Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative to Comfort Mattress

The best answer in our opinion is the Duvalay made to fit option. We use it on top of the VW one and the combo makes a goods night sleep. On its own you can still feel the seat underneath so we view it as a combo to get the best nights sleep. The VW one on its own is even worse.
Totally agree with dspuk. The Duvalay made to fit is excellent.

Thanks for everyone’s input. A great range of ideas. The cancelled order has left the factory for the ports, ETA at Dealer in 4 weeks. With my Try before you Buy experience I think the shower attachment will be useful for the dog, and the comfort mattress will be a good start point. As they agreed to honour the 8% discount from my Ascot Grey order (the discount has now ended), I decided to order…I’m lying in a darkened room for a bit…

Thanks for everyone’s input. A great range of ideas. The cancelled order has left the factory for the ports, ETA at Dealer in 4 weeks. With my Try before you Buy experience I think the shower attachment will be useful for the dog, and the comfort mattress will be a good start point. As they agreed to honour the 8% discount from my Ascot Grey order (the discount has now ended), I decided to order…I’m lying in a darkened room for a bit…
on a nice matress i guess.....

We ordered the comfort mattress with ours. Was ok but not the best and following some research we bought the S2S sim designed for the Cali. It wasn’t cheap (on top of the £££’s for the factory mattress) but it does improve sleeping comfort massively and is well worth it in my opinion. To put away we just folded both mattresses up into 3 following the folds of the VW mattress and stored on the rear shelf and didn’t need to deflate the S2S. When setting up for the night it just all unfolded back nicely. So no need to store the S2S up top at all. We use a small outdoor revolution USB rechargeable air pump to inflate to desired pressure quickly and also used it to deflate it and flat pack it to get it back in its bag at the end of the trip. Worked for 4 nights camping this week a treat.

To save space (when travelling) we also pack all bedding and towels in vacuum bags and use the air pump to flatten them.

Plus one for the Sea To Summit. We have a 3’ draft excluder stuffed down the ‘Husband’ side of the bed which fills the small gap. Takes a minute* to concertina back up to get the air out and laying on it then replug, and we just leave it up there, so far so good. Just make sure its pulled forward a foot from the back.

* perhaps two it was a particularly fine evening

As others say, a medium (coke can sized) rechargeable pump to top it up before bed. If you unplug both sides upon arrival, the S2S has mostly done the job itself!

Last edited:
We ordered the comfort mattress with ours. Was ok but not the best and following some research we bought the S2S sim designed for the Cali. It wasn’t cheap (on top of the £££’s for the factory mattress) but it does improve sleeping comfort massively and is well worth it in my opinion. To put away we just folded both mattresses up into 3 following the folds of the VW mattress and stored on the rear shelf and didn’t need to deflate the S2S. When setting up for the night it just all unfolded back nicely. So no need to store the S2S up top at all. We use a small outdoor revolution USB rechargeable air pump to inflate to desired pressure quickly and also used it to deflate it and flat pack it to get it back in its bag at the end of the trip. Worked for 4 nights camping this week a treat.

To save space (when travelling) we also pack all bedding and towels in vacuum bags and use the air pump to flatten them.
Many thanks for some really useful idea. S2S seems to crop up all the time.

Plus one for the Sea To Summit. We have a 3’ draft excluder stuffed down the ‘Husband’ side of the bed which fills the small gap. Takes a minute* to concertina back up to get the air out and laying on it to replug, and we just leave it up there, so far so good. Just make sure its pulled forward a foot from the back.

* perhaps two it was a particularly fine evening

As others say, a medium (coke can sized) rechargeable pump to top it up before bed. If you unplug both sides upon arrival, the S2S has mostly done the job itself!
Thanks for more ideas to think about !

The best answer in our opinion is the Duvalay made to fit option. We use it on top of the VW one and the combo makes a goods night sleep. On its own you can still feel the seat underneath so we view it as a combo to get the best nights sleep. The VW one on its own is even worse.
Which duvalay did you get the 2.5cm or 5cm? Do you then fold the duvalay into three along with the vw matress on the back shelf? Do u use your duvalay up top too? If so do u use the original vw and duvalay up top, layered? Can you put roof down with both up there?

Which duvalay did you get the 2.5cm or 5cm? Do you then fold the duvalay into three along with the vw matress on the back shelf? Do u use your duvalay up top too? If so do u use the original vw and duvalay up top, layered? Can you put roof down with both up there?
5. Yes. Yes. Yes. No.

We used the Campervan version of the SeaToSummit self inflating mattress below the comfort mattress and it worked a treat. It was kept inflated when we were away and stored up on the pop top bed during the day.

We have the tri fold mattress then a zonesleep mattress then a gold 5 cm duvalay. I am a side sleeper and sleep well.
It takes 5 mins to pack away onto back shelf. The zonesleep concertinas into 3 the duvalay rolls.

Initially downstairs I added a separate memory foam topper (5mm from memory) which improved comfort but was extra to roll up and pack up and so on, which was annoying. So I tried something a little different.

The cover for the VW Comfort mattress unzips, and you can remove the foam. If I recall correctly, they sandwich a harder foam and a memory foam together to combine strength and softness. I wanted more softness, so cut up my topper foam used that in place of the factory memory foam layer. Made it too thick overall, so reduced the firmer foam thickness. Possibly too tight now in the cover with the stitching under a bit of tension. But is still folds in three. And is softer than before.
Spent too much money on foam and glue, probably stressing the stitching, but a happier compromise. Would I recommend it - probably not. But you can... :)

Initially downstairs I added a separate memory foam topper (5mm from memory) which improved comfort but was extra to roll up and pack up and so on, which was annoying. So I tried something a little different.

The cover for the VW Comfort mattress unzips, and you can remove the foam. If I recall correctly, they sandwich a harder foam and a memory foam together to combine strength and softness. I wanted more softness, so cut up my topper foam used that in place of the factory memory foam layer. Made it too thick overall, so reduced the firmer foam thickness. Possibly too tight now in the cover with the stitching under a bit of tension. But is still folds in three. And is softer than before.
Spent too much money on foam and glue, probably stressing the stitching, but a happier compromise. Would I recommend it - probably not. But you can... :)
...5cm topper of course... not 5mm. :embarrased

5cm duvalay downstairs on top of a thin brandrup cushion on the wire parcel tray (T5.1 can use the parcel shelf in high setting with a thinner pad from brandrup). Its the duvalay matress 5cm shaped for the cali, folds in 3 easily on parcel shelf, down double duvet according to season. Find upstairs the standard bed is fine without any extra mat/topper.

No. We’ve ditched the Vw mattress as there’s not enough room to have both in the top.
Hi, interesting thread and as you have done what I think I want to do I wonder if you can share your wisdom. Im looking at ordering a Ocean v soon and wasn't going to bother with comfort mattress and find a suitable alternative as covered here but do have a question -

Without buying comfort mattress is the back board level with the laid flat seat/bed or do you need another form pad to level everything up first? I have seen some images that show aftermarket mattresses on top of the original comfort mattress like attached but not a complete replacement.

Any advice greatly appreciated, as I would rather spend my money on a complete replacement rather than have to carry two mattresses.

T6.1 mattress.jpeg

Hi, interesting thread and as you have done what I think I want to do I wonder if you can share your wisdom. Im looking at ordering a Ocean v soon and wasn't going to bother with comfort mattress and find a suitable alternative as covered here but do have a question -

Without buying comfort mattress is the back board level with the laid flat seat/bed or do you need another form pad to level everything up first? I have seen some images that show aftermarket mattresses on top of the original comfort mattress like attached but not a complete replacement.

Any advice greatly appreciated, as I would rather spend my money on a complete replacement rather than have to carry two mattresses.

View attachment 115752
I had a Try before you Buy hire. I slept on the lower bed with no comfort mattress, just the seat down. Yes, when lowered the seat back is flush with the “boot“ cover. I actually slept ok, but the cancelled order I took came with the comfort mattress as an option. Whether it’s worth the extra £300 plus, I dont know. But it does fit neatly across the back

I had a Try before you Buy hire. I slept on the lower bed with no comfort mattress, just the seat down. Yes, when lowered the seat back is flush with the “boot“ cover. I actually slept ok, but the cancelled order I took came with the comfort mattress as an option. Whether it’s worth the extra £300 plus, I dont know. But it does fit neatly across the back
Thanks that really helpful.
I haven't tried the comfort mattress, but have tried the marco polo and that was very uncomfortable. I suspect that may be mainly to do with the seat shape and leather to be fair.

View attachment 115752
Yes it is level with the backboard. The contouring on the underside of the uncomfort mattress does create a very flat bed surface. Unfortunately if you are a side sleeper the thickness of the foam is insufficient to provide a comfortable nights sleep due to the various pressure points. I woke up with a very sore back. I replaced the comfort mattress with a Calibed Prestige III folding (having both is a waste of valuable space and unnecessary). So the Calibed is used downstairs and I have the factory pad in the poptop which I find to give a great nights sleep thanks to the Froli springs.

If you’re buying new (I.e. 6.1) I personally wouldn’t bother with the comfort mattress. I initially slept directly on the seats and I had a decent sleep, albeit a firm one. Having briefly used a 5.1 comfort mattress in a T4 (which was great) I bought a second hand comfort mattress for my 6.1. And, to be honest, I can hardly tell the difference between using the comfort mattress and sleeping directly on the seats. I think this is due to the combination of the firmness and thinness of the mattress. Most certainly, the comfort mattress for the T5.1 (and t6 I think) was much thicker and more comfortable.

I think I would be looking at using the £342 for the comfort mattress option and putting that towards an aftermarket option, using the advice from others on here.

Personally, I’ll stick with the comfort mattress for now as it only cost me £100 second hand (as new) and I still get a good nights sleep on it. But this is coming from someone who spent 10 years sleeping directly on the seats of a T4!

Do any of the aftermarket matresses fold as neatly as the VW comfort matress?

Calibed does but the final height is obviously higher due to increased thickness of the foam.

Do any of the aftermarket matresses fold as neatly as the VW comfort matress?
We use a Brandrup IXtend, folds in 3 with the fitted sheet still attached and fits perfectly on the rear shelf. its about 3x the thickness of the "comfort" mattress.

Thanks everyone for the input, it gives us some food for thought, but won't add the comfort mattress when order the cali. Hopefully there is a show we can try a few different ones at.

We use a Brandrup IXtend, folds in 3 with the fitted sheet still attached and fits perfectly on the rear shelf. its about 3x the thickness of the "comfort" mattress.
Thanks. Roughly how much height does that take up?

Back