Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alloys - how big can you go?

thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
just looking for opinions/real life experience with what size alloys you can get away with on your Cali?

Saw these and thought they look great - what does everyone else think?

Do you need to alter anything on the vehicle before you fit a set of 19" or above? I presume it affects the comfort of the ride?

I agree, I like them and like you have 18's at the moment, the thing putting me off going bigger is the loss of practicality, with the 235/55/18 I can still bump up a kerb, drive bad roads when we're off the beaten track, festival access and trail running events all generally have crap roads!
I've got 40 profile on my car and find it a real PITA but love the look.

Depends how impractical and uncomfortable you want to make your vehicle.

1. A lot of tyre sidewall rubber means a more comfortable ride.
2. Increase wheel size means decreased tyre sidewall.
3. Decreased sidewall means higher tyre pressures and more likelihood of damage due to road conditions
4. Decreasing choice of tyres and load ratings as you increase the wheel size
5. Insurance companies can and do refuse cover.
There is normally a reason vehicle manufacturers have a limited wheel and tyre set available.

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic...the-size-of-the-wheels-and-tyres-on-your-car/

There was a recent post about someone going back down to standard sizes after fitting 19s or 20s for the look.
I suspect you'll get several replies saying 20s are just as comfortable as 17s but I doubt that's true. You'll also reduce your resale value when you sell (unless you refit the standards).

also how silly you want to look. I am happy with 17inch but would go up to 18 but that is large enough for me.

Our local Transporter custom shop stocks and fits up to 21". Their end products are all pretty high end too and they're always busy. [EDIT: - Not my cup of tea though; each to their own :thumb]

Last edited:
You'll get more info & experiences searching on VWT4forum

You can go rather big, however it doesn't add anything other than looks, reduction in ride quality and reduction in bank balance. 16/17/18 will give you a good ride and keep everything standard ish. As soon as you go 19/20/21 you start bumping about and tent to throw wheel bearings etc, so watch out foe warranty issues.
Practical wise stick to the brochure. If your taking your van to a show slap on the big boys.

18s are the perfect compromise between looks and useability.
Although I wouldn't mind trying a set of 17s banded steels to compare to the 18s.

I have often thought about lowering mine to aid the overall visual effect and reduce the body roll. Nothing drastic but would like a 40mm drop, but waiting until the springs need replacing, but then I'm a tight sod

If you go for 18's do you not have to forgo a spare wheel under the van? If this is the case this would be the deal breaker for me. Have 17 inch Cascavels and love them for looks and ride.

I read in another thread somewhere that an 18" spare fits in the carrier okay too.

18s are the perfect compromise between looks and useability.
Although I wouldn't mind trying a set of 17s banded steels to compare to the 18s.

I have often thought about lowering mine to aid the overall visual effect and reduce the body roll. Nothing drastic but would like a 40mm drop, but waiting until the springs need replacing, but then I'm a tight sod

I'm still tempted by the silver 18" Sportlines and a 40mm drop on OEM springs - I love these wheels & have seen them on eBay occasionally for £449 new:

Volkswagen-T5-Transporter-Sportline-UK-2011-Photo-03.jpg

:thumb
I'm still tempted by the silver 18" Sportlines and a 40mm drop on OEM springs - I love these wheels & have seen them on eBay occasionally for £449 new:

Volkswagen-T5-Transporter-Sportline-UK-2011-Photo-03.jpg

Yep, that's the route I would go. I think too low will make the ride harsh. Although it's a good look when slammed, it's not that practical:thumb

I read in another thread somewhere that an 18" spare fits in the carrier okay too.

I think I have a 16 with the high profile tyre, which gives the same rolling radius as my 255/45/18.
Wouldn't want to drive to far on that, but works to get to a local garage for another tyre.

image.jpeg This is mine with genuine VW 18s.. Factory lowered by 30mm and wheel spacers front 25mm and rear 40mm.. The ride is great..

Does anyone who has fitted larger wheels such as 19" or 20" had to change the wheel bolts for longer ones or used any spacers to pack the rims out? If so what suppliers do you recommend?

Back