Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali-Motorsports-Visits

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I know there are a few on here who use their Cali to visit Motorsport events, thought it might be an idea to post details of ongoing visits.

My trip this year was to leave Alcoutim, Portugal in my Cali, collect my G/F from Girona airport, having stopped off at Sitges south of Barcelona to see again a perfectly preserved oval race track built in the 1920s, then last weekend attended the French GP at Paul Ricard. Then on the way to Assen, stop off at Hockenheim to visit the relatively new Jim Clark memorial & the original crash site out in the now forest, 50 years ago JC perished. Then 40 miles up toward Frankfurt to a lay-by on motorway ‘5’ to pay respects at the memorial of my alter ego Bernd Rosemeyer who died during a land speed record attempt on the Autobahn in his Auto Union in 1938. His wife Elly Beinhorn, notable solo aviator died just a few years ago. Aires on the way, and some nice ones too. Cologne to visit the new Michael Schumacher collection including all of his championship cars, at Motorworld. Now at a mad campsite at MotoGP Assen. Monday over the 32km causeway on the A7 and a brief visit to Zandvoort. Then set the satnav to Le Mans for the Le Mans Classic next weekend. After visit Rouen Less Essarts Circuit last used for a GP in 1968 but mostly still drivable today. Dieppe to Newhaven Ferry, then an MOT prior to onwards to Abergavenny.

August, Silverstone WEC & Morgan ‘run for the hills’ at Malvern & Prescott.

Anyone with itinerary’s to share ?

No itinerary this year, but was only thinking during Quali today how good it would be to visit a few European venues in the Cali.....seems the perfect vehicle for it....

Maybe one for next year?

No itinerary this year, but was only thinking during Quali today how good it would be to visit a few European venues in the Cali.....seems the perfect vehicle for it....

Maybe one for next year?

If you want suggestions let me know, as I have been into motorsport since my childhood. My first recollection of a race is Jim Clark winning the British GP in 1965.

If you want suggestions let me know, as I have been into motorsport since my childhood. My first recollection of a race is Jim Clark winning the British GP in 1965.

Yeah, was thinking Austria looked quite nice, or Spain maybe? Thinking of going somewhere for a week, including an exciting F1 venue, Italy for the madness of their fans possibly?

I know there are a few on here who use their Cali to visit Motorsport events, thought it might be an idea to post details of ongoing visits.

My trip this year was to leave Alcoutim, Portugal in my Cali, collect my G/F from Girona airport, having stopped off at Sitges south of Barcelona to see again a perfectly preserved oval race track built in the 1920s, then last weekend attended the French GP at Paul Ricard. Then on the way to Assen, stop off at Hockenheim to visit the relatively new Jim Clark memorial & the original crash site out in the now forest, 50 years ago JC perished. Then 40 miles up toward Frankfurt to a lay-by on motorway ‘5’ to pay respects at the memorial of my alter ego Bernd Rosemeyer who died during a land speed record attempt on the Autobahn in his Auto Union in 1938. His wife Elly Beinhorn, notable solo aviator died just a few years ago. Aires on the way, and some nice ones too. Cologne to visit the new Michael Schumacher collection including all of his championship cars, at Motorworld. Now at a mad campsite at MotoGP Assen. Monday over the 32km causeway on the A7 and a brief visit to Zandvoort. Then set the satnav to Le Mans for the Le Mans Classic next weekend. After visit Rouen Less Essarts Circuit last used for a GP in 1968 but mostly still drivable today. Dieppe to Newhaven Ferry, then an MOT prior to onwards to Abergavenny.

August, Silverstone WEC & Morgan ‘run for the hills’ at Malvern & Prescott.

Anyone with itinerary’s to share ?
That's a real motor sport feast. I'm very envious.

On a recent trip to Italy I wanted to visit the grave of motor racing legend Tazio Nuvolari, IMO the greatest racing driver ever. He is buried in the cemetary at Degli Angeli, on the road from Mantua to Cremona but unfortunately our itinerary didn't allow us the time.

If time travel were ever possible, I would love to go back to see him in action at the 1935 German Grand Prix. That must be one of, if not the most remarkable performances of all time.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/october-2011/53/1935-german-grand-prix

Last edited:
Brilliant. I’ll be at the Silverstone WEC but not camping.

On a recent trip to Italy I wanted to visit the grave of motor racing legend Tazio Nuvolari, IMO the greatest racing driver ever. He is buried in the cemetary at Degli Angeli, on the road from Mantua to Cremona but unfortunately our itinerary didn't allow us the time.

If time travel were ever possible, I would love to go back to see him in action at the 1935 German Grand Prix. That must be one of, if not the most remarkable performances of all time.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/october-2011/53/1935-german-grand-prix

I have been to his burial site, as well as the museum to TN at Mantua, that 1935 GP at the Nurburgring was sublime. He finally got his hands on an Auto Union in 1938, and won the GP at Donington Park that October. Sadly his post WW2 comeback was a bad decision.

Yeah, was thinking Austria looked quite nice, or Spain maybe? Thinking of going somewhere for a week, including an exciting F1 venue, Italy for the madness of their fans possibly?

Montmelo for the Spanish GP is very good, General Admission ticket is all you need, rather than the expense of a grandstand seat. Adjacent circuit camp site is cheap and good.

Monza is fantastic, again a GA ticket is all you need. Adjacent campsite to track is good but pricey compared to the 40e you pay at Montmelo. Also the old banking to walk around.

Austria is in a beautiful setting, again a GA ticket is good. Local campsites close to track. You can walk the old longer track. Across the road is the airfield where the GPs in the 1960s were held, Jochen Rindt coming to early fame.

Incidentally Dr Helmut Marko of Red Bull was a boyhood friend of JR and they raced together, Marko was promising until a stone pierced his goggles and took out an eye.

Hope that’s useful.