Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alloy wheel dilemma

Him&HerTravels

Him&HerTravels

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hiya,

Our Ocean delivery is imminent and just as I thought we had the spec nailed down my wife decides the Woodstock alloys we specified just don't give the van the look she wants so we've been scouring the internet for alternatives. I dont want to go any larger than 18" as I still want a decent 'comfortable' drive. The alloy we both liked is an 8j x 18 SuperMetal one which requires 255 x45 R18 tyres. This would mean a 40mm wider tyre than what it will come with. Would this have any effect on turning circle, or the actual fit to the van , in the arch?

I've also been looking into keeping the 17" wheel provided as the spare (appox 5mm diff in diameter overall). Has anyone else done this?

Would welcome your comments

You need to check the offset of both wheels. There are online tools to compare different tyre sizes and offsets.

255/45/18 is a standard fitment width so that in itself is no problem but if not a VW alloy then you need to check the offset.

17s can be fitted with 215/60 or 235/55’s

Supermetal site gives load rating as 900kgs (1800kgs per axle) and Offset of 30/50. 50 would be suitable as 30 would protrude too far out. No info on centre bore.

Only thing to consider is that they are 8.5" wide, VW factory use 8" width. Slightly more risk of kerbing as tyre more square to the rim. Many Transporters have 20" rims with 9" or more width and 275 width tyres.

Looks like a go'er, for me.

One query, when i went to the local protyre shop to get a price on the Michelin CC2's for the rims, they asked if the van had tyre pressure monitoring system, and if so they would need to take the 'special' valves out of the existing tyres and put them in the new ones. We didnt opt for the DTPM system but I see the Cali does have a tyre pressure loss indicator as standard. Am I right in thinking that is not valve related but just speed/rotation based and wouldnt require valve changeovers everytime you get a new set. Would be a shame as i was going to keep the woodstocks and tyres as a spare set.

Looks like a go'er, for me.

One query, when i went to the local protyre shop to get a price on the Michelin CC2's for the rims, they asked if the van had tyre pressure monitoring system, and if so they would need to take the 'special' valves out of the existing tyres and put them in the new ones. We didnt opt for the DTPM system but I see the Cali does have a tyre pressure loss indicator as standard. Am I right in thinking that is not valve related but just speed/rotation based and wouldnt require valve changeovers everytime you get a new set. Would be a shame as i was going to keep the woodstocks and tyres as a spare set.
Normal system just uses the ABS sensors. A new vehicle legal requirement.
Optional cost extra was/is for the actual pressure information via the valve with internal pressure sensor/transmitter.

For some reason I cant add text to my photo ??

Super Metal alloys in the size you have chosen but with " 235 " General grabber At3 tyres.

I chose 235 rather than 255 "At " tyres as I was worried about the sliding door catching.

Super Metal alloys in the size you have chosen but with " 235 " General grabber At3 tyres.

I chose 235 rather than 255 "At " tyres as I was worried about the sliding door catching.
Do they produce more noise on the tarmac ?
My BFG’s KO2 M&S were LOUD

They are very nice, looks great. slightly concerned now about the door:oops: but we'll know for sure in the next couple of weeks

Hiya,

Our Ocean delivery is imminent and just as I thought we had the spec nailed down my wife decides the Woodstock alloys we specified just don't give the van the look she wants so we've been scouring the internet for alternatives. I dont want to go any larger than 18" as I still want a decent 'comfortable' drive. The alloy we both liked is an 8j x 18 SuperMetal one which requires 255 x45 R18 tyres. This would mean a 40mm wider tyre than what it will come with. Would this have any effect on turning circle, or the actual fit to the van , in the arch?

I've also been looking into keeping the 17" wheel provided as the spare (appox 5mm diff in diameter overall). Has anyone else done this?

Would welcome your comments
holy cow I thought I had problems!

Back