well on wet roads. general road handling is very good. I must admit that I expected a bit better grip on grass, but I cant compare to standard tyres. I have the 204 DSG engine and you do need to be really gentle on the throttle pulling away in the wet or even uphill on dry roads or they will still spin and scrub. One thing that has surprised me is the poor MPG that I get, even driving nicely. I don't know if they tyres are a factor, the weight I am carrying in the vehicle as I leave it fully loaded for quick escapes? On a recent trip, I averaged about 32 mpg whereas my mate with a re-mapped 140HP 2015 T5.1 averaged 49mpg?

I have the all weather tyres, (Good Year Vector 235/55) IThey are quiet and grip well on wet roads. general road handling is very good. I must admit that I expected a bit better grip on grass, but I cant compare to standard tyres. I have the 204 DSG engine and you do need to be really gentle on the throttle pulling away in the wet or even uphill on dry roads or they will still spin and scrub. One thing that has surprised me is the poor MPG that I get, even driving nicely. I don't know if they tyres are a factor, the weight I am carrying in the vehicle as I leave it fully loaded for quick escapes? On a recent trip, I averaged about 32 mpg whereas my mate with a re-mapped 140HP 2015 T5.1 averaged 49mpg?
Getting better grip on mud and grass is mostly down to how aggressive the tread pattern is. All season tyres generally don’t have the type of tread that would offer substantially increased grip on soft ground. You’d need go more all terrain for that.
32mpg ain’t bad for what it is and how much it weighs. From what others have said you may loose a couple of mpg changing to AS tyres but unlikely much more than that. Greatest influence is driving style and weight. I can get anything from 230 to 600+ miles to the tank depending on where and how I drive.

Getting better grip on mud and grass is mostly down to how aggressive the tread pattern is. All season tyres generally don’t have the type of tread that would offer substantially increased grip on soft ground. You’d need go more all terrain for that.
32mpg ain’t bad for what it is and how much it weighs. From what others have said you may loose a couple of mpg changing to AS tyres but unlikely much more than that. Greatest influence is driving style and weight. I can get anything from 230 to 600+ miles to the tank depending on where and how I drive.

Yes, the mpg can go much lower if I don't drive it nicely. I ususally get about 95% or 96% on the app. The best I can get is generally about 35mpg. I was surprised at the difference between my Cali and my friend's on the same route as they were similarly loaded. I'm not suggesting that it down to the tyres. I suspect it is down to the re-mapping that he has had done. Back to the tyres, personally I would always go for all weather which should be a safer tyre, the only negative that I can see is cost.

Yes, the mpg can go much lower if I don't drive it nicely. I ususally get about 95% or 96% on the app. The best I can get is generally about 35mpg. I was surprised at the difference between my Cali and my friend's on the same route as they were similarly loaded. I'm not suggesting that it down to the tyres. I suspect it is down to the re-mapping that he has had done. Back to the tyres, personally I would always go for all weather which should be a safer tyre, the only negative that I can see is cost.
I had mine remapped. Was great to drive but never got close to the tank range from before on a long run. Might be down to me enjoying all the extra torque too much though. In the end had it taken off a few months later but for other reasons.

IMO The performance difference between MOTR tyres and good ones is big. The price difference in having the best is minimal for the peace of mind and confidence. I dare say as AS tyres have become better and more popular there may well be a premium charged for a tyre that can take on every season.

I had mine remapped. Was great to drive but never got close to the tank range from before on a long run. Might be down to me enjoying all the extra torque too much though. In the end had it taken off a few months later but for other reasons.

IMO The performance difference between MOTR tyres and good ones is big. The price difference in having the best is minimal for the peace of mind and confidence. I dare say as AS tyres have become better and more popular there may well be a premium charged for a tyre that can take on every season.

Yes, I guess that the remapping depends on the specification. My friend has had it mapped for economy and has noticed little difference in performance. I wont be mapping mine until the warranty is up.

Are they worth it? After last winter I'd guess yes - only £144 to spec them on the builder.

Bear in mind we might not have anymore bad snow for a couple of years, high mileage will be in the summer, day to day it will be the second car.

Also there are two options: 215/60 R17 C 109/107T or 235/55 R17 103H XL, what's the difference?

Thanks

Thanks
We switch to winter tyres on our Cali but have Michelin cross climate on our skoda superb. In future i would go with cross climate. Trip at easter to the alps prove the ability of cross climate. No snow chains needed and managed to (just about) get up to Val Thorens on a fully loaded (and a tad underpowered 1.6 skoda superb). A worthwhile upgrade if you do much winter driving.

Does anybody on this thread have any experience with All Season tyres for 18" rims? To date I've failed to find anything for the Cali 18" size thats not all out summer or winter tyre.

I'm running Nokian Weatherproof's on 17" for my winter tyre and rate them highly for both winter and year round use - no issue on a recent trip to the Pyrenees in average 25C temperatures (and snow on the mountain passes). 3k miles and no worse off than a summer tyre for this trip.
I'm not really interested in a summer 'sport SUV' tyre which is all that's available for 18's. In the absence of a decent all round 18" tyre I may have to consider switching my plan and run 17' year rounds as my 'summer' wheels and keeping the 18's for winter with a set of all out winter tyres.
I have to admit to liking the change of wheels twice a year just to liven up the look of the van...

Does anybody on this thread have any experience with All Season tyres for 18" rims? To date I've failed to find anything for the Cali 18" size thats not all out summer or winter tyre.

I'm running Nokian Weatherproof's on 17" for my winter tyre and rate them highly for both winter and year round use - no issue on a recent trip to the Pyrenees in average 25C temperatures (and snow on the mountain passes). 3k miles and no worse off than a summer tyre for this trip.
I'm not really interested in a summer 'sport SUV' tyre which is all that's available for 18's. In the absence of a decent all round 18" tyre I may have to consider switching my plan and run 17' year rounds as my 'summer' wheels and keeping the 18's for winter with a set of all out winter tyres.
I have to admit to liking the change of wheels twice a year just to liven up the look of the van...

Choice does seem limited in the 255 width with the correct load rating on 18”. I went with 235/50 R18 Vredestein Quartrac but Michelin’s (and possibly Goodyear) are available in this size. Load rating of 101 is ok for a Beach, may be a touch low for an Ocean but worth checking if it helps get the tyres you want.