• Thread starter TwentyOneThirtyFive
  • Start date
TwentyOneThirtyFive

TwentyOneThirtyFive

Scruffy looking Nerf herder
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Anyone know what size alternator is fitted to Westies, is it the 90amp version?

Mine seems to have a tamborine player trapped in it and vibrated enough to loosen the top bolt, so I guess it's about to fail.

ta,
dan

Good Q Dan. No idea. Strange coincidence as I was perusing the T6 option list the other day and there is an upgrade avail.

A tip for removing said bit of kit, from underneath, remove the whole mounting bracket from the engine as the top pivot bolt wont come out far enough as it clashes with the washer bottle. Much easier.
Be careful it doesn't swing round and trap your thumb nail causing a) you a temporary Tourettes moment and b) your thumb nail to turn black and drop off.
How do you think I know this?

If available I'd go for the bigger one.

Do I take it you're back on the road?

Podster.

Hi Pod,

Yes, back on the road. Just passed it's MOT and done 1500 miles around the Netherlands. It's a good thing that the top bolt won't come completely out, as mine worked completely loose. I thought it was was the dyke roads that had done it (essentially a long rumble strip when there is traffic coming the other way!), or maybe Belgium. However, once I refitted the bolt I found I still had funny noises, so assuming there is vibration there as well.

Not sure I can fit a bigger one (and this one has always sufficed). Being a very early van, it looks like my options are limited - I think it uses the same one as the T3s, rather than the later T4s. Think it will be easiest to just remove it and find the part number.

Thanks Mr Cheesbrough. I've never been able to find my option codes sticker, so it's either gone or behind the cab carpets. Not sure 120a is available for my van (very early vans have all sorts of weird things, generally done to make my life difficult I think!)

ta,
dan

Hi Dan, That's frustrating. Decoding the options sticker throws up all kinds of interesting info about the van. Good luck in hunting down the right alternator for the job.

120 ah alternator on our 2.5tdi. You can see the model number with little trouble, you stuck your head in the engine bay?

Head, hands, spanners... Couldn't see one. Think I've found what I need now on JK. 90amp, external fan. Looks the same :)

I picked up a second hand one for about €20, once you know the manufacturer and model number you soon find out they were used on lots of vehicles. This can help avoid the VW scene tax.

Often it's just the regulator that needs replacing, not the whole alternator. Regulator packs are quite cheap.

Ta, but it's a more mechanical noise (and enough vibration to undo the top bolt), not the regulator. It is still working, in fact it's just done another 200 miles this weekend, the music just had extra tambourine accompaniment :)

I had musical accompliment from the vacuum pump, tat tap, tappety tap, got it fixed as it was a bit annoying.

Ah the old vac pump routine.....got that particular T-shirt.

My vac pump just leaks oil. 1ml a mile to be precise :)

The van's having some downtime for the next few weeks, so that's on my to-do list.

There a good guide to repairing vacuum pumps on the vwt4forum.co.uk. I got a replacement Pierburg vacuum pump, apparently much better than the cheapos on eBay. Cheap vacuum pumps reportedly start to fail at 1,000 miles.

Not sure if it's psychological, but the brakes feel better with the new vacuum pump.

Go with reputable supplier as oposed to cheapest form The Bay. If memory serves there is some confusion over correct/still available length of push rod.

Ah Welshie beat me to it.

"Not sure if it's psychological, but the brakes feel better with the new vacuum pump."

You don't think they're somehow connected do you? (Sorry, couldn't resist).