Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

An electric camper

David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So here it is an electric campervan based on the London Taxi. What do you think ?

So here it is an electric campervan based on the London Taxi. What do you think ?
An electric range of 60 miles with a petrol generator to extend the range sounds like a hybrid.

I don’t know how they can make the claims of zero emissions and all electric. The difference here, is the petrol engine charges the battery rather than also driving the wheels, but that still sounds like a hybrid to me.

I’m all for seeing a full electric campervan. I would like to see all of the leisure services also run off the vehicle battery. The all electric range is going to have to be in the hundreds not the tens though, even with a future of staycations and trips to the local beach or park being the most common use of a campervan in the next few years.

It’s an electric vehicle, with a petrol generator - Ummmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s an electric vehicle, with a petrol generator - Ummmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it is a petrol generator only, then it can be tuned to be very efficient and very clean for the environment, unlike a petrol engine with a widely variable load.

An electric range of 60 miles with a petrol generator to extend the range sounds like a hybrid.

I don’t know how they can make the claims of zero emissions and all electric. The difference here, is the petrol engine charges the battery rather than also driving the wheels, but that still sounds like a hybrid to me.

I’m all for seeing a full electric campervan. I would like to see all of the leisure services also run off the vehicle battery. The all electric range is going to have to be in the hundreds not the tens though, even with a future of staycations and trips to the local beach or park being the most common use of a campervan in the next few years.
It’s an EV with a range extender, not really any different to the BMW i3 Rex in that regard. I see it as a useful option. With a range on battery of around 60 miles much of the annual mileage for most people will be electric with petrol on longer runs.

Back