Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Am I being daft?

R

Roderick

Vehicle
Just browsing
We would love a California but we simply can't stretch to one right now. However, I have an opportunity to buy a T4 Caravelle. It's old (2001) but only has 25 000 miles on the clock. A VR6 auto which has been owned by my employer since new. I was thinking of having it converted into a camper van. Sensible or daft?

Sounds like a good Base for a conversion.
Low mileage on a vehicle of that age would have me asking the question why. They need to be used to keep them in tip top condition,
As things like cv boots and rubber bushes deteriorate with age. Having said that give it a thorough going over and if happy go for it.

I think the v6 auto is the reason for the low mileage, you will be stopping at every petrol station.

Thanks for the replies. The T4 was one of a fleet which clearly didn't see much use but has been garaged and serviced annually. I agree, the fuel consumption isn't going to be good but I won't use this as an every day vehicle - just for weekend fun.

Certainly not daft but unless you're planning DIYing the conversion work I'd suggest getting a couple of prices for conversions before you commit on the base van.

We were looking at T5 convos (yes I'm crawling into the space under my desk as I type) before we saw the light and realised a Cali was a better idea, and a large part of that decision was the cost of the conversion work. Eg one of the big-name converters quoted us £21.5k (incl VAT) for a fairly bog-standard set-up (although with Eberspaecher heater) on top of the cost of a base vehicle. Still a lot cheaper than a Cali of course, and you'd have the nice retro-ness of a T4. And if you're going for more of a Beach-type fit-out without cooking paraphenalia, it would obviously cut the costs a lot.

I'd just suggest getting realistic quotes early on.

We were in the same situation, buying a conversion is a false economy at the end of the day, you will lose bucket loads of cash unless you buy a recognised conversion (Bilbo etc..) What I did was waited an extra year so I could get the money together and purchased my dream Cali and I have never looked back, also if you buy at the right price/year the depreciation is under £1000 per year (if that)

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Why spend money on a conversion you don't want. As it happens my choice would be a Beach. I figured getting a quote for a quality pop top, rock & roll bed and take it from there.

I am rather ignorant with regards insulation. How does a Cali compare to a caravelle with regards insulation? Surely having a pop top must leak a lot of heat?

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Why spend money on a conversion you don't want. As it happens my choice would be a Beach. I figured getting a quote for a quality pop top, rock & roll bed and take it from there.

I am rather ignorant with regards insulation. How does a Cali compare to a caravelle with regards insulation? Surely having a pop top must leak a lot of heat?
The Diesel Heater is the reason the SE has no insulation as the conversions do.

Fit a pop-top, Diesel heater and bed.
I thought the Caravelle bench seat could be put flat?, or at least there is a version that can be flattened.

Best go for a recognised older T4 conversion, as per comments above the cost of a professional conversion will be high and when you come to sell you will not recoup the cost.

Prices of good T4 classic conversions such as the California/Westfalia are unlikely to drop significantly and a good example will appreciate.

The VR6 Caravelle will likely be a classic as it is in (many) years to come and would probably be best left original rather than being hacked about.

We used to have a VR6 Golf, lovely engine but used a lot of fuel even in a comparatively light car!

Just buy a T4 Westy. £10k should get a minter. Best value van out there.
Same configuration as a T5/6 Cali.

i was in same position 3 yrs ago- did the research found a local firm to do a conversion on my 02 T4 i had, saw ones they'd done. all looked fab then got them to do a few things to T4, lets just say the quality of work was shocking and made me research more and more. For me it didn't add up, risk of getting a good one done that doesn't weigh a tonne to haul around ( as my day to day drive too) but cost saving was very slight when doing a like for like on yr/ mileage but resell not great as so many bad ones out there. So i've saved and waited till T6 came out and got myself a lovely last off the line T5 facelift with all the nice stuff that SE model has without any of the snagging a new model T6 can have ( and we hear of on here). Got a cracking deal with 180 miles on it and nearly £10k less than list price from dealer- winner! :)
can't do enough research and you'll find right deal and combo for you.

I'd buy the works van and covert to gas run and then sell on and make a packet due to low mileage- money to be made on it for someone doing own conversion they'd bite your hand off for such low mileage. Profit made towards Cali fund :)

Thank you all for the valuable info. You've got me thinking - buy the VR6 and run it as is for a while. Sell it on and I should (hopefully) make a profit to go toward a Beach.

Thanks again.

I spent a lot of time looking at conversions but for different reasons. In the end I went for a Cali for peace of mind. Convertors vary in quality but there are some good ones out there. I won't bore you with my experiences but should you decide to go down the conversion route, Rolling Homes is worth considering. Not cheap but the product appears to be above average quality.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Thank you all for the valuable info. You've got me thinking - buy the VR6 and run it as is for a while. Sell it on and I should (hopefully) make a profit to go toward a Beach.

Thanks again.

I'd agree with that - not many people are lucky enough to know what they actually want out of their van until they've bought one, and then you get it right with the second one. The range of uses is amazing, from daily driver to day-van to full on living in it, only household vehicle to third car/toy, so it's a very personal set of choices & decisions.

IMO if the T4 is cheap enough and you know it's been looked after then I'd go for it & drive it around to get used to the idea of a van, and until you know how much you'd use it (and therefore can set a budget).

As far as conversions go, with respect to this excellent forum, you are speaking with "the unconverted" and will get a pro-California perspective. Search for "VWT4forum" to see more conversions (many excellent, maybe not all good) and options. It isn't true that all conversions lose money either, though you shouldn't bank on getting purchase price plus conversion costs back when you sell it - price it all up based on how much fun you'd have with it rather than cost-of-ownership.