Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternator belt tensioner.

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
SOOOOOOOOO Bored of the alternator belt coming loose.
I think I'm missing part of the clamp mech? Microfiche anyone?

Anyway, I decided it was time to take action. It's a bit cobbled together but it works and only cost an hour of valuable pub time. Made from a spare exhaust clamp and a bit of flat bar.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

While that is bodgetastic, shouldn't it just be tensioned with a 13mm/22mm star nut type thing that works along that track?

Is one of the few things that actually works on my van!

What I want to know is why do alternators die? The one I fitted in October died for the second time last week (already replaced the regulator once), so I got a new one. That got half way up the M6 before the console output died, although it was still charging and the W terminal was fine.

It stopped charging on the way back down the M6 yesterday, so around 400 miles from install :(

Dan,

Indeed. I think that's what I'm missing.

It's almost impossible to get any tension on the belt before using your other two hands to tighten the bolt, which never seams to hold.

I assumed something was missing when I looked at the rack type serrations on the arm.
A trip to the dealer me thinks.

Regarding your appetite for alternators , no idea. Is it simply the regulator that packs up?

Pod.

Like this?

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t4-pa...-alternator-adjusting-bolt-for-vw-t25-t4.html

They have new tracks as well, in case someone accidentally welded a lump of metal to yours :)

Mine seems quite simple to adjust. Nip up the 13mm, then adjust the tension on the 22mm before tightening the 13mm, no excessive force required.

Could be the thread on the alternator casing is damaged?

I guess it is the regulators that are failing, there's not much else to go wrong other than the bearings. Still, I know I can do at least an hour and and a half with the lights on :)

Ah now that makes sense. That's the piece in missing.

Good effort.

Back