Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which New Tyres? - Simple question?

Hi Eberhard

I emailed Michelin and there answer was

The difference between these two tyres, is that the MICHELIN CrossClimate+ is designed for regular vehicles, while the MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV is designed for 4x4 or AWD vehicles. The rubber compound and tread pattern remain the same between the two, however the SUV version will have deeper grooves, enabling it to handle occasional off-road situations

Might go for the SUV. I find OPONEO are usually competitive in their pricing and recommend a local fitter with a fixed price!

Ian

Good evening,

Thank you for the information. I don't have the 4 motion so it might be better to go with the + version.

Regards
Eberhard

Hi Eberhard

I emailed Michelin and there answer was

The difference between these two tyres, is that the MICHELIN CrossClimate+ is designed for regular vehicles, while the MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV is designed for 4x4 or AWD vehicles. The rubber compound and tread pattern remain the same between the two, however the SUV version will have deeper grooves, enabling it to handle occasional off-road situations

Might go for the SUV. I find OPONEO are usually competitive in their pricing and recommend a local fitter with a fixed price!

Ian
Well I've read from their website that CrossClimate+ is more for hard wear and should last longer.
They tent to write lots of nonsense.
My main concern was that CrossClimate+ as a new has just 7mm thread. After contacting Michelin they said this is normal...
I have 6mm left after just 5-6k km. So this crap is for 2 winters max.
Very happy with Michelin Lattitude Cross AT though, but they can't be legally driven in winter in Europe.

I spent ages trying to find a definitive answer on how to identify a difference. Best I could find was that SUV tyres have a stronger construction to withstand rough tracks and stone impact, that related to the sides rather than any tread differences.
I tried Michelin tyre fitment guide and it gave the + version for 4Motion Cali not the SUV.
More I look into the technicalities the more confusing the answers there are.
Michelin Latitude Cross is an SUV tyre that would allow swapping around to even out wear. Classed as summer category but should be ideal for UK all year use. H speed rating, Ok up to 130 MPH Cheaper as well.

Like yourself I tried the MICHELIN fitment guide which comes up with the Crossclimate + when I put in my Cali details, however, I emailed MICHELIN yesterday giving them my details (180SE 4motion), tyre size (235/55/17) I also said that as a part of our camping experience we occasionally go off onto tracks. Their response was:

Dear Ian,

Thank you for your answer

After checking your vehicle details we recommend you

MICHELIN CrossClimate SUV

It is the perfect tyre for every weather condition especially designed for SUV. It offers you excellence in longevity and optimized fuel consumption. It has excellent performance on dry, wet and snow braking, being the first-ever summer tyre to obtain the 3MPSF winter certification for snow usage.

So just a matter of rustling up approx £550

Last edited:
Well I've read from their website that CrossClimate+ is more for hard wear and should last longer.
They tent to write lots of nonsense.
My main concern was that CrossClimate+ as a new has just 7mm thread. After contacting Michelin they said this is normal...
I have 6mm left after just 5-6k km. So this crap is for 2 winters max.
Very happy with Michelin Lattitude Cross AT though, but they can't be legally driven in winter in Europe.
My original fit Continental All Season tyres have done 31,500 miles.
Rears have 2.6mm left (they were on the front door 28,000 miles).
Front pair still have 7mm (they did the first 28k on the back).
I know what I'll be fitting to replace the back pair - very good wear and good grip in today's snow too.