Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toluca Alloy Wheel required

Hi, my 2016 Ocean 4M has a 17” steel spare with 235/55R17 fully inflated in carrier underneath - seems to fit without problems
Thanks my van has 18" alloy rims, do you recon a 17" steel spare as a 'get me home without mucking around with the bottle of gunk', be ok

As per this site https://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx,
a 235/55R17 tyre is 690.3mm diameter and 2,168.64mm circumference, a 215/60R17 is 689.8 / 2,167.07mm whereas a 255/45R18 is 686.7mm dia and 2,157.33mm circumference.
From what I see, with a difference in diameter of less than 4mm it will be like having a slightly less-worn tyre as your replacement, since tyre tread normally starts out at 7-8mm depth and drops to 3-4mm before many people change them (remembering that this difference should be doubled as is on each side of the tyre, so tyre diameter drops due to wear by about 10-12mm during its life).
Therefore I would think a 17" spare with either a 215/60R17 or a 235/55R17 tyre should be fine. I would think probably best with the 235 to keep closer characteristics with the remaining 3 tyres.
But I am not a tyre expert and woud be very happy to be corrected/educated by some of the more experienced fellow forum members....

As per this site https://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx,
a 235/55R17 tyre is 690.3mm diameter and 2,168.64mm circumference, a 215/60R17 is 689.8 / 2,167.07mm whereas a 255/45R18 is 686.7mm dia and 2,157.33mm circumference.
From what I see, with a difference in diameter of less than 4mm it will be like having a slightly less-worn tyre as your replacement, since tyre tread normally starts out at 7-8mm depth and drops to 3-4mm before many people change them (remembering that this difference should be doubled as is on each side of the tyre, so tyre diameter drops due to wear by about 10-12mm during its life).
Therefore I would think a 17" spare with either a 215/60R17 or a 235/55R17 tyre should be fine. I would think probably best with the 235 to keep closer characteristics with the remaining 3 tyres.
But I am not a tyre expert and woud be very happy to be corrected/educated by some of the more experienced fellow forum members....
Thanks for all your help it's very much appreciated
I will fit a wheel carrier for the steel spare, everyone says the 18" alloy won't fit it but from the dimensions here if it's based on diameter that would seem odd. Anyway I'd be happy with an alloy in a bag in the van till I found a tyre company.
Thanks again
Alistair

Thanks for all your help it's very much appreciated
I will fit a wheel carrier for the steel spare, everyone says the 18" alloy won't fit it but from the dimensions here if it's based on diameter that would seem odd. Anyway I'd be happy with an alloy in a bag in the van till I found a tyre company.
Thanks again
Alistair
Hi Alistair, I bought a set of 5 used alloys from another forum member and the 5th alloy which had been underneath as a spare had picked up some impacts and subsequent corrosion. Not major but clearly not ideal. I would suggest really considering having a steel spare to reduce the risk of nasty surprises when you take the wheel out.
Is it that important to have an alloy as the spare? Personally I can live with the “injured car” look using a steel spare until I can get the damaged tyre replaced and then the steel goes back under the car...

Hi Alistair, I bought a set of 5 used alloys from another forum member and the 5th alloy which had been underneath as a spare had picked up some impacts and subsequent corrosion. Not major but clearly not ideal. I would suggest really considering having a steel spare to reduce the risk of nasty surprises when you take the wheel out.
Is it that important to have an alloy as the spare? Personally I can live with the “injured car” look using a steel spare until I can get the damaged tyre replaced and then the steel goes back under the car...
Absolutely agree it's a get me out of a muddle thing.
I was in the south of France with an Audi Allroad about 4 years back, took the side wall out of a tyre, at least they had a skinny spare with a compressor, and not just a bottle of gunk, but if that happened on the cali it would be an AA job for sure as things are.

Bear in mind that your spare wheel will eventually start looking like this:

Yes thanks
I have settled for a 17" steel and carrier all bought on the net, fitted it on Saturday.
So it's sorted, I appreciate that it won't stay looking good but if it gets us home it's done it's job
Thanks every one for the advice received.

Back