Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

An Outsider's View of VW Californias at the Yorkshire Meet

greyplague

greyplague

Following last Sunday's 'Yorkshire Local Meet', to which I invited my son and his partner in their 'non-cali' T5 (just for some moral support), he has now posted a short write-up (with photos) of the event on his T5 blog. Those who attended (and others) might like a take a look: if so, go to
http://stone174.blogspot.co.uk/
When you get to it, be prepared for a long read - it's the full account of converting a T5 builder's van, over a period of about 4 years (I think), into what is now a de-luxe camper, and it's still work in progress! There are some extremely handy hints and tips on the blog for everyone - including information about their visits to many of the larger VW events around the country over the past few years. It's well worth a look.

Re: An Outsider's View of VW Californias at the Yorkshire Me

Very well written :)

Did make me chuckle when he said all California's are nearly identical. I presume that is his stone blue van in the pics? I've seen a very small amount of modified T5's that look original. I haven't seen the interior but externally they are follow a similar pattern.

Big alloys, lowered, front spoiler....

It was a well written blog and interesting perspective.

James

I seen him post up on FB in the T-5, seems like a nice chap. I think what a lot conversion folks forget is that when they compare their 2nd hand vans converted at the higher end of their scale, they are often more expensive than a Cali of the same vintage and nearly always have compromises because of the base van such as a feeble engine, no cruise, climate, parking sensors etc....

Some of the conversions that run into the 40k bracket make me laugh when compared to the factory identical vans, but each to their onn.

A well written article.

It was good to see some thing other than Silver Cali's.
I love it when folk are passionate and it was obvious this fella was. I rocked up to ask about the sound system and he was friendly and helpful.
Vw vans have a good following from both camps...lets not get elitest about it either.

I hope he felt welcome and able to come to another do.

..lets be honest most of the blokes were quietly wishing-c'mon it was pretty cool.

If i had my health and way i'd probably still be bivving under Crags or wild camping. I'd be spending that dosh on climbing kit,Kayaks and far flung expeditions. Wifes just told me to stop dreaming...humpf. :censor

The Cali se was a safe option for us and despite its slight 'purple rinse glow' i love it..its given us some adventure back.

My Dad's converting a 2000 T4 Caravelle into a camper using our Cali as inspiration. Very impressed with the work so far (he's a very good chippy) and the pop top recently fitted is very high quality.

He's quite different from me though - his van is lowered on 18s with privacy glass, debadged grille and so on :lol:

However his was done on price rather than choice - he absolutely loves our Cali!

My first experience with a conversion was years ago which involved my T4 transporter decorators van.
When a couple of free days came up I would free the floor space of tout have a quick sweep out,throw a sleeping bag in, a rest mat, my Trangia meths burner, some provision, a change of clothing and voi'la already to head for the lakes.
Was a bit risky thinking about it now what with all my paint pots and solvents still sitting on the racks :oops: but I did make sure the windows were left open a bit when it came to bedtime.
Ha the good old days.

Back