Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux heater

The early ones may have had it as an Option for cold weather climates but it is now standard as part of the Emissions Control system. Check the Drivers Door for Heater Labels.
Mine has not got one, it’s a 2018 TSI.

It has the aux air heater (petrol) as standard, it doesn’t have the coolant heater and there was no option for one.
Well, as a petrol engine heats up more quickly than a diesel engine, you don't need that one.
Modern diesel engines are way more fuel efficient than petrol, generating less heat, needing that aux water heater.

My first car, Golf Mk 2, 1.6 petrol heated up in less than 5 minutes.
My second car, Golf Mk 4 1.9 diesel, started to generate some warmth after 20 minutes.

The standard one on diesels is for emissions and cannot be operated by the driver. Gasoline engine combustion is less efficient and produces more waste heat as a byproduct, which is why they heat up quicker and don't need the aux coolant heater for emissions at low temperatures, and give lower milage than diesels. The optional upgrade allows you to preheat the motor on cold days which reduces wear on the motor. It also allows you to preheat the cabin through the dash vents, which deices the windshield quicker than the aux air heater. I don't know if this option (which I use almost every day in winter) is available on gasoline TSIs, but from the above comment it appears not.

The standard one on diesels is for emissions and cannot be operated by the driver. Gasoline engine combustion is less efficient and produces more waste heat as a byproduct, which is why they heat up quicker and don't need the aux coolant heater for emissions at low temperatures, and give lower milage than diesels. The optional upgrade allows you to preheat the motor on cold days which reduces wear on the motor. It also allows you to preheat the cabin through the dash vents, which deices the windshield quicker than the aux air heater. I don't know if this option (which I use almost every day in winter) is available on gasoline TSIs, but from the above comment it appears not.
It makes sense that petrol engines reach their normal operating temperature faster. It seems extraordinary that diesels now need to carry so many additional systems, with the corresponding implications for cost, weight and potential failure modes.

It makes sense that petrol engines reach their normal operating temperature faster. It seems extraordinary that diesels now need to carry so many additional systems, with the corresponding implications for cost, weight and potential failure modes.
And all that in the name of "environmently friendlier engines".

Back