Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative to roll out awning

A

AlanM

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I've had roll out awnings on previous MHs and PVCs but very rarely used them. So I left it off the spec for my new Ocean which is due for delivery soon.
I have a drive away for multiday stays and would like a detachable canopy for the odd time away when may need protection from sun or rain, mainly the latter!
Hence, I would much appreciate your advice.
Is the Brandrup Top Sail worth the extra money by being durable and can it stand up to strong winds and rain? if not what is the best alternative, Reimo, Khyam or other?

Alan

Seriously, (sort of) jump in a time machine and order the factory option. Easily the first tick no brainer and a good value option at time of ordering. Not a camper IMHO without a wind out awning which gets used every trip in our experience.

Thanks Max I thought the same so ordered one for a Westfalia Nugget I had for 4 years and I used the awning 4 times. I have a Motordome Sleeper for when I am away with my wife and/or grandkids. Mostly I am on the hills with my dogs and need something I can safely leave up in all weathers. Most use will be as a car so awning irrelevant and I prefer the look without one.

Thanks Steve. I hadn't seen that one but looks promising. Have you used it much and is it strong and stable!

Alan

I'm with you Alan, didn't order the factory awning as would use it once/twice and, personally, don't like the look of the crate strapped to the side of the van

I'm currently looking at using just a tarp that I already had with some new extendable poles that I'm waiting on. Had some clips made by big ted on here that slide in the awning rail. When the poles arrive will have a proper play and post some pictures back

IMG_9069.JPG

We use this set up as I agree with others that the awning box on the side looks too baulky. And I have heard that a strong wind can still rip off the awning and damage the Cali.

However my set up is quite a faff to put up and any slight wind (usually when it's raining) causes the whole thing to flap about. I have a side piece that Velcro onto the top to give more protection. It's great in perfect weather to protect from sunshine but that's about it.

So I'm wondering what the best option is myself. I bought the van to avoid putting up tents so not particularly interested in a drive away awning.

Any ideas??? Need something for days when it's very sunny or drizzly and that I can put up quickly. And doesn't take too much space up in the boot.

View attachment 23344

We use this set up as I agree with others that the awning box on the side looks too baulky. And I have heard that a strong wind can still rip off the awning and damage the Cali.

However my set up is quite a faff to put up and any slight wind (usually when it's raining) causes the whole thing to flap about. I have a side piece that Velcro onto the top to give more protection. It's great in perfect weather to protect from sunshine but that's about it.

So I'm wondering what the best option is myself. I bought the van to avoid putting up tents so not particularly interested in a drive away awning.

Any ideas??? Need something for days when it's very sunny or drizzly and that I can put up quickly. And doesn't take too much space up in the boot.

Yes, get a proper awning ;)

Stitches for steel do a nice one, not got one myself as we tend to use the wind out every time we camp!

View attachment 23344

We have a wind out awning , a Fiamma, and a Fiamma rain blocker that slides into the slot on the side of awning. This helps to hold down the wind put in windy weather. It is quick and easy to use, works in the sun and , with care, in the rain. Have used it for years and know it works. We also have a side sheet that gives sun protection by clipping either on the awning arm or onto one of the Fiamma rafters. PS I do not work for and have no shares in Fiamma!!

We are very pleased with our Isabella Shadow 240, very simple, good quality and slips directly into the awning channel on the Cali. By using a third pole in the middle and lowering the extendable poles at the corners a sloping roof effect can be created which avoids puddling in the rain.20170419_1147LR.jpg 20170617_184610LR.jpg

We messed about for years with a slide-in drive-away canopy, but it was such a nuisance, blowing out in the slightest breeze, & fiddly to put up as it needs pegging out to stay up at all.

We bit the bullet earlier this year and got a proper VW cassette awning - it's just so much better - much more solid, very easy to use, can put it up in a moment at any sunny lunch stop.

I didn't like the idea of spoiling the lines of the van with the cassette, but actually it looks really neat & identifies it as a campervan. Expensive but worth it.

View attachment 23344

Sorry but just the same as others - the original awning is always there, quick and easy to roll out, doesn't need pegging down unless it's really windy (when in most cases I'll sit in the van out of the wind), and when it's rainy you can wind it out just a little way to act as a 'porch' so the rain doesn't drip into the van. For me it's just about ideal!

IMG_2811.JPG RIMG_2812.JPG If it helps here a couple of piccies
When we leave a site we are lazy leavers, get up at the normal time have breakfast etc. It then takes us just one hour to get on the road and ncluding fitting the bikes.
The side sheet came from Comfortz and fits on either the side xtra beam, or the awning arm.
This is all primarilyprotection from the sun and it will also stand up to a French storm which can be very fierce.
The satellite dish does look professional I know.... but it belongs to,the van behind!

Back